PDA

View Full Version : In U.S., Perceived Need for Third Party Reaches New High

ptif219
10-20-2013, 12:37 PM
I have been voting third party. I would love to see both a liberal and a conservative third part start winning elections and show the democrats and the GOP they no longer have a momopoly on elections

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165392/perceived-need-third-party-reaches-new-high.aspx

Amid the government shutdown, 60% of Americans say the Democratic and Republicans parties do such a poor job of representing the American people that a third major party is needed. That is the highest Gallup has measured in the 10-year history of this question. A new low of 26% believe the two major parties adequately represent Americans.

AmazonTania
10-20-2013, 12:41 PM
People will always say that we need a third party to help shift the balance of concentrated power. And then come election time, both sides will always complain how a third party will steal votes away from the main party, splitting the vote and making it easier for the other side to win.

patrickt
10-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I think two parties are plenty but liberal and liberal light doesn't work. Liberal and conservative would be fine.

ptif219
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
People will always say that we need a third party to help shift the balance of concentrated power. And then come election time, both sides will always complain how a third party will steal votes away from the main party, splitting the vote and making it easier for the other side to win.

if you read the link this is the highest percent ever. The government is pissing people off and government approval is at all time lows.

I hope people are mad enough to start seriously supporting third parties. The problem right now is third parties can not compete against the corporate money of the Democrats and GOP

ptif219
10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I think two parties are plenty but liberal and liberal light doesn't work. Liberal and conservative would be fine.

I disagree. We need to stop the 2 party monopoly.

AmazonTania
10-20-2013, 01:23 PM
if you read the link this is the highest percent ever. The government is pissing people off and government approval is at all time lows.

I hope people are mad enough to start seriously supporting third parties. The problem right now is third parties can not compete against the corporate money of the Democrats and GOP

I know support for a third party is at its highest ever, but that's ultimately the point. It's always at a new time high. Nothing ever changes. That is also the point.

ptif219
10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
I know support for a third party is at its highest ever, but that's ultimately the point. It's always at a new time high. Nothing ever changes. That is also the point.

The more the 2 parties piss off people the more likely we will see a third party and maybe 2 third parties become viable

Adelaide
10-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Under the right conditions, and the current ones might be it, I think a third party could be quite successful. Yes, additional parties can steal votes from other parties in an undesirable way (the NDP and Liberal Party up here are a good example of splitting the vote of the left) but I think this might be the perfect time for a third party to gain a lot of ground. Personally, I hope if it happens that it's a libertarian-style party (maybe not the existing one).

The Xl
10-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Well, the Democrats and Republicans do the same shit, so might as well go down swinging voting with your brain, heart, and conscience instead of voting for the corporatist statis quo.

The Xl
10-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Well, the Democrats and Republicans do the same shit, so might as well go down swinging voting with your brain, heart, and conscience instead of voting for the corporatist status quo.

Chloe
10-20-2013, 02:35 PM

In spite of that people should still vote for the person that they feel will do the best job, regardless of party, and that most closely resembles their beliefs and wants, even if it ends up helping someone else of a different party. Eventually if everybody voted that way then we would all be better represented in my opinion and have more variety of platforms, parties, ideas, and people instead of the two biggest with the most money and power which helps them maintain that power.

Dr. Who
10-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Considering the changing habits of people vis-a-vis the internet and the fact that there is a growing number who don't even watch television anymore, in favor of internet programming, it is certainly more likely now that someone without corporate sponsorship could conceivably reach almost as many people via the internet as through other media. It might be rather interesting to see the result of an almost exclusively internet campaign.