PDA

View Full Version : More Republican brilliance

Ravi
10-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Should be barred from owning weapons

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/22/3303721/unsecured-ar-15-reported-stolen.html

RALEIGH — U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers’ husband reported an AR-15 rifle stolen from the family’s home in Dunn last week, according to a police report.
The weapon had been left leaning against a gun locker in an unlocked garage on Kingsway Drive, the report said.

(http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/22/3303721/unsecured-ar-15-reported-stolen.html)

zelmo1234
10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
So now thugs and burglars can decide who gets to own guns

nic34
10-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Should be barred from owning weapons

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/22/3303721/unsecured-ar-15-reported-stolen.html

No, encourage everyone to get a gun so they can defend themselves from idiocy like this.....

:wink:

Ravi
10-23-2013, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't call the Elmers thugs and burglars. But yes, leaving a gun out unsecured kind of is letting them decide who has guns.

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
More partisan whining, overgeneralizing from a single instance of carelessness.

Captain Obvious
10-23-2013, 09:10 AM

More laws fix everything, silly.

jillian
10-23-2013, 09:11 AM
More partisan whining, overgeneralizing from a single instance of carelessness.

because your partisan OPINION is so reliable. lmao

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
because your partisan OPINION is so reliable. lmao

I'm not a partisan, jillian, so that's false. Try again. Here, shoot this down, I'm against government intruding on rights. The op overgeneralization calls for government intrusion.

Ravi
10-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm not a partisan, jillian, so that's false. Try again. Here, shoot this down, I'm against government intruding on rights. The op overgeneralization calls for government intrusion.You saying that you aren't a partisan is like a white racist claiming he isn't bigoted because he married a black woman.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 09:21 AM
While the security of the owner was laughable at best. Why are we not more upset at the criminal?

I mean really, if someone walked into my house and kidnapped my kid while my wife was home, and she was in the basement sewing while the kids were upstairs playing where she can hear them, are we really going to shame the woman in the equation and not the kidnapper?

Lame line of thinking, blaming the victim at its finest. May such warped souls find rest, but only after being pummeled to death with whiffle bats.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
You saying that you aren't a partisan is like a white racist claiming he isn't bigoted because he married a black woman.

Well, in your scenario, if the white guy really was racist, he sucks at racism given his marital choice. Try harder Ravi.

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:25 AM
You saying that you aren't a partisan is like a white racist claiming he isn't bigoted because he married a black woman.

I quite understand that to a partisan like you being nonpartisam is simply beyond your flat world perception and even imagination. I'll bet you saw nothing in my post but "not" snd "patisan."

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Well, in your scenario, if the white guy really was racist, he sucks at racism given his marital choice. Try harder Ravi.
She was trying as hard as she could. So hard she forgot her own topic.

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:28 AM
While the security of the owner was laughable at best. Why are we not more upset at the criminal?

I mean really, if someone walked into my house and kidnapped my kid while my wife was home, and she was in the basement sewing while the kids were upstairs playing where she can hear them, are we really going to shame the woman in the equation and not the kidnapper?

Lame line of thinking, blaming the victim at its finest. May such warped souls find rest, but only after being pummeled to death with whiffle bats.

Great analogy.

Alyosha
10-23-2013, 09:33 AM
More laws fix everything, silly.

Yeh, as soon as you outlaw guns all of those law abiding robbers, gang-bangers, and rapists will turn theirs in. No one will make machine guns out of pop bottles and air compressors or use their 3-D printers. No. If the drug war has shown us anything it's that legislation will stop people from doing what they want.

Cigar
10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeh, as soon as you outlaw guns all of those law abiding robbers, gang-bangers, and rapists will turn theirs in. No one will make machine guns out of pop bottles and air compressors or use their 3-D printers. No. If the drug war has shown us anything it's that legislation will stop people from doing what they want.

Irresponsible Drivers lose their ability to drive all the time

Ravi
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM

So if a kid took the gun and went to school and killed his teacher these two wouldn't be also culpable?

Alyosha

Uhhh, yeh, most racists marry people of the opposite race. Uhhh.

http://media.giphy.com/media/oHpN9bqpOGb8Q/giphy.gif

Alyosha
So if a kid took the gun and went to school and killed his teacher these two wouldn't be also culpable?

The kid would be culpable. If that same kid had an abortion can the parents stop her? Or isn't she responsible for her life and choices?

Alyosha
10-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Irresponsible Drivers lose their ability to drive all the time

And it totally stops them. Not naming names but I know several people who lost their license and still drive.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Hardly. I know the progs would love for it to be so. But there is no jury in the world that would convict the victim of theft for the crimes committed with his stolen possessions.

No. The fault of crime rest squarely on the cretin's shoulder who both stole the weapon, and did the violent crime.

Ravi
10-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Hardly. I know the progs would love for it to be so. But there is no jury in the world that would convict the victim of theft for the crimes committed with his stolen possessions.

No. The fault of crime rest squarely on the cretin's shoulder who both stole the weapon, and did the violent crime.

And yet there are law in states that would result in that culpability.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Are you suggesting the government makes intelligent and good laws out of habit?

Have any examples? And convictions for said laws?

Mister D
10-23-2013, 09:52 AM

:laugh:

Chris

Now you know that failed only because not enough laws were made, not enough money was spent, and smart enough people weren't appointed.

Cigar
Are you suggesting the government makes intelligent and good laws out of habit?

Have any examples? And convictions for said laws?

Law are enacted and amended all the time.

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:56 AM

Another legal positivist who thinks laws justify themselves.

Alyosha
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/wteach/3xmore/high-cap_zps470d3881.jpg

Alyosha

Yes, we have how many drug laws again?

Chris
10-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Like the ACA?

Alyosha
10-23-2013, 10:10 AM
like the aca?

priceless

Chris
10-23-2013, 10:13 AM
priceless

Likely a bottomless pit.

Adelaide
10-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Weapons should be securely stored, I'd expect any responsible gun owner to know and do. So yeah, not the brightest mistake.

Chris
10-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Weapons should be securely stored, I'd expect any responsible gun owner to know and do. So yeah, not the brightest mistake.

Most gun owners would agree.

Contrails
10-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Negligence often rises to the level of a punishable crime. All rights come with responsibilities too.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Negligence often rises to the level of a punishable crime. All rights come with responsibilities too.

Oh dear...another one.

I could almost see that if the owner's 10 year old son(if he had one - hypothetical here guys...) blew his head off with it because it wasn't locked up.

But that isn't what happened now is it? No. Some worthless good for nothing thief trespassed, stole, and now has a weapon.

Indeed it is bad form to leave weapons out unsecured if they are not in use or under direct handling and supervision. But it is even worse form to steal, or blame the theft on the victim of the crime.

With this line of thinking I expect you to slap the nearest female rape victim for having a vagina - to remain consistent.

zelmo1234
10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't call the Elmers thugs and burglars. But yes, leaving a gun out unsecured kind of is letting them decide who has guns.

But what about the right to choose?

zelmo1234
10-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Most gun owners would agree.

I would agree but this gun was in a garage, and was stolen by some thief! it is not like he left it in an unlocked care in the ghetto!

It was reported stolen and it should have been stored more safely, but I must admit that my guns do not go back into the safe until they are cleaned, which is 99% of the time right when I return, but I have been know to run and get a bit to eat, and then they are locked in their cases in my locked garage.

Chris
10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I would agree but this gun was in a garage, and was stolen by some thief! it is not like he left it in an unlocked care in the ghetto!

It was reported stolen and it should have been stored more safely, but I must admit that my guns do not go back into the safe until they are cleaned, which is 99% of the time right when I return, but I have been know to run and get a bit to eat, and then they are locked in their cases in my locked garage.

Agree, but they could have been more careful about locking it up.

zelmo1234
10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
The kid would be culpable. If that same kid had an abortion can the parents stop her? Or isn't she responsible for her life and choices?

You must not use the sacrament of abortion against them it was written by the liberals that all people shale have the right to kill unborn

Peter1469
10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Agree, but they could have been more careful about locking it up.

The is a case by case issue. If I had kids living with me, I would keep my SIG locked up- probably in one of those safes that open based on your finger print. But if you live at home alone, and not in the ghetto, you ought not have to go to such extremes. When I lived in a bad area during law school I kept my SIG under my pillow at night, and locked it up (trigger lock) when I left during the day.

zelmo1234
10-23-2013, 07:20 PM

Like Obamacare?

zelmo1234
10-23-2013, 07:23 PM
The is a case by case issue. If I had kids living with me, I would keep my SIG locked up- probably in one of those safes that open based on your finger print. But if you live at home alone, and not in the ghetto, you ought not have to go to such extremes. When I lived in a bad area during law school I kept my SIG under my pillow at night, and locked it up (trigger lock) when I left during the day.

I had one of the bio safes, I changed to the model that has the combination buttons.

the problem with the bio safe is it needs your exact finger print. cut you finger??? No gun for you. and while the button only have a limited number of combinations, I figure that if someone wants it that bad they will just take the safe and bust it open somewhere else

Chris
10-23-2013, 07:25 PM

OK, I can see that.

Alyosha
10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
You should have a gun safe if you have kids, sure, but no one should live their lives anticipating being robbed.

I hope people aren't seriously making that dumbass argument.

Contrails
10-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I could almost see that if the owner's 10 year old son(if he had one - hypothetical here guys...) blew his head off with it because it wasn't locked up.
Not as hypothetical as you might think.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/justice/north-carolina-toddler-shot/

Indeed it is bad form to leave weapons out unsecured if they are not in use or under direct handling and supervision. But it is even worse form to steal, or blame the theft on the victim of the crime.

With this line of thinking I expect you to slap the nearest female rape victim for having a vagina - to remain consistent.
How would that be consistent? While leaving a weapon out unsecured could be considered negligent, only a misogynist would suggest that having a vagina is too.

jillian
10-23-2013, 08:17 PM
You should have a gun safe if you have kids, sure, but no one should live their lives anticipating being robbed.

most places require that you safeguard your guns.... and should

Codename Section
10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
most places require that you safeguard your guns.... and should

If you live alone with no kids who are you safeguarding them from?

I have several gun cases so that my dumbass roommates won't steal my guns because they are expensive. I have a pistol not in a safe in my bedside table and a few more taped around the house.

jillian
10-23-2013, 08:30 PM
If you live alone with no kids who are you safeguarding them from?

I have several gun cases so that my dumbass roommates won't steal my guns because they are expensive. I have a pistol not in a safe in my bedside table and a few more taped around the house.

you're supposed to safeguard them from theft ... .by people who aren't your roommates. and you're supposed to prevent them from being used by unregistered/unlicensed people.

at least in most places. if nothing else, the safety aspect of it is important, imo

Codename Section
10-23-2013, 08:40 PM
you're supposed to safeguard them from theft ... .by people who aren't your roommates. and you're supposed to prevent them from being used by unregistered/unlicensed people.

at least in most places. if nothing else, the safety aspect of it is important, imo

((shrugs))

I am not living in heavily controlled states and there is no safer house in the universe than where we live.

jillian
10-23-2013, 08:49 PM
((shrugs))

I am not living in heavily controlled states and there is no safer house in the universe than where we live.

that's you. that's not most people.

my feeling is if someone can't lock up their gun, they shouldn't be surprised if it gets stolen or misused

*shrugs back* :oP

and just to point out, the idiot described in the o/p left his gun leaning on a gun locker in an open garage.

Peter1469
10-23-2013, 09:09 PM

I was living in a really bad part of town. I pulled my Venetian Blinds to the floor and pushed end tables against them- so if any nogoodnick tried to enter from the windows they would get stuck and present perfect targets.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Not as hypothetical as you might think.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/justice/north-carolina-toddler-shot/

Sad story. Sounds like a good reason to lock up your guns if you have kids eh?

But hardly a justification to press criminal charges against someone who is the victim of theft.

How would that be consistent? While leaving a weapon out unsecured could be considered negligent, only a misogynist would suggest that having a vagina is too.

Using the warped mental process you put forth earlier? It was the only logical conclusion. Blame the victim for not doing enough to stop the crime, but not the criminal?

This is an abduction of personal responsibility because of the supposed 'blank slate' theory - a false theory. Nothing more.

Cthulhu
10-23-2013, 09:31 PM

I own guns. I keep one loaded at all times. They don't work without bullets in them, and if you have to open a lock or a safe they are worthless to you. And this is a guy with 4 kids. No locks, no safes.

Then again, I am blessed to have a wife who stays home and governs the brood.

It's a case by case basis.

zelmo1234
10-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Actually I know of NO laws that require you to safe guard your gun from theft! You are to safe guard them from Children and untrained adults.

But like Code some of us either do not have children yet, or our children are gone. When I have Grand Children and they come to my home I will of course protect those weapons from them but I have no reasonable expectation to assume that I would be robbed.

zelmo1234
10-24-2013, 07:14 AM
that's you. that's not most people.

my feeling is if someone can't lock up their gun, they shouldn't be surprised if it gets stolen or misused

*shrugs back* :oP

and just to point out, the idiot described in the o/p left his gun leaning on a gun locker in an open garage.

Anyone that has a gun for protection is not going to have the time to get it out of all but the most simple of safes. Mine requires me to push three buttons. and it has my weapon in it but I also have a security system for some advanced warning.

During the day it is on my hip!

Most people would consider putting the gun in a case securing the weapon if their were no children around.

Alyosha
10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
I was living in a really bad part of town. I pulled my Venetian Blinds to the floor and pushed end tables against them- so if any nogoodnick tried to enter from the windows they would get stuck and present perfect targets.

If the guns are for protection not hunting then the safe isn't quick enough. My husband used to keep them in places he could quickly grab.

I wish we could have afforded a gun when I lived in Detroit. Three times our house was broken into and once when we were all home. I was never so scared in my life.