PDA

View Full Version : Even More Republican Brilliance - Texas Judge Almost Blocked From Voting

Cigar
10-24-2013, 08:20 AM
A Texas district judge who has been voting for the past five decades was almost barred from the polls Tuesday, thanks to the state’s newly implemented, stricter voter ID law. The law kicked in on Tuesday as early voting in Texas’ November 5 election began.

As she told local channel Kiii News, 117th District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. This was the first time she has ever had a problem voting in 49 years. “What I have used for voter registration and for identification for the last 52 years was not sufficient yesterday when I went to vote,” she said.

Watts worried that women who use maiden names or hyphenated names may be surprised at the polls. “I don’t think most women know that this is going to create a problem,” the judge said. “That their maiden name is on their driver’s license, which was mandated in 1964 when I got married, and this. And so why would I want to use a provisional ballot when I’ve been voting regular ballot for the last 49 years?”

Many married women do not update their IDs after taking their spouse’s surnames, as the process is arduous and costly. Women must present original documents verifying their name change, such as a marriage license, or pay $20 to obtain new copies. Under the new voter ID law, these women are potential voter fraud risks.

MORE:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/10/23/2821651/texas-judge-voter/
http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/24/what-voter-id-laws-really-mean-for-women-voters-in-texas/

Woman Vote go By By in Texas :hello:

BB-35
10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT it got figured out,right?......so why are you bitching,ceegar?
'almost' denied..<snicker>

jillian
10-24-2013, 09:09 AM

what are you talking about, BB?

Cigar
10-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Obviously you didn't see her interview ... that's cool ... ignorance is bliss with Texas Politics :grin:

Looks like a Woman Governor is potentially back in the mix.

I see the GOP is making enemies of Woman again.

jillian
10-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Obviously you didn't see her interview ... that's cool ... ignorance is bliss with Texas Politics :grin:

Looks like a Woman Governor is potentially back in the mix.

I see the GOP is making enemies of Woman again.

if i were trying to pass law after law to humiliate and obstruct women, i'd be afraid to let them vote, too. it must be making them crazy that they might lose the governorship to a democratic woman...

nic34
10-24-2013, 09:16 AM
....a pro-CHOICE woman in Baptistland... OHMYGOD!!!!! :shocked:

Alyosha
10-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Why would women care about this and not the government forcing people to buy something they don't want--oh, that's right. It's okay to force people to buy thousands of dollars in insurance they don't believe they can afford, but not a $30 ID card.

You guys are hypocrites.

patrickt
10-24-2013, 11:47 AM
what are you talking about, BB?

He should have made it much more simple for you. Jillian, is someone almost dies that means they are still living. If someone almost gets pregnant, or is someone almost gets drafter, or is someone almost gets arrested then none of those things happened.

If only Sen. Obama had almost gotten elected but now we know why his government is fighting tooth and nail to maintain voter fraud. We know why he's so supportive of ACORN.

Alyosha
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
It is wrong to ask the government to make poor people or people saying that they don't have the money to buy something, buy something. Unless it is the much more expensive something that they want you to buy.

It is wrong to ask poor people to go to trouble to buy something the poor people say they can't afford just because a website is down or they have to drive somewhere...unless it is the more expensive something that they want you to buy.

Blah blah blah hypocrisy. The judge should suck it up and get the right information on her DL. People can't use the obamacare website so they have the phone option.

She needs to make it work instead of being a hypocrite. It's only early voting, she has days to get a new DL.

We've learned that force is more powerful than inconvenience or buying only what you want.

Or she can not vote. At least there's no "non-voting" penalty.

TheDictator
10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
The problem was not the law but the fact that the judge's name on the ID did not match the name on her voter card. This would be a problem with or without a Photo ID.

Cigar
10-24-2013, 12:02 PM
The problem was not the law but the fact that the judge's name on the ID did not match the name on her voter card. This would be a problem with or without a Photo ID.

God I hope Republicans stick with this ... it's a wonderful Democratic motivator as history proves. :laugh:

TheDictator
10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I work the polls during most elections, and we see lots of problems from time to time. I have had non-Americans try to vote, some who are from another state on vacation ask if they could vote. Most problems are people who move from one county to another and do not change their voter information.