PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Nuclear Reactor: Power Failure, Venting Steam.....

MMC
01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
CHICAGO (AP) — Officials are investigating the events surrounding a power failure at a nuclear reactor in northern Illinois, where steam was vented to reduce pressure after it shut down.

After the shut down Monday morning at Exelon Nuclear's Byron Generating Station, operators began releasing steam to cool the reactor from the part of the plant where turbines are producing electricity, not from within the nuclear reactor itself, officials said. The steam contains low levels of tritium, a radioactive form of hydrogen, but federal and plant officials insisted the levels were safe for workers and the public.

Diesel generators were supplying the reactor with electricity, though it hasn't been generating power during the investigation into what happened. One question is why smoke was seen from an onsite station transformer, though no evidence of a fire was found when the plant's fire brigade responded, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokeswoman Viktoria Mitlyng said.

Exelon Nuclear officials believe a failed piece of equipment at a switchyard at the plant about 95 miles northwest of Chicago caused the shutdown, but they were still investigating an exact cause. The switchyard is similar to a large substation that delivers power to the plant from the electrical grid and from the plant to the electrical grid.

The commission declared the incident an "unusual event," the lowest of four levels of emergency. Commission officials also said the release of tritium was expected.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-investigating-illinois-reactor-shutdown-080635232.html

Unusual event they classify it. Yet the failed piece of equipment is 95 miles away? Does anyone really think that this radiation will not affect people? Think they can just come right out and say oh yeah.....you're screwed. Or hurry and get as far away as you can?
Electrical grids going out? Guess this another thing to worry about if some EMP comes along taking out our grids. :rant:

Conley
01-31-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't see anything to suggest that any radiation was released.

Other failures in the grid can lead to the next station getting knocked out, even if it's 100 miles away. When we had our big blackout here in CA a few months back it was because something went out in Arizona.

MMC
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't see anything to suggest that any radiation was released.

Other failures in the grid can lead to the next station getting knocked out, even if it's 100 miles away. When we had our big blackout here in CA a few months back it was because something went out in Arizona.

The steam contains low levels of tritium, a radioactive form of hydrogen, but federal and plant officials insisted the levels were safe for workers and the public.....snip~ :rollseyes: :wink:

Conley
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
The steam contains low levels of tritium, a radioactive form of hydrogen, but federal and plant officials insisted the levels were safe for workers and the public.....snip~ :rollseyes: :wink:

Haha :angry: I read it too quickly. Well anyway, trace levels of tritium are nothing to worry about. It occurs naturally in nature.

Captain Obvious
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
"I'm from the government, I'm here to help you - nothing to see here, move along"

MMC
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah no big deal.....it's just radiation. Stuff you already have going thru ya. But don't worry we already figured out the numbers for a specific area and we have determined that these extra levels will do no harm. But ya might..........wanna stay away from the Cows and dairy products for a month or two. :laugh: