PDA

View Full Version : Why Standards of Beauty are Ridiculous

KC
10-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Great video illustrating the impossibility of standards of beauty in our culture. IMO it's unnecessary and it's damaging our society in profound ways. The woman was beautiful enough at the beginning of the video, and would have been more beautiful if she would have smiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bVAl73JvLM&feature=youtu.be

Cthulhu
10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

It's why I laugh at women who try to look like magazine covers. It is simply not physically possible. As a society we have allowed a distortion of beauty to become the rule.

And we wonder why women are depressed and unhappy, always feeling like they can never measure up to these impossible standards.

...because it is impossible, yet women try.

Dr. Who
10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
We, society or the ad agencies impose artificial standards of beauty that make so many feel inferior. Few measure up to the standard, which is Photoshopped, and many spend a lifetime trying to alter themselves to fit. This should really fall under deceptive advertising. All such photographs should come with a disclaimer - some assembly required.

Peter1469
10-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have to consider all aspects- physical, emotional, spiritual, intelligence, wisdom, etc.

Cthulhu
10-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have to consider all aspects- physical, emotional, spiritual, intelligence, wisdom, etc.

I would agree. Which I why when a man knows a girl he likes really well, she is the hottest thing with legs around, despite whatever her appearance may say to others.

Other girls might be attractive, but the wife is beautiful. Being hot, and being beautiful are two very different things in my book.

Kabuki Joe
10-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Great video illustrating the impossibility of standards of beauty in our culture. IMO it's unnecessary and it's damaging our society in profound ways. The woman was beautiful enough at the beginning of the video, and would have been more beautiful if she would have smiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bVAl73JvLM&feature=youtu.be

...I don't have a problem with being attractive...I think the people that aren't attractive are the ones that have a problem with it...you know, the chics that don't shave their legs and wear Birkenstocks...ewwwwwwww...

Dr. Who
10-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Beauty is more than skin deep. Most people fall for the soul of the individual. A pretty package helps to bring them together, but it is the soul that keeps them together.

Peter1469
10-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Beauty is more than skin deep. Most people fall for the soul of the individual. A pretty package helps to bring them together, but it is the soul that keeps them together.

And enthusiasm.

KC
10-30-2013, 09:05 PM

Yes, love has to be more than skin deep for it last, but people who judge only by appearances are only seeking lust.

Dr. Who
10-30-2013, 09:11 PM
And enthusiasm.

When the right two souls get together, there is always enthusiasm. We stress outer beauty too much, which is why there are so many divorces. People marry for the wrong reasons. Lust is a big one. Married people who stay together are each other's best friend. No matter what happens physically - people get ill, crippled or damaged, but if two people have a meeting of souls, nothing will separate them.

Peter1469
10-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Some of my more meaningful relationships were with women who would not win awards for beauty, but were caring and giving people (admittedly in good shape). My first fiance was the cheerleader / sorority queen, but as shallow as a puddle in the road...... I ended that relationship about a month before the wedding / horror was to happen. She never would have graduated had it not been for me. I wrote all of her term papers for her.

Dr. Who
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Some of my more meaningful relationships were with women who would not win awards for beauty, but were caring and giving people (admittedly in good shape). My first fiance was the cheerleader / sorority queen, but as shallow as a puddle in the road...... I ended that relationship about a month before the wedding / horror was to happen. She never would have graduated had it not been for me. I wrote all of her term papers for her.It's like getting a really beautifully wrapped package. It looks fantastic, but you have to rip off the wrapping paper to see what's inside. The real gift is not the wrapping, but what's inside. If what's inside is insipid and shallow, it was a waste of wrapping paper.

Mr. Freeze
10-30-2013, 09:43 PM
When the right two souls get together, there is always enthusiasm. We stress outer beauty too much, which is why there are so many divorces. People marry for the wrong reasons. Lust is a big one. Married people who stay together are each other's best friend. No matter what happens physically - people get ill, crippled or damaged, but if two people have a meeting of souls, nothing will separate them.

I like this Dr. Who :)

I tend to have pretty women who are interested in me because I am in a band. The one woman I loved the most was not pretty by any of my friends' standards, but she got better looking the more I was around her. I met her at Barnes and Noble in the animal training section (my dog was nuts and she had a difficult horse) and we ended up talking in the aisle for hours.

I was with her all through my master's program and six months before I was to graduate she left me for a horse.

I loved her then and I love her still. She was ordinary at first glance but she stirred my soul in ways I cannot fully express. She moved to Virginia to train horses. Maybe that's why I moved here deep down to have my soul still near hers.

Dr. Who
10-30-2013, 10:01 PM
I like this @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612) :)

I tend to have pretty women who are interested in me because I am in a band. The one woman I loved the most was not pretty by any of my friends' standards, but she got better looking the more I was around her. I met her at Barnes and Noble in the animal training section (my dog was nuts and she had a difficult horse) and we ended up talking in the aisle for hours.

I was with her all through my master's program and six months before I was to graduate she left me for a horse.

I loved her then and I love her still. She was ordinary at first glance but she stirred my soul in ways I cannot fully express. She moved to Virginia to train horses. Maybe that's why I moved here deep down to have my soul still near hers.

I believe that souls keep coming back and we recognize each other and subconsciously keep trying to find each other throughout time. We may come together as mates or friends as a soul can come back in either gender, but we try to find each other nonetheless. Some are more aware than others.

Mr. Freeze
10-30-2013, 10:03 PM
I believe that souls keep coming back and we recognize each other and subconsciously keep trying to find each other throughout time. We may come together as mates or friends as a soul can come back in either gender, but we try to find each other nonetheless. Some are more aware than others.
Alyosha

Had to call her out, Dr. Who. She believes this, as well. I think she would appreciate your saying this.

oceanloverOH
10-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Dr. Who, I think you were a poet in another life, in another era. That's beautiful.

Kabuki Joe
10-30-2013, 11:29 PM

...no it isn't, only the ugly people think that...I've met more then a few gals that were gorgeous and very nice...but I've also met but ugly gals that were just plain nasty...that's a stupid saying meant to make people feel better about themselves...

Codename Section
10-30-2013, 11:48 PM
...no it isn't, only the ugly people think that...I've met more then a few gals that were gorgeous and very nice...but I've also met but ugly gals that were just plain nasty...that's a stupid saying meant to make people feel better about themselves...

You're probably not as hot as I am or else you wouldn't meet a nasty girl. All girls are nice to me. :)

Beautiful women can be pretty on the inside but it's probably harder because the world kisses their ass so much that they don't have to be nice to get the same level of attention. I know this is true because I never had to be nice to get attention. I just had to walk into a room.

That sounds arrogant, but whatever.

I met this girl, Emily (I'll say her name so that if she ever does stumble on this in the ether she'll know that I was thinking about her) who was prety but not ready for her Vogue cover. I bumped into her on leave and she was nice about it and smiled and I kept going. She followed me to tell me what a dick I was (I was) and for some reason I asked her for drinks to make it up to her. She was charming and cute and by the end of the night you could not have convinced me she was not a supermodel.

I've slept with way too many women. I barely remember names anymore. No, if I'm honest some I don't remember most of their names, but I remember everything about the night I met her. Emmy had on a white hoodie, pink track pants and flip flops that day.

In general I have found that ugly or loserish guys always think the hot chicks are nice because they want an excuse to be nice to them. If they admitted those girls treat them like shit then they are assholes for fawning all over them. They are also the first ones to say dumb shit like "girls don't like nice men" after a hot chick rejects them. No, dude, they're just shallow like you are.

I just gotta rep the girls that don't get all the attention because everyone deserves to. When I go to bars I don't just talk to hot girls, I talk to all girls. It costs me absolutely nothing to make someone feel good about themselves. Flirting is free last I heard. If it makes a girls night that the hottest guy at the bar (yeh, Cthulhu I know I know but it's true...I can't lie) talks to them instead of the hot chicks then that's just awesome. They had a great night and felt better and I probably had a nice night, too.

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 09:24 AM
I just gotta rep the girls that don't get all the attention because everyone deserves to. When I go to bars I don't just talk to hot girls, I talk to all girls. It costs me absolutely nothing to make someone feel good about themselves. Flirting is free last I heard. If it makes a girls night that the hottest guy at the bar (yeh, @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) I know I know but it's true...I can't lie) talks to them instead of the hot chicks then that's just awesome. They had a great night and felt better and I probably had a nice night, too.

Actually. I really don't. I have never seen you in person. Or in video. You could look like a martian for all I know. Same with a bunch of people. In fact I bet Green Arrow and Alyosha have antennas. And you probably have a large unsightly wart under your chin.

Lol.

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 09:26 AM

@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863)

Had to call her out, Dr. Who. She believes this, as well. I think she would appreciate your saying this.

Reincarnation? Not gonna lie, I can see the argument for it.

Codename Section
10-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Actually. I really don't. I have never seen you in person. Or in video. You could look like a martian for all I know. Same with a bunch of people. In fact I bet Green Arrow and Alyosha have antennas. And you probably have a large unsightly wart under your chin.

Lol.

Nah, I meant reading me for my ego.

That kid just pisses me off with his attitude about what women are like. Derp, ugly women are bitches and beautiful women are nice. Derp.

All women are nice. All women are bitches. They aren't fucking aliens. They are no different than us. I'm a dick and a nice guy. Depends on the day you get me. Like today for instance. I'm stuck and have been stuck for a gaddam week thanks to a government employee taking sick leave.

Can they delegate? Aw, hell, naw. Then some shit might get done.

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Nah, I meant reading me for my ego.

I see now.

That kid just pisses me off with his attitude about what women are like. Derp, ugly women are bitches and beautiful women are nice. Derp.

All women are nice. All women are bitches. They aren't fucking aliens. They are no different than us. I'm a dick and a nice guy. Depends on the day you get me. Like today for instance. I'm stuck and have been stuck for a gaddam week thanks to a government employee taking sick leave.

Can they delegate? Aw, hell, naw. Then some shit might get done.

I agree, human being might be moody, and some times complex, but they are definitely not mysterious. If something doesn't add up, it is usually due to ulterior motives for greed or survival, or some other disorder of the mind, possibly trauma, and the occasional arse is always an option. It isn't hard to spot who has been raped or molested in the past - the eye contact, posture, way they walk and talk. It all tells a story. Sad thing is now days is that you can basically guarantee either has happened to person with roughly 1/3 accuracy.

Codename Section
10-31-2013, 09:36 AM
I see now.

I agree, human being might be moody, and some times complex, but they are definitely not mysterious. If something doesn't add up, it is usually due to ulterior motives for greed or survival, or some other disorder of the mind, possibly trauma, and the occasional arse is always an option. It isn't hard to spot who has been raped or molested in the past - the eye contact, posture, way they walk and talk. It all tells a story. Sad thing is now days is that you can basically guarantee either has happened to person with roughly 1/3 accuracy.

I never thought about that. Maybe he was. I should be nicer, I guess. :( I'm a dick most days...and a coward too apparently. :D

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 09:57 AM
I never thought about that. Maybe he was. I should be nicer, I guess. :( I'm a dick most days...

Possibly, wouldn't know. Never been on the receiving end of it.

and a coward too apparently. :D

Doubtful. Although the fearsome forum warrior who said so probably is. It is easy to be godzilla on the internet when nobody can pummel you in return. Keyboard courage and all that.

Adelaide
10-31-2013, 11:51 AM
I think every female thinks they have a large amount of flaws, unless they're completely narcissistic. I think different women handle their perceived flaws in different ways; some are very self-conscious, some work towards getting plastic surgery which they think will fix their self-esteem, and some just sort of accept them. But it does seem like there are so many different avenues that are constantly pushing us to think things are wrong with us that make us outwardly unattractive and it can do a number on your confidence. Which, as a female, I think that it's true confidence in yourself (not false bravado or arrogance) that actually makes you truly attractive, so I find it troubling that so many women feel non-confident based on unrealistic goals set by certain areas of society and media.

For me personally, I could list a lot of things I find to be physical flaws about myself. My nose is a bit too large, my upper lip too slim, once a month I get some acne on my chin, I feel like my feet are really ugly so I don't wear sandals often, and I'm self-conscious about some scars that I have. I don't think I let those things rule my life, though. I think that I have more or less accepted them and learned to work with them in a way that makes me able to say I am confident as much of the time as I can be. Doesn't mean I don't have bad days where I feel absolutely unattractive, though.

The Xl
10-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Give me a 6 or 7 who's a nice person and not a dumb shit over a shallow 10 any day. I can't stand most 9s or 10s, for said character flaws.

Common
10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Bah this standard of beauty crap. When I was a young guy in my mid 20s 30s women loved big hairy chests and macho kind of guys. Guys liked women who didnt look anorexic and had some hippage. Fast forward a generation and Women HATE macho men and love sensitive men that do the dishs and the floors and cook.
It all changes and the fashion media and clothing industry and cosmetic industry pulls the strings.

Women need to be what the are the most comfortable being and a macho guy is never going to appeal to a gal that wants sensitive so try and find a gal that is comfortable with what you are.

Women get pushed into sterotypes, I dont know any men personally that think the toothpicks on the runway are sexxxy. The all need 20lbs + on them

Peter1469
10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
I think every female thinks they have a large amount of flaws, unless they're completely narcissistic. I think different women handle their perceived flaws in different ways; some are very self-conscious, some work towards getting plastic surgery which they think will fix their self-esteem, and some just sort of accept them. But it does seem like there are so many different avenues that are constantly pushing us to think things are wrong with us that make us outwardly unattractive and it can do a number on your confidence. Which, as a female, I think that it's true confidence in yourself (not false bravado or arrogance) that actually makes you truly attractive, so I find it troubling that so many women feel non-confident based on unrealistic goals set by certain areas of society and media.

For me personally, I could list a lot of things I find to be physical flaws about myself. My nose is a bit too large, my upper lip too slim, once a month I get some acne on my chin, I feel like my feet are really ugly so I don't wear sandals often, and I'm self-conscious about some scars that I have. I don't think I let those things rule my life, though. I think that I have more or less accepted them and learned to work with them in a way that makes me able to say I am confident as much of the time as I can be. Doesn't mean I don't have bad days where I feel absolutely unattractive, though.

Women tend to over analyze this sort of stuff. Most guys just want women to be themselves. BTW, there is nothing wrong with your nose or your upper lip. The acne will go away when you get older.

Peter1469
10-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Give me a 6 or 7 who's a nice person and not a dumb shit over a shallow 10 any day. I can't stand most 9s or 10s, for said character flaws.

That was the point of my first post in the thread. You said it much better.

Kabuki Joe
10-31-2013, 05:42 PM
You're probably not as hot as I am or else you wouldn't meet a nasty girl. All girls are nice to me. :)

Beautiful women can be pretty on the inside but it's probably harder because the world kisses their ass so much that they don't have to be nice to get the same level of attention. I know this is true because I never had to be nice to get attention. I just had to walk into a room.

That sounds arrogant, but whatever.

I met this girl, Emily (I'll say her name so that if she ever does stumble on this in the ether she'll know that I was thinking about her) who was prety but not ready for her Vogue cover. I bumped into her on leave and she was nice about it and smiled and I kept going. She followed me to tell me what a dick I was (I was) and for some reason I asked her for drinks to make it up to her. She was charming and cute and by the end of the night you could not have convinced me she was not a supermodel.

I've slept with way too many women. I barely remember names anymore. No, if I'm honest some I don't remember most of their names, but I remember everything about the night I met her. Emmy had on a white hoodie, pink track pants and flip flops that day.

In general I have found that ugly or loserish guys always think the hot chicks are nice because they want an excuse to be nice to them. If they admitted those girls treat them like shit then they are assholes for fawning all over them. They are also the first ones to say dumb shit like "girls don't like nice men" after a hot chick rejects them. No, dude, they're just shallow like you are.

I just gotta rep the girls that don't get all the attention because everyone deserves to. When I go to bars I don't just talk to hot girls, I talk to all girls. It costs me absolutely nothing to make someone feel good about themselves. Flirting is free last I heard. If it makes a girls night that the hottest guy at the bar (yeh, @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) I know I know but it's true...I can't lie) talks to them instead of the hot chicks then that's just awesome. They had a great night and felt better and I probably had a nice night, too.

...you know what's great about the net, you can say whatever you want and no one will know any different...drive on stud...

Common
11-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Hey YO send a couple of those 10s your kickin to the curb over here :)

roadmaster
11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Most of the movie stars you see without makeup look like regular people with flaws.