PDA

View Full Version : Follow The SuperPAC Money

Conley
02-01-2012, 09:42 AM
The FCC released the money information for the last quarter.

You can see it here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/01/31/us/politics/super-pac-donors.html?hp

98% of Romney's donations (30.2 million) were over $25,000 whereas Stephen Colbert raised over one million with all but one donation being under $200.

MMC
02-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Don't you think Colbert just made a mockery of the whole thing?

Conley
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Don't you think Colbert just made a mockery of the whole thing?

I do but I also think it makes a good point that private donations aren't limited at all, that campaign finance is a joke and that there is little-to-none transparency with the SuperPACs. I know I disagree with some on this board but I think we as the American people need to raise awareness first and foremost. Then once people realize what's going on they will vote for men and women more aligned with our values and people who will work to better our society or at the very least end the two party system that is destroying our nation.

MMC
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Hard to raise awareness when there is to much diversion and deception. But I agree with getting rid of the Two party system. Moreover no one should be allowed to buy the Presidency.

Conley
02-01-2012, 01:42 PM
When you see the money guys like Obama and Romney are pulling in then it should be obvious who they are working for. Corporations don't donate hundreds of thousands or even millions to these guys as philanthropy, they're doing it because it is in their own best interests.

I am surprised by how much Colbert has raised. I have no idea why people would give to that when there are so many other needy causes.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Hard to raise awareness when there is to much diversion and deception. But I agree with getting rid of the Two party system. Moreover no one should be allowed to buy the Presidency.

Getting rid of the two party system would create profound changes. We've have coalition governments many more elections than we currently have. It would enable new political parties to stand a chance nationally.

MMC
02-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I am all for it.....I say let Conservatives be their own party. Libertarians and Progressives their own. The other thing that should be done is stopping all these Pols from trapsing around the country just to endorse candidates. Any elected to office should be about being fiscally conservative with the Nations Money! Doesn't matter who or what party. That should be off the top. For the Bottomline is.....it's not their money!

I happy to take that debate on.

Conley
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
It would be great if we had multiple parties that centered on certain principles like fiscal conservatism, liberalism, libertarians, etc.