PDA

View Full Version : Even the Bay Area has turned on Occupy

Mister D
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
If you’ve ever idly wondered what it would be like to watch the Lone Ranger being led into an ambush by Tonto, then look no further than northern California, where Occupy Wall Street has been forsaken by, of all places . . . San Francisco. When the anti-capitalists lose the support of the City by the Bay, then you know it’s all over: Up is down, black is white, and the Grateful Dead is having its amplifiers unplugged by doobie-smoking vegans. When the Baysiders love thee not, chaos is come again.
According to a SurveyUSA poll published yesterday, one quarter of those in San Francisco who once supported Occupy have changed their minds, while only 3 percent have come around to the Occupiers’ cause from a position of skepticism. By such progressions do movements end. The support/oppose split is now 35/57 — down from a high of 58/34 — and while 36 percent of registered Democrats have kept their faith, 31 percent agreed with the statement, “I supported the movement when it first started but now I oppose it.” If Occupy left its heart in San Francisco, then the people of that city have broken it. It is hard to see where the movement’s dying embers could possibly be rekindled.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/289806/san-francisco-tunes-and-drops-out-charles-c-w-cooke

Conley
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't hear much about Occupy at all these days. I think it has fizzled out, plus as we all know it's not comfortable to camp during winter :grin:.

IBB was all fired up about it but we haven't seen him for a while have we? I agree with parts of the message just wish they had gone about it in a different way, mostly targeting Washington DC instead of New York City.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 12:39 PM
It was so vague I think most of us could find points of agreement. Yeah, I thin it fizzled out and we all knew it would by winter.

MMC
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I thought they just recently arrested some in Oakland? But does it surprise anybody about those polled changing their mind in SF. I mean they use to be against Communists then that changed too. Uhm I think thats why they are called progressives.....because as we all know. Progresives always change their minds. It is a never ending and non stopping endeavor.

Conley
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
SF is actually the biggest financial center in the west, and it costs a truckload of money to live there so I'm not surprised things fizzled out there. Oakland is a lot more affordable and a lot more liberal. Also it's much easier to find good crack there (so I hear :grin:).

MMC
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
pfffft......lmao, Damn near made me spill my coffee with that one.

Alias
02-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Bush is responsible for this mess. Bush sent in his minions to infiltrate the pure OWS movement and this is the result.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Bush is responsible for this mess. Bush sent in his minions to infiltrate the pure OWS movement and this is the result.

It was Karl Rove. :rollseyes:

Mr. Burns
02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Instead of actually dignifying this "movement" with any kind of criticism, I'll just make fun of them.

1. I think it's super neato how all these people's employers gave them leaves of absence.
2. No one ever stopped these people from obtaining financial management degrees.
3. Being scruffy and angry doesn't accomplish all of the goals you don't have.

Conley
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
It's not as if there's a secret to the formula of getting rich in this country. Work your butt off, get to college and study finance or a related field, become an I-banker, work your ass off some more, and get paid out the ying-yang. Done. Various people have various problems with the path (work ethic, morals, other life crises) but if you want it, it's there.

Mr. Burns
02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
If you prefer to do something you love, be prepared to not get a job, or get paid less. It happens.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Instead of actually dignifying this "movement" with any kind of criticism, I'll just make fun of them.

1. I think it's super neato how all these people's employers gave them leaves of absence.
2. No one ever stopped these people from obtaining financial management degrees.
3. Being scruffy and angry doesn't accomplish all of the goals you don't have.

I haven't heard someone say "neato" in God knows how long. :grin:

jgreer
02-02-2012, 12:01 AM
People should be more thankful for Occupy they are fighting for all of us

At least they are doing something not just complaining on the internet give them props for that

Mister D
02-02-2012, 08:46 AM
People should be more thankful for Occupy they are fighting for all of us

At least they are doing something not just complaining on the internet give them props for that

Did you mean they were fighting for us? Note tense. :grin: I'm sure they thought they were but I'd have to know what they were fighting for before I could agree with that.

wingrider
02-03-2012, 01:43 AM
have you heard the lastest ..?? the occupy movement crashed a catholic meeting and were totally disrespectful they even threw condoms off a baclony onto some teenage girls.

story here:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/occupy-wall-street-protesters-throw-condoms-drown-out-speakers-at-rhode-isl

if the Tea Party had done something like this the left would be screaming their heads off,

Mister D
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
have you heard the lastest ..?? the occupy movement crashed a catholic meeting and were totally disrespectful they even threw condoms off a baclony onto some teenage girls.

story here:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/occupy-wall-street-protesters-throw-condoms-drown-out-speakers-at-rhode-isl

if the Tea Party had done something like this the left would be screaming their heads off,

The tea parties would never consider such a thing.

Anyway, the OWS is pro-choice too? The movement was never well defined but like all most American protest movements it's just incoherent.

politicalTheater
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
We will be holding a panel event this Wed to discuss the relationship and impacts the Silicon Valley have/can have on the current political system. Here is a short blurb:

"From the Republican Presidential Primary to the Occupy Wallstreet Movement, we’ll explore game changing insights being applied to elections, government, political protest and investigate their impact on innovation in the US."

Please register here:

http://svii.net/march-7th-innovation-in-american-politics/#more-3325

Hope to meet some of you.

Conley
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Son, who are you?

Peter1469
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey Mr. Burns, long time no see!

Conley
03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Son, who are you?

I make a Grumpy reference and within an hour later he shows up. It's like that movie Candyman where you say his name and the guy appears out of the ether. Freaky. :laugh:

Mainecoons
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Son, who are you?

Looks like Spam to me.

Conley
03-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Looks like Spam to me.

Sometimes on here we have some fun with the spammers. :evil:

I started talking about it in the other thread but D zapped it. If it ever gets out of hand it gets dealt with.

Captain Obvious
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
i make a grumpy reference and within an hour later he shows up. It's like that movie candyman where you say his name and the guy appears out of the ether. Freaky. :laugh:

little fisherman!

Conley
03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
little fisherman!

Oh my gosh, how could I forget Little Fisherman? One of the best spammers ever.

Conley
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I think he was part of the Chinese Five Cent Brigade sent to push their propaganda.