PDA

View Full Version : 73 Dead Over 1000 Injured in Egyptian Soccer Riot

Conley
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Soccer fans rushed the field after the home team won an unexpected victory over Egypt's top squad Wednesday, setting off clashes and a stampede that left at least 73 dead and 1,000 injured in a Mediterranean port city, officials said.

It was the worst incident of soccer violence in Egypt and the deadliest worldwide since 1996.

The melee broke out after fans of Al-Masry, the home team in the northeastern city of Port Said, stormed the field after a rare 3-1 win against Al-Ahly, Egypt's top team.

Al-Masry supporters hurled sticks, stones and chairs as they chased players and fans from the rival team, who ran toward the exits to escape, according to witnesses.

Thousands were injured, and more than 70 are dead, after fans threw stones, sticks and chairs during a stampede after an Egyptian soccer game.

State TV showed footage in which the Al-Ahly players were seen rushing for their locker room as fistfights broke out among the hundreds of fans swarming the field. Some men had to rescue a manager from the losing team as he was being beaten. Police officers stood by, appearing overwhelmed.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7528889/egypt-soccer-match-postgame-more-70-dead-melee-fan-violence?eleven=twelve

Savages. :angry: For all our government's aid and efforts it seems many Middle Eastern countries are sliding away from progress and back into dark practices.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Soccer mayhem is surprisingly common.

MMC
02-01-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-x5QhQmfI

Mayhem.....hehe, hehe! :evil:

Mister D
02-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Good ad campaign.

Mr. Burns
02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
73 people dead, and it's only been 18 years since there was a worse incident? Yikes.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
73 is a lot of fatalities but these soccer fiascoes seem to happen all over the world including Europe and South America. This is the first time I heard about an incident like this in the Mid East.

Conley
02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
There has been a lot of violence and occasionally people have gotten trampled but those are more accidents. I think this is a case of mobs killing people and obviously the death toll is significant.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I don;t feel like looking it up now but soccer matches in Europe sometimes turn violent and I think people have been killed over soccer in South America. Wasn't a guy murdered because he gave up a goal or something like that recently?

Conley
02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Yep, that has happened often. One example I can remember is a Columbian who scored an "own-goal" against the US in a World Cup (many years ago). There is definitely violence associated with the sport, which is weird considering how the players themselves fall down and flail around after the slightest bump.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep, that has happened often. One example I can remember is a Columbian who scored an "own-goal" against the US in a World Cup (many years ago). There is definitely violence associated with the sport, which is weird considering how the players themselves fall down and flail around after the slightest bump.

I guess it means so much globally because that's all there is.

MMC
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Many Egyptians, from the public to lawmakers, on Thursday blamed the police and the country's ruling military for failing to prevent the rioting the night before in the Mediterranean coastal city of Port Said.

Prime Minister Kamal el-Ganzouri, in an emergency parliamentary session, announced he has dissolved the Egyptian Soccer Federation's board and referred its members for questioning by prosecutors about the violence. He also said the governor of Port Said province and the area's police chief have resigned.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/egyptians-blame-military-deadly-soccer-riot-125031897.html

They said people came armed to the game carrying knives. So something was going to happen either way. Then the stadium was burned to the ground.

Conley
02-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Yeah it was freaking nuts. Not your usual section of rabble rousers like at a Raider game. The report I read also said the police did nothing once the fighting began, they just stood by.

MMC
02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
But watch next year they will bid for the Olympics or some shit. Talk about running the Marathon past the Pyramids and whatnot. :angry:

Mister D
02-02-2012, 09:47 AM
A marathon in the desert?

Conley
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
A marathon in the desert?

People are nuts. Three dudes jogged across the Sahara - I think it was around 4,500 miles.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
That's pretty crazy. I'd have a team of doctors following me in a jeep. :laugh:

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:02 AM
That's pretty crazy. I'd have a team of doctors following me in a jeep. :laugh:

:laugh: They did have a jeep filled with food and water. They were running over a marathon every day so they needed constant food and hydration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HidKMFClQUU

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I honestly think that would be damaging to your body no matter how good of shape you're in. A marathon is stressful enough without running in high heat and burning sand.

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh yeah definitely. These guys were falling apart. It wasn't pretty.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:10 AM
"It's a lot tougher than we thought" :laugh: :rollseyes:

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:10 AM
"It's a lot tougher than we thought" :laugh: :rollseyes:

I cracked up at that too! Running 50 miles a day in the desert is TOUGH. Who knew?

MMC
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Run across the desert all to say I ran across the desert. Guess it will take some ET in the Future to come along and say.....well that was pretty stupid. What did it accomplish? Besides you getting Sunburnt and Tired! :laugh:

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I cracked up at that too! Running 50 miles a day in the desert is TOUGH. Who knew?

Their pace seems reasonable enough but day after day the wear and tear must be serious. It's kind of inspiring but at the same time you have to think of the very real damage you're doing to yourself.

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
The pace seems reasonable ?!

MMC
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Plus imagine to try and run when the wind is blowing that sand at ya over 30 mph. Even if it is over a Hundred Degrees.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
The pace seems reasonable ?!

Their actual jogging motion. I could do that for a very long time.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Plus imagine to try and run when the wind is blowing that sand at ya over 30 mph. Even if it is over a Hundred Degrees.

You see all those dunes too.

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Their actual jogging motion. I could do that for a very long time.

Oh. I was thinking 50 miles a day for 90 days in a row. Ugh!

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh. I was thinking 50 miles a day for 90 days in a row. Ugh!

That's just insane. I might be able to do that for one day but even if I was physically capable of continuing my psychological motivation would be found wanting by day 2. Over and over in mind it would be "why am I doing this?" "Why am I doing this?" :grin:

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I think they were hoping to make money from it. Even still...the risks were big IMO. Also they almost didn't even get into Libya (not a surprise) which would have wrecked the whole thing.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Ah, it's not worth it. The potential damage to your body is something money may not be able to fix. No thanks. Plus, I saw them runnign through these little Saharan towns. Who knows WTF could happen there? Are you insane?

Conley
02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Putin's a fitness buff but even he would say these guys were morons. :grin:

Mister D
02-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Putin's a fitness buff but even he would say these guys were morons. :grin:

I think he' saying, "what were you thinking?" :laugh: