PDA

View Full Version : The NSA Spying Story: Can We All Agree It is Factual?

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I mean, I get not liking FOX, CNN, and and other news outlets, but can we all at least agree that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush legacy of treating us all like criminals and invading our privacy?

I don't think we have enough threads on this. We tend to have 50 threads about stuff that hasn't harmed anyone or stuff that is no big deal and less threads on things that set a dangerous precedence for the future.

OH: 4 More Years of Spying! Losers!!! They won. They won. If you don't like spying don't vote for Hillary next time. Learn to win and election you stupid Tea Baggers.

^^so cigar and co don't have to.

Peter1469
11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Hey, come on..., requiring a valid ID to vote is the real issue here.

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes, I shouldn't care about spying, I know. Only guilty people should care about spying. I should be happy with it.

Forward!

Peter1469
11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Hope and change, and all that.

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1396051_10152051005162518_1512076501_n.png

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 01:36 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2013/11/07/how-can-the-nsa-spy-on-merkel-the-pope-t

Why does the government, which has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution, find ways to short-circuit it? The answer goes to the nature of government. Even in a free society, government always grows, always expands and always wants to control more human behavior. But government that operates in secrecy, where no one can see it and criticize it, will do whatever it can get away with -- like spy on the Pope, share unconstitutionally acquired evidence with law enforcement or sate the president's curiosity.

As if all of this were not bad enough, we learned just a few days ago that the NSA has hacked into the enormous computer servers of Google and Yahoo. These two companies, which have been coerced into and rewarded for their cooperation with the NSA, have now been betrayed by their spying partners in the government. They must have been gullible enough to believe that all NSA access to their hardware had been by consent or at least by court order and with their knowledge. It is almost inconceivable that any judge of the FISA court ordered hacking, as that is expressly prohibited by federal statute. Hacking is criminal no matter who orders it.

Even some of the president's congressional supporters now acknowledge that the NSA is out of control and destroys more liberty than it protects.

Why would the NSA do all of this? Because in secret it can cut constitutional corners with impunity. And it no doubt believes it is easier to tap into the telephones and computers of all 330 million of us who live in the United States in order to monitor the few dozen among us whom it really wants to watch than to develop probable cause against its true targets as the Framers intended and the Constitution expressly requires. And as well, who knows what teasing cute morsel its agents can deliver to the president before his next Oval Office visitor arrives?
Is this the government the Framers gave us? Is this the government to which we consented? Is this the government most conducive to personal liberty in a free society? The answers are obvious.

Professor Peabody
11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes, I shouldn't care about spying, I know. Only guilty people should care about spying. I should be happy with it.

Forward!

Any power to spy on Americans citizens without an open court order will eventually be abused.

5 Americans who used NSA facilities to spy on lovers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/09/27/5-americans-who-used-nsa-facilities-to-spy-on-lovers/)

Where's the hard and fast line? Spying on political opponents? Spying on those of us who excessive our right to free speech?

Codename Section
11-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Any power to spy on Americans citizens without an open court order will eventually be abused.

5 Americans who used NSA facilities to spy on lovers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/09/27/5-americans-who-used-nsa-facilities-to-spy-on-lovers/)

Where's the hard and fast line? Spying on political opponents? Spying on those of us who excessive our right to free speech?

Yes.

Adelaide
11-08-2013, 06:31 PM
It's factual, and people should be mad, but I don't know that much could change it at this time and in this situation. If anything, I think they'll say they "stop" spying on everyone, but keep going except learn to keep it a better secret. I think you'd need all the right people in all the right places who actually want to fight abuse of power in terms of spying by the NSA for this to actually be dealt with.

Codename Section
11-08-2013, 10:23 PM
It's factual, and people should be mad, but I don't know that much could change it at this time and in this situation. If anything, I think they'll say they "stop" spying on everyone, but keep going except learn to keep it a better secret. I think you'd need all the right people in all the right places who actually want to fight abuse of power in terms of spying by the NSA for this to actually be dealt with.

Ahhh, but the Senator that is trying to stop it is being jumped on by a pack of jackals for so-called plagiarism which turned out to just be using a weblink instead of preferred reference style. Does not matter that he's fighting back at the NSA, nawwww we have to pick at him for petty things because he challenged the system.

Mainecoons
11-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I honestly think that this shadow government of the Washington bureaucracy including the NSA does this stuff all the time and the elected administrations don't know the half of it. The government is out of control, need to be cut in half and put back within the boundaries of the Constitution. Nothing else will put a stop to this stuff.

jillian
11-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Hey, come on..., requiring a valid ID to vote is the real issue here.

:rolleyes:

jillian
11-09-2013, 07:29 AM
I mean, I get not liking FOX, CNN, and and other news outlets, but can we all at least agree that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush legacy of treating us all like criminals and invading our privacy?

I don't think we have enough threads on this. We tend to have 50 threads about stuff that hasn't harmed anyone or stuff that is no big deal and less threads on things that set a dangerous precedence for the future.

OH: 4 More Years of Spying! Losers!!! They won. They won. If you don't like spying don't vote for Hillary next time. Learn to win and election you stupid Tea Baggers.

^^so cigar and co don't have to.

people on the left opposed the so-called patriot act when bush signed it.

we told you then that no president gives up power and you wouldn't like it when it wasn't the right-winger

Alyosha
11-09-2013, 07:51 AM
people on the left opposed the so-called patriot act when bush signed it.

As did I. And? Why is it that I still protest it and you don't?

we told you then that no president gives up power and you wouldn't like it when it wasn't the right-winger

YOU told ME? Noooooooooooo, I told people back then that they would not like it when Hillary was president. I will tell you now that no party keeps a majority forever simply because people want change. You won't get 16 years of a presidency. Or even 12 probably. You should be protesting now just in case Ted Cruz is president.

This argument that "no president gives up power" is shit. No president gives up power willingly. If you constantly call them on it, pressure them, elect people that are against it instead of just people in your own party, you can make them.

You guys are just weak. You're no better than Republicans. Fraidy pants, and only willing to make a stink when it's the other guy. Excuse after excuse after excuse.