PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to trust you people for a moment

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I saw this, teared up and wanted to share

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1466063_503501373090444_869571841_n.jpg

My husband was a huge Steve Irwin fan. He loved his zeal and his passion for wildlife. He also loved his risk-taking. He, too, was a risk taker. The light of both these wonderful passionate men is now gone from this world, but they represented to me something so amazing about humans, our ambiguity.

He was special forces. He was a tough guy. He was a devil dog.

But he would come to antiwar protests to support what I was doing with hot cocoa. I watched him serve up hot cocoa to a bunch of old ladies who were protesting in the bitter cold. That was just him. He took pictures of me and even let me put a peace symbol sticker on the back of the Jeep he drove onto base.

He would donate time a Hospice or Adopt a Grandparent. He worked at soup kitchens. He loved wild things and thought that alligators, bears, or anything else that could kill him was beautiful. I saw him pull the Jeep over and get out to rescue a snapping turtle from being hit by a car. The thing wanted to kill him but he pulled a Steve Irwin and got it back over to the pond.

I know we all feel we are separated by politics, but I don't think deep down we are. We are all ambiguous people, deep and complex.

I think Cigar and I would have a blast at the pool hall we joked about on Chloe's thread. I think nic34 would love my collection of Terrence McKenna podcasts, and I'm sure Ravi and I could talk about horses or something.

I wanted to remember for a moment and maybe share.

Cigar
11-07-2013, 03:40 PM
This isn't the guy who is dead ... is it? :wink:

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
This isn't the guy who is dead ... is it? :wink:

They both are. Yes.

oceanloverOH
11-07-2013, 03:58 PM

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1466063_503501373090444_869571841_n.jpg

My husband was a huge Steve Irwin fan. He loved his zeal and his passion for wildlife. He also loved his risk-taking. He, too, was a risk taker. The light of both these wonderful passionate men is now gone from this world, but they represented to me something so amazing about humans, our ambiguity.

But he would come to antiwar protests to support what I was doing with hot cocoa. I watched him serve up hot cocoa to a bunch of old ladies who were protesting in the bitter cold. That was just him. He took pictures of me and even let me put a peace symbol sticker on the back of the Jeep he drove onto base.

He would donate time a Hospice or Adopt a Grandparent. He worked at soup kitchens. He loved wild things and thought that alligators, bears, or anything else that could kill him was beautiful. I saw him pull the Jeep over and get out to rescue a snapping turtle from being hit by a car. The thing wanted to kill him but he pulled a Steve Irwin and got it back over to the pond.

I know we all feel we are separated by politics, but I don't think deep down we are. We are all ambiguous people, deep and complex.

I think Cigar and I would have a blast at the pool hall we joked about on Chloe's thread. I think nic34 would love my collection of Terrence McKenna podcasts, and I'm sure Ravi and I could talk about horses or something.

Ah, Alyosha! I too was a Steve Irwin fan.....he had such a zest for life, and such love and respect for all of God's creatures, even the dangerous and poisonous were his friends....I think now he must be the zookeeper in Heaven.

And your husband sounds like a wonderful man; I wish I had had the honor of knowing him. It does not surprise me one bit that you would be married to a man with the qualities you describe....you are such a unique and awesome woman, there's no way you would marry any man who wasn't wonderful. And all the Devil Dogs are a special group.....there's not many that fit that mold.

Thank you so much for sharing those memories; I know how you treasure them, and now I have a little piece of them too.

Hugs
Ocean

Alyosha
11-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Ah, @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863)! I too was a Steve Irwin fan.....he had such a zest for life, and such love and respect for all of God's creatures, even the dangerous and poisonous were his friends....I think now he must be the zookeeper in Heaven.

And your husband sounds like a wonderful man; I wish I had had the honor of knowing him. It does not surprise me one bit that you would be married to a man with the qualities you describe....you are such a unique and awesome woman, there's no way you would marry any man who wasn't wonderful. And all the Devil Dogs are a special group.....there's not many that fit that mold.

Thank you so much for sharing those memories; I know how you treasure them, and now I have a little piece of them too.

Hugs
Ocean

Thank you.

He was superman and captain America rolled into one. :)

nic34
11-07-2013, 04:37 PM

I think @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294) and I would have a blast at the pool hall we joked about on Chloe's thread. I think @nic34 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=572) would love my collection of Terrence McKenna podcasts, and I'm sure @Ravi (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=698) and I could talk about horses or something.

Thanks for that.

.... and yeah, that would be far out....

Libhater
11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I was also a big Steve Irwin fan. I took my military R&R in Sydney, Australia and got to see the a little of the outback. I'll be drinking a Mitty (Aussie beer) in Steve's honor. Did anyone see Steve's daughter on her very own wildlife show? Don't know if its still airing.

Green Arrow
11-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I grew up loving Steve Irwin and Jeff Corwin. It's part of what gave me my passion for nature.

Ravi
11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I found the guy interesting as well. But alligators aren't beautiful. They are carnivorous predators. Only a mother could love that face.

Dr. Who
11-07-2013, 05:54 PM
All creatures deserve to live. I too was a big Steve Irwin fan. Crocs and gators may not be the most esthetically pleasing creatures, but they have their role in nature and FYI they love having their bellies rubbed. It puts them to sleep.

Peter1469
11-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I watched Steve Irwin a lot. He was pretty cool. I expect that your husband was too. Sorry for your loss.

Common
11-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I watched steve irwin all the time he and his wife, he had a gift with wildlife.

Ravi
11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I watched steve irwin all the time he and his wife, he had a gift with wildlife.

Well, kind of....wildlife killed him in the end.

Common
11-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Well, kind of....wildlife killed him in the end.

Theres always tragic accidents ravi that happen to the best of the best of anything. Steve Irwin along with other wildlife enthusiasts good as they may be, theres always the risk.

I cant think of his name there was a real young guy that SOLO on his own would get closer to groups of grizzlies and video them than anyone else. He did it along time and in the end a grizzly took his life.

The gator boys Paul has been bitten 32 times his partner jimmy 11 times by gators and they are considered some of the best.

Steve irwin was DAMN good at what he did.

Dr. Who
11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
People who are really committed to their life's work are willing to take risk. Many things that we take for granted in our day to day lives required risk in the process and sometimes that risk resulted in people losing their lives. Those people died doing what they loved to do. Perhaps better than dying old and bitter and never having developed a passion about anything, let alone have risked your life for it.

Codename Section
11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
People who are really committed to their life's work are willing to take risk. Many things that we take for granted in our day to day lives required risk in the process and sometimes that risk resulted in people losing their lives. Those people died doing what they loved to do. Perhaps better than dying old and bitter and never having developed a passion about anything, let alone have risked your life for it.
Dr. Who

you made me feel good just now. I sometimes have regrets, but that helped.

Oorah

oceanloverOH
11-07-2013, 11:42 PM
All creatures deserve to live. I too was a big Steve Irwin fan. Crocs and gators may not be the most esthetically pleasing creatures, but they have their role in nature and FYI they love having their bellies rubbed. It puts them to sleep.

LOLOLOL, you got that from a Popeye cartoon!!!!!

oceanloverOH
11-07-2013, 11:48 PM

That is really profound......I'm going to re-read it lots when times get hard. Thank you, Dr. Who.

Dr. Who
11-07-2013, 11:49 PM
LOLOLOL, you got that from a Popeye cartoon!!!!!
4491Ha! - a happy coincidence. I think I learned about putting alligators to sleep by rubbing their bellies from Steve Irwin.