PDA

View Full Version : Panetta says Israel could strike Iran in spring: report

wingrider
02-03-2012, 07:38 AM
The Post columnist said Panetta "believes there is a strong likelihood that Israel will strike Iran in April, May or June before Iran enters what Israelis described as a 'zone of immunity' to commence building a nuclear bomb."
President Barack Obama and Panetta are "said to have cautioned the Israelis that the United States opposes an attack, believing that it would derail an increasingly successful international economic sanctions program and other non-military efforts to stop Iran from crossing the threshold," he said

http://news.yahoo.com/panetta-says-israel-could-strike-iran-spring-report-232458035.html

it would seem that Americans will never understand or come to grips with the fact that very evil and nasty people run the country of Iran and their ultimate goal is to completly anahilhate Isreal and then us.. no amount of sanctions or debate is going to sway them from that goal, ibeenadinnerjacket has sworn repeatably on tv that that is wha the will do.. Isreal has every right to defend herself . and if it proves out that Iran is in the process of nuclear weapons then it is going to be srike first or die for isreal

MMC
02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Goes with the the theory they already have a couple and Israel is not going to wait for them to produce more and design it into it's ballistic systems. According to what I am hearing sometime after the Election which they think Obama will win.

The Russians have moved a fleet into the gulf and into the waters around the 5th Fleet and Bahrain. The Chinese have one sitting around the coast of Africa around where Somalia is and Across the way from where Oman is.

Panetta says we may stop Combat Operations next year in Afghanistan. We will have over 35K in Kuwait. Plus we will have completed the Shipment of Planes to the Saudis we agreed upon with their arms deal.

Conley
02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Israel should hit them now IMO. No need to wait. They can't win the war without U.S. help but we won't have a choice. I just wonder how we'll take out those facilities if they are that far underground.

MMC
02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Israel should hit them now IMO. No need to wait. They can't win the war without U.S. help but we won't have a choice. I just wonder how we'll take out those facilities if they are that far underground.

As I see it the only way is to have somebody go in. They won't reach it with any bunker buster. Which means there will be severe fighting in and around the area. Plus it will be a fight all the way down not knowing how many levels. Pretty much a suicide mission. Unless the whole region can be secured. Then it is the fight, down!

Conley
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
As I see it the only way is to have somebody go in. They won't reach it with any bunker buster. Which means there will be severe fighting in and around the area. Plus it will be a fight all the way down not knowing how many levels. Pretty much a suicide mission. Unless the whole region can be secured. Then it is the fight, down!

I am afraid you are right. It doesn't seem possible without a lot of lives lost on our side. I would be fine with us doing the Air and Naval support / bombardment and let Israel send their teams down into those facilities.

MMC
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I am afraid you are right. It doesn't seem possible without a lot of lives lost on our side. I would be fine with us doing the Air and Naval support / bombardment and let Israel send their teams down into those facilities.

It's like Peter said I don't see us trying to get in thru the Mountains. Not to mention that Reactor is around one of the Most Holiest of Cities. Plus we already have Russia saying any attack would be a threat to their National Security. So if Israel jumps you can't count on the Russians and their SU35 Migs having to be encountered. Let alone the Iranians sams.