PDA

View Full Version : Feds Drop Case Against Lance Armstrong After Two Year Investigation

Conley
02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Federal prosecutors dropped their investigation of Lance Armstrong on Friday, ending a nearly two-year effort aimed at determining whether the seven-time Tour de France winner and his teammates participated in a doping program.

Armstrong has steadfastly denied he doped during his unparalleled career, but the possibility of criminal charges threatened to stain his legacy as the world's greatest cyclist and could have cast a shadow over his cancer charity work.

"This is great news," Armstrong attorney Mark Fabiani said in a statement. "Lance is pleased that the United States Attorney made the right decision, and he is more determined than ever to devote his time and energy to Livestrong and to the causes that have defined his career."

The probe, anchored in Los Angeles where a grand jury was presented evidence by federal prosecutors and heard testimony from Armstrong's former teammates and associates, began with a separate investigation of Rock Racing, a cycling team owned by fashion entrepreneur Michael Ball.

U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. announced in a press release that his office "is closing an investigation into allegations of federal criminal conduct by members and associates of a professional bicycle racing team owned in part by Lance Armstrong."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/7538482/federal-prosecutors-close-lance-armstrong-doping-case-press-charges

Great job DoJ :rollseyes: Failed on Barry Bonds, Failing on Roger Clemens, and now this crap. How about investigating real criminals? I don't even want to think about how much taxpayer money was wasted in this mess. Those three guys have hundreds of millions of dollars to spend on legal fees and fought the government to a draw. I wonder how much it costs us.

MMC
02-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Hmmmm I fought the law and the law won. Oh, thats right.....I didnt have any money at the time. :wink:

Conley
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Hmmmm I fought the law and the law won. Oh, thats right.....I didnt have any money at the time. :wink:

Exactly, it all depends on how good of a lawyer you can afford.

MMC
02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Although I am tired of Congress wasting the American People's Time with Hearings on Steroids and this calling of Athletes. Then they want to try and hook a mofo up for lying to Congress. Well they wouldn't have lied if they never was called.

Not to mention Congress can come together to throw out some useless award or recognition to someone. Then they think thats working for the people. What people should start doing is throwing those awards right back in their face.

Mister D
02-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, now focus on important issues like gay marriage. :rollseyes: I despise this government.

Conley
02-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Even though I think the investigation into Clemens was stupid, I don't think you should be able to lie to Congress and get away with it. However they have to use common sense and when they don't have a case, drop it. The prosecution already screwed that one up and they had to declare a mistrial, they should just let it go.