PDA

View Full Version : The French Are Better At Parenting Than Americans

Conley
02-04-2012, 05:30 PM
:evil:

While Americans fret over modern parenthood, the French are raising happy, well-behaved children without all the anxiety. Pamela Druckerman on the Gallic secrets for avoiding tantrums, teaching patience and saying 'non' with authority.

...Though by that time I'd lived in France for a few years, I couldn't explain this. And once I started thinking about French parenting, I realized it wasn't just mealtime that was different. I suddenly had lots of questions. Why was it, for example, that in the hundreds of hours I'd clocked at French playgrounds, I'd never seen a child (except my own) throw a temper tantrum? Why didn't my French friends ever need to rush off the phone because their kids were demanding something? Why hadn't their living rooms been taken over by teepees and toy kitchens, the way ours had?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204740904577196931457473816.html

Isn't it something how people will jump to conclusions about entire countries just based on personal experience?

Mister D
02-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I think this may be a faulty generalization. Granted, the cultures are different and if this had been said about east Asian children I would probably agree since it jives with everything else I've read and heard. That said, it seems that French people don't throwing temper tantrums until they reach adulthood. :grin:

jgreer
02-04-2012, 09:28 PM
What have you read about East Asian kids? Are you talking about that tiger mom stuff

Conley
02-04-2012, 09:38 PM
It seems like criticizing American parents is very en vogue (that's a French term :grin:).

Mister D
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
What have you read about East Asian kids? Are you talking about that tiger mom stuff

No, I'm talking about the greater conformity and discipline that is readily apparent in east Asian cultures.

Mister D
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
It seems like criticizing American parents is very en vogue (that's a French term :grin:).

He's gonna lose his shit when he gets back. Fancy greatcoats, fancy words, better parenting...:shocked:

Conley
No, I'm talking about the greater conformity and discipline that is readily apparent in east Asian cultures.

Many of those individuals seem to go on to good success in this country, but it doesn't seem like those countries are particularly successful themselves. I wonder why that is.

Conley
He's gonna lose his shit when he gets back. Fancy greatcoats, fancy words, better parenting...:shocked:

:evil: :grin:

Mister D
02-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Many of those individuals seem to go on to good success in this country, but it doesn't seem like those countries are particularly successful themselves. I wonder why that is.

My two cents: such a high degree of social conformity has drawbacks. People are simply less daring, less innovative etc. On the other hand, I guess it comes down what we mean by success.

Conley
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I meant in terms of the national economy.

I bet many of those countries thanks to the human rights abuses have much lower levels of crime, Singapore and Japan might have higher standards of living by some measures?

It's all relative. We here in the U.S. work our tails off compared to the Europeans, so I would imagine the disparity in discipline is even more pronounced there.

Mister D
02-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I meant in terms of the national economy.

I bet many of those countries thanks to the human rights abuses have much lower levels of crime, Singapore and Japan might have higher standards of living by some measures?

It's all relative. We here in the U.S. work our tails off compared to the Europeans, so I would imagine the disparity in discipline is even more pronounced there.

I think Japan and Europe have a much higher quality of life than we do. Not sure about Singapore. There are some very poor people in Singapore from what I understand. Yeah, we bust our humps but for what? Work is important and has an important place in a man's life but, IMHO, it should not intrude on the family and the sacred.

I'm not sure about European children in a strictly biological sense but they sure do seem like little bitches when their 12 hour work week is threatened.

Conley
02-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Ah, yeah Singapore is probably one of those countries with a big wealth disparity. Japan seems like a workaholic kind of place but I could definitely fit in a relaxed European setting...say Paris or some beautiful city like that. :wink:

Mister D
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Ah, yeah Singapore is probably one of those countries with a big wealth disparity. Japan seems like a workaholic kind of place but I could definitely fit in a relaxed European setting...say Paris or some beautiful city like that. :wink:

:grin:

I think the Japanese work ethic is more community oriented though. It's not all about me and getting more stuff.

Mister D
02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
As per Wikipedia, Japan used to have a 45-48 hour workweek which began to declin to 40 in 1980 and thereafter.

Conley
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
:grin:

I think the Japanese work ethic is more community oriented though. It's not all about me and getting more stuff.

I have that impression as well. I respect that a lot more. There's nothing wrong with hard work.