PDA

View Full Version : Autumn is soup and stew season

oceanloverOH
11-17-2013, 02:12 PM
The leaves are almost all off the trees, it's much cooler and brisker outside, with a lot of gloom and rain. Perfect weather for my first stew of the season!

Beef Stew (Half Recipe)
Prep time - about 1 hour
Cook time - about 3.5-4 hours
•1 pound cubed beef stew meat (chop into smaller bite-sized pieces)
•¼ cup flour
•½ tsp garlic powder
•½ tsp onion powder
•½ tsp ground black pepper
•¼ cup olive oil
•1 carton (32 oz) plus one can (14 oz) low-sodium beef broth (have an extra can if needed)
•2 tsp A-1 sauce
•2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
•2 tsp ketchup
•2 tsp minced garlic (I use the kind already chopped up in a jar)
•1 bay leaf
•½ tsp dried parsley
•½ tsp ground black pepper (separate from that used for the flour mixture)
•1 medium sweet onion, chopped
•½ - ¾ lb baby potatoes (white, red or yellow), washed and quartered/eighthed
•½ small bag baby carrots (about 20-30), quartered or sliced
•2 -3 large stalks celery, sliced into ½ inch pieces
•2 Tbsp cornstarch
•2 Tbsp cold tap water
•Optional additions per preference (last 30 minutes of cooking):
----1 can diced tomatoes with juice
----1 cup frozen corn or 1 can corn, drained
----1 cup frozen peas or 1 can peas, drained

Place flour, garlic and onion powders, and pepper in a large ziplock baggie, add the prepared meat, zip bag closed and shake to coat all pieces evenly. In a 4-6 qt. Dutch oven, add oil and heat over medium heat till hot. Add contents of bag to hot oil in pot; stir and cook until quite brown and most of oil is gone. Add beef broth, A-1, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup to pot. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, parsley, pepper and chopped onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover with lid very slightly tilted and simmer 1 hour. Stir potatoes, carrots, and celery into the pot. Tilt cover and simmer 2 hours more, adding a little beef broth or water if stew seems too thick. Add in any optional veggies during the last 30 minutes of cooking, again adding a little beef broth or water if needed.

If stew gravy is too thin for your liking, dissolve cornstarch in cold water and stir into stew. Let stew sit away from heat for 15 min before serving (remember that stew will thicken a bit as it sits.) Refrigerate leftover stew. Stew will be quite thick after refrigeration; add a little water or beef broth when reheating. Half recipe serves about 4.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm still grilling steaks.

Marinating chicken thighs for today even though it's rainy (but a little warm) here in lovely O-hi-O.

Matty
11-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Fried shrimp tonight with salad. First cold spell in Fla I'm gonna make that stew.

Mister D
11-17-2013, 03:45 PM
oceanloverOH All year for me. :smiley:

countryboy
11-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Fried shrimp tonight with salad. First cold spell in Fla I'm gonna make that stew.
What's a cold spell in Florida? 60 degrees? :rolleyes:

countryboy
11-17-2013, 03:50 PM
The leaves are almost all off the trees, it's much cooler and brisker outside, with a lot of gloom and rain. Perfect weather for my first stew of the season!Beef Stew (Half Recipe)Prep time - about 1 hourCook time - about 3.5-4 hours•1 pound cubed beef stew meat (chop into smaller bite-sized pieces)•¼ cup flour•½ tsp garlic powder•½ tsp onion powder•½ tsp ground black pepper•¼ cup olive oil •1 carton (32 oz) plus one can (14 oz) low-sodium beef broth (have an extra can if needed)•2 tsp A-1 sauce•2 tsp Worcestershire sauce•2 tsp ketchup•2 tsp minced garlic (I use the kind already chopped up in a jar)•1 bay leaf •½ tsp dried parsley •½ tsp ground black pepper (separate from that used for the flour mixture)•1 medium sweet onion, chopped •½ - ¾ lb baby potatoes (white, red or yellow), washed and quartered/eighthed •½ small bag baby carrots (about 20-30), quartered or sliced•2 -3 large stalks celery, sliced into ½ inch pieces •2 Tbsp cornstarch •2 Tbsp cold tap water •Optional additions per preference (last 30 minutes of cooking):----1 can diced tomatoes with juice----1 cup frozen corn or 1 can corn, drained----1 cup frozen peas or 1 can peas, drainedPlace flour, garlic and onion powders, and pepper in a large ziplock baggie, add the prepared meat, zip bag closed and shake to coat all pieces evenly. In a 4-6 qt. Dutch oven, add oil and heat over medium heat till hot. Add contents of bag to hot oil in pot; stir and cook until quite brown and most of oil is gone. Add beef broth, A-1, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup to pot. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, parsley, pepper and chopped onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover with lid very slightly tilted and simmer 1 hour. Stir potatoes, carrots, and celery into the pot. Tilt cover and simmer 2 hours more, adding a little beef broth or water if stew seems too thick. Add in any optional veggies during the last 30 minutes of cooking, again adding a little beef broth or water if needed. If stew gravy is too thin for your liking, dissolve cornstarch in cold water and stir into stew. Let stew sit away from heat for 15 min before serving (remember that stew will thicken a bit as it sits.) Refrigerate leftover stew. Stew will be quite thick after refrigeration; add a little water or beef broth when reheating. Half recipe serves about 4.

Looks like a great, heart healthy recipe Ocean. I'm gonna give it a try, thanks. :)

Although, I'll prolly hafta add some salt, or at least use full sodium broth. :wink:

oceanloverOH
11-17-2013, 04:31 PM

My Mom's recipe....let me know if you like it!

oceanloverOH
11-17-2013, 04:32 PM
My Mom's recipe....let me know if you like it!

Well, yeah, me too....I keep making soups even through the summer, although usually lighter ones.

Common
11-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I like lamb stew most people do not I guess, I have had it where it was terrible and tasted gamey. Beef stew is an old staple.