PDA

View Full Version : Santorum Claims Obama Will Block Stroke Treatment for Patients Over 70

Conley
02-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum on Friday backed prominent conservative James Dobson's claim that President Barack Obama's administration would block medical treatment for stroke patients over age 70. Professional medical groups have called such statements bogus.

During a forum inside a church, Dobson cited an anonymous caller to a conservative radio show who said "for patients over 70 years of age, that advanced neurosurgical care was not generally indicated." The caller claimed that patients would be offered "comfort care" unless a panel of bureaucrats approved more significant treatment.

"That's called `death panels.' Sarah Palin was right. That means death to that person," said Dobson, founder of the conservative group Focus on the Family.

Palin, the GOP's vice presidential nominee in 2008, coined the term "death panel" in response to the administration's health care law, although her argument was roundly criticized as inaccurate.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2012/02/03/santorum_pushes_discredited_stroke_claim/?camp=obinsite

There are plenty of legitimate attacks to be made on Obama without needing to resort to something like this. Although I suppose part of Santorum's rhetoric may be so full of hyperbole because he needs to make outrageous claims in order to be noticed. I really haven't heard much from his camp since it came out that he won Iowa.

wingrider
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
this is an interesting item you posted I want to do further research on this and see just what it is they are claiming and whether or not it has merit... thanks for the info

Conley
02-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Sure thing Wing, good to see you on this evening. Hope all is going well there and you're making it through the winter ok.

I look forward to reading what you find out, I didn't do much background digging on this one and took the article at face value (always a risk) based on what I have read previously.

wingrider
02-07-2012, 12:46 AM
That is why The Department of Health and Human Services apparently has taken to referring to patients as “units” and singling out “units over the age of 70” as a group, which will, if these reports are correct, have to prove to bureaucratic committees they deserve life-saving treatment rather than just receiving “comfort care” to ease their passing.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1405&t=8500612

I don't know whether to put any credence to this or not.. but this is probably what Santorum and Dodson are talking about.

it has to do with the life curve and your input into the production of society.. I cant remember who came up with this theory It could be Cass sunstein or one of Obamas other
czars.. but basicall it says that after 70 you have no input to production of society therefor your medical needs as a unit are not feasable to your costs

in other words if you get sick and can't produce screw you die already.