PDA

View Full Version : Irony at its finest

Ravi
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
The local prosecutor says a fellow white supremacist had apparently targeted Cobb with racial graffiti after he'd found out that Cobb's DNA results said he was part black.

“The individual in question was interviewed, and when his interview answers weren’t matching up, he essentially admitted it," Grant County Assistant State's Atty. Todd Schwarz told the Los Angeles Times. "The one that tipped it off -- he painted on the house, 'BACK IN BLACK,' and he’s not an AC/DC (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/ac%2Fdc-%28music-group%29-PECLB0004960.topic) fan."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-white-supremacist-20131120,0,6029460.story

Green Arrow
11-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Heh. Oops.

Chris
11-21-2013, 10:25 AM
According to dictionary.com:

i·ro·ny1 [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA
noun, plural i·ro·nies.
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend....

Origin:
1495–1505; < Latin īrōnīa < Greek eirōneía dissimulation, sarcasm, understatement, equivalent to eírōn a dissembler + -eia -y3

Synonyms
1, 2. Irony, sarcasm, satire indicate mockery of something or someone....

The word is often misused: Isn’t It Ironic? Probably Not (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/isnt-it-ironic-probably-not/?_r=0)

...Irony confuses. Let’s leave dramatic irony (you know, back when irony was tragic and the audience knew what was going to happen to Oedipus before he did) aside, as well as the debate over the supposed death of irony (after irony became comic, a subject that the Book Review’s former editor Chip McGrath amusingly chronicled here). Instead, let’s talk about how we talk — and write.

Irony requires an opposing meaning between what’s said and what’s intended. Sounds simple, but it’s not. A paradox, something that seems contradictory but may be true, is not an irony. The Times stylebook, which, believe me, can be harsh, offers useful advice:

The loose “use of irony and ironically, to mean an incongruous turn of events, is trite. Not every coincidence, curiosity, oddity and paradox is an irony, even loosely. And where irony does exist, sophisticated writing counts on the reader to recognize it.”...

Ravi
11-21-2013, 10:29 AM
: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Not ironic: chris trolling

jillian
11-21-2013, 10:30 AM

that's just expected behavior from him.

as will the whine from him and/or his pets that follows these posts.

Green Arrow
11-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Can we not turn another thread into a petty bitchfest? Please and thank you.

Ravi
11-21-2013, 10:33 AM
^Hopefully. This is in "the serious side" after all. Posting in bad faith is usually frowned upon.

I am just cracking up that this guy was found to be part African.

jillian
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Can we not turn another thread into a petty bitchfest? Please and thank you.

feel free to tell that to chief cook and troll, chris, who started with his little irrelevant definitions... no matter how much the gubmint haters like to stick together.

AmazonTania
11-21-2013, 10:36 AM
: a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Well, it is common knowledge to know what irony is, or what it entails.

But you get points for spelling it correctly, at least.

Ravi
11-21-2013, 10:37 AM

Did chris send out the bat signal?

Green Arrow
11-21-2013, 10:37 AM
feel free to tell that to chief cook and troll, chris, who started with his little irrelevant definitions... no matter how much the gubmint haters like to stick together.

Anyone is free to post whatever they want. There was nothing in that post that warranted your response, or Ravi's.

And as I've said before, I've yet to see a response of Chris's that qualifies as trolling, so calling him a troll is off-base.

Chris
11-21-2013, 10:38 AM

There's no opposite expectation. What he did was stupid, the outcome was inevitable.

Your use of "trolling" is ironic.

jillian
11-21-2013, 10:38 AM

awwww...how unexpected that the plagarist would chime in.

Green Arrow
11-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Well, so much for that.

AmazonTania
11-21-2013, 10:40 AM
awwww...how unexpected that the plagarist would chime in.

Not unexpected you haven't learned what plagiarism is.

nic34
11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Well, so much for that.

Keep the faith my friend...:grin:

Captain Obvious
11-21-2013, 10:48 AM
http://cdn.straightfromthea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Gucci-Damn.jpg