PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Media Bias

Mister D
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
In Left Turn, as in the original article, Groseclose measures 20 major news outlets in the period 1995 to 2004. Which came out on top as the most liberal? The answer might surprise you. Although the New York Times, CBS Evening News, and the Washington Post all scored on the left, the highest slant quotient went to the news pages of the Wall Street Journal, which scored 85.1 (this was before Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. purchased the paper). “Dow Jones & Company gave a press release denouncing our study, but we stand by it,” he explains. “And since then we’ve had a number of people come up to us and say that that’s been the best-kept secret out there, that although the opinion pages are pretty conservative, the news pages are actually liberal.” In comparison, the New York Times scored 73.7, CBS Evening News also scored 73.7, and the Washington Post came in at 66.4. Which outlet was the most conservative? The Washington Times, which scored 35.4, measured farthest to the right (the next-lowest score was Fox’s Special Report with Brit Hume, which scored 39.7).

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/272131/measuring-media-bias-nat-brown

Mister D
07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I can't say that I'm surprised to see the WSJ result. They've been a mouthpiece for the open borders lobby for a while now but I didn't realize the paper has had an increasingly liberal slant. I can believe it though. Where's the variety in American politics?

Conley
07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I had no idea the WSJ was that far left, but the results are completely irrelevant for that newspaper since NewsCorp bought them. They have definitely turned it to the right, as they tend to do. They were also trying to compete with the NYT for local New York coverage but I believe they may have abandoned that as it was bleeding money. Then again, NewsCorp has money to spare and it's rare to see them back down from a fight.

Mister D
07-19-2011, 03:20 PM
I had no idea the WSJ was that far left, but the results are completely irrelevant for that newspaper since NewsCorp bought them. They have definitely turned it to the right, as they tend to do. They were also trying to compete with the NYT for local New York coverage but I believe they may have abandoned that as it was bleeding money. Then again, NewsCorp has money to spare and it's rare to see them back down from a fight.

Well, it leaned left as per his study. The WSJ denies this.

Aren't all newspapers on the decline?

Conley
07-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Yes, I didn't mean to discount the results of the study, just that the game has changed. I am not surprised the current leadership of the WSJ wants to get as far away from those results as possible.

Definitely all newspapers are on the decline...I can't remember who it was but from an article I read, a number of the people hired by NewsCorp hated the NYT for various reasons: politics, being laid off / declined employment, etc. It sounded like there was a real power struggle between those that wanted to compete with the Times and those that wanted the paper to be profit driven. I'll see if I can find the article...it was in a lefty outlet as I recall, I read it on the pooper ;D

Conley
07-19-2011, 03:28 PM
This isn't it but another article I read...take it with a grain of salt but it is an interesting read on the WSJ purchase and transition:

http://nymag.com/news/media/64305/

GRUMPY
07-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I can't say that I'm surprised to see the WSJ result. They've been a mouthpiece for the open borders lobby for a while now but I didn't realize the paper has had an increasingly liberal slant. I can believe it though. Where's the variety in American politics?

yeah they had a little tit for tat going on with nro regarding the borders some time back.....as for the rest of it the msm is so left and clearly in the tank for this prez it is beyond question....even fox news, news not news shows, even fox news is respectful and fails to really question the veracity of this prez they way he deserves to be questioned....fox on line is basically a regurgitation of ap.....

MMC
07-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Not surprising with the way the WSJ was leaning. Still they sport Peggy Noonan who says she is a conservative. Working as Reagans Speechwriter, which as most saw he scrapped most of the time anyways. Plus she worked for some lib too. Yet then she would appear on MSNBC and when you listen to her talk it was like listening to Zsa Zsa Gabor throwing out some cornfed lines from Green Acres. Course she was swoonin with Obama's Victory and then talking about how scary it was to live in America.

I can believe the Washington Times leans the most to the Right......

Mister D
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM

yeah they had a little tit for tat going on with nro regarding the borders some time back.....as for the rest of it the msm is so left and clearly in the tank for this prez it is beyond question....even fox news, news not news shows, even fox news is respectful and fails to really question the veracity of this prez they way he deserves to be questioned....fox on line is basically a regurgitation of ap.....

Too many media outlets were ecstatic over Obama. There is no question about that. Some of the fawning was so unprofessional (more so than what I've come to expect anyway) it was an embarrassment for the entire country.

Have you seen the show that replaced Beck? It's supposed to have a panel of commentators. I think I listened to part of it late last night because I left the TV on. The guests are not of high calibre.

Mister D
07-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Yes, I didn't mean to discount the results of the study, just that the game has changed. I am not surprised the current leadership of the WSJ wants to get as far away from those results as possible.

Definitely all newspapers are on the decline...I can't remember who it was but from an article I read, a number of the people hired by NewsCorp hated the NYT for various reasons: politics, being laid off / declined employment, etc. It sounded like there was a real power struggle between those that wanted to compete with the Times and those that wanted the paper to be profit driven. I'll see if I can find the article...it was in a lefty outlet as I recall, I read it on the pooper ;D

That two major papers would battle it out in NYC doesn't surprise me at all. As per that article (which I have no read in full) Fox's profit is staggering.