PDA

View Full Version : Mother faces negligence charges for homeopathic medicine...

Adelaide
11-23-2013, 07:54 AM
An autopsy found the cause of death was a strep infection, which would have been treatable with penicillin... Police allege the mother did not take the boy for treatment, giving him holistic remedies instead.

"The treatment rendered at home was homeopathic in nature. This would include herbal remedies. The mother refused to take the child to a medical professional. No excuse given — just her belief system," said Staff Sgt. Mark Cavilla.

Mother to face criminal charges in son's strep death - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mother-to-face-criminal-charges-in-son-s-strep-death-1.2436945)

So instead of standard western medical treatment which would have cleared up this infection, his mother chose homeopathic medicine which ultimately led to her son's death. Does she deserve to be charged?

Gerrard Winstanley
11-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Yep, child abuse.

strollingbonez
11-23-2013, 08:00 AM
you know i like herbal remedies and all.....but if they dont work quickly.....i head on to the doctors...i may try a poultice on open wound or pour honey on it....but damn if it has red streaks the next day....off to the doctor to get his wonder pills that clear it right up....

btw honey works....on open wounds

Mainecoons
11-23-2013, 08:01 AM
We had a friend try to treat breast cancer with this quackery. It was discovered in an early stage where the success rate of minor surgery followed by radiation is almost completely successful.

She is dead.

Child abuse.

roadmaster
11-23-2013, 08:09 AM
I could put maggots in a childs ear and get infections away like the old days but will take them to the Dr. anyway and get the real meds. If it's not life threatening ok try different things but don't put kids in serious danger. Both can work together.

Peter1469
11-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Western medicine is designed to treat existing medical conditions. Although many people take it too far, homeopathic medicine really just boosts the immune system to help prevent certain medical conditions in the first place.

Adelaide
11-23-2013, 11:50 AM
We had a friend try to treat breast cancer with this quackery. It was discovered in an early stage where the success rate of minor surgery followed by radiation is almost completely successful.

She is dead.

Child abuse.

I have actually seen people augment their medical treatment with holistic/homeopathc medicine with success (living much longer than expected, for example).

In this case, I agree with the charges. This was just plain stupid on the part of the parent. I would even support manslaughter charges except the prosecutor probably didn't want to go too hard on a grieving mother.

jillian
11-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Mother to face criminal charges in son's strep death - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mother-to-face-criminal-charges-in-son-s-strep-death-1.2436945)

So instead of standard western medical treatment which would have cleared up this infection, his mother chose homeopathic medicine which ultimately led to her son's death. Does she deserve to be charged?

In NY that would be called medical neglect. Personally? I think she should be prosecuted. Her behavior was reckless, IMO.

Paperback Writer
11-23-2013, 12:07 PM
He might also have died in a hospital. That happens, as well. Strep throat doesn't generally kill people with or without antibiotics. I had it once for a week without knowing it was strep. I was bloody miserable and eventually dragged myself into the centre a week later. Did I "neglect" myself?

lynn
11-23-2013, 12:36 PM
It is child neglect anyway you slice it. Home remedies do not work if an infection sets in so antibiotics were definitely needed in this case. However, the child's death is enough punishment for the Mother but if it happens again with a second child then manslaughter should be charged.

Dr. Who
11-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I had strep throat as a child more times than I care to think about. Once it gets into your tonsils, it can lay dormant and become a vector for reinfection. Had my tonsils removed and never got strep again. I was always treated with penicillin. Strep infection causes very high fevers, hence if the fever becomes uncontrolled, seizures can occur. I'm sure it is possible to beat a strep infection without penicillin, but it really depends on the immune response of the host. Children can be especially vulnerable because they have a less developed immune system.

Given that the mother's actions would seem to be based on a philosophical bias as opposed to pure ignorance, I agree with the charges laid.

Peter1469
11-23-2013, 01:31 PM
It is child neglect anyway you slice it. Home remedies do not work if an infection sets in so antibiotics were definitely needed in this case. However, the child's death is enough punishment for the Mother but if it happens again with a second child then manslaughter should be charged.

I agree, she would just needlessly take up space in a prison.

Adelaide
11-23-2013, 03:15 PM
I had strep throat as a child more times than I care to think about. Once it gets into your tonsils, it can lay dormant and become a vector for reinfection. Had my tonsils removed and never got strep again. I was always treated with penicillin. Strep infection causes very high fevers, hence if the fever becomes uncontrolled, seizures can occur. I'm sure it is possible to beat a strep infection without penicillin, but it really depends on the immune response of the host. Children can be especially vulnerable because they have a less developed immune system.

Given that the mother's actions would seem to be based on a philosophical bias as opposed to pure ignorance, I agree with the charges laid.

Right - and once a fever reaches a certain point, you take the kid to a doctor/hospital immediately.

I had scarlet fever when I was about 8 years old. My mom just thought I had a cold so I was getting cold medications and medications for fever. But when my fever got too high and she noticed a rash, my mother took me immediately to the ER where I was put into isolation and diagnosed with scarlet fever.

Captain Obvious
11-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Should be prosecuted for murder.