PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this?

Mister D
11-23-2013, 07:22 PM
The hefty duck legs are slow cooked in duck stock and aromatics until tender, and then finely shredded. The meat is creamed together with duck fat, salt, pepper and garlic, making a luscious and dense spread. It’s another fantastic treat brought to you by the old days before refrigeration.

http://www.dartagnan.com/Duck-Rillettes/PTEDR002-1,default,pd.html?dwvar_PTEDR002-1_freshFrozenWeight=7%20oz&cgid=Duck_2#start=5

I've never heard of it. Looks damn tasty though...

Peter1469
11-23-2013, 07:36 PM
I have only made duck breasts.

fyrenza
11-23-2013, 07:42 PM
@Mister D ~ Are you doing a duck for Thanksgiving?

p.s. ADD BACON!!! Bacon makes EVERYTHING Better! lol

Peter1469
11-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Mister D. See above

oceanloverOH
11-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I've never had duck. What about Donald? What about Huey, Dewey and Louie? What about Yakky Doodle? WHAT ABOUT DAFFY? Nope, can't do it.

Peter1469
11-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Duck is good, especially the liver (if cooked right).

nathanbforrest45
11-24-2013, 08:57 AM
I did a goose for Christmas one year. I started out with a 12 lb goose and ended up with less than 3 lbs of meat. A goose seems to be 90% goose fat. You have to steam them for a couple of hours and then roast in a special rack and you still end up with a gallon of goose grease. Because of the steaming it gets all over your kitchen and takes months to remove it all unless you call one of those fire clean up companies! I will say goose grease is a very good substitute for butter but I will never ever ever cook one again.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 10:14 AM
I did a goose for Christmas one year. I started out with a 12 lb goose and ended up with less than 3 lbs of meat. A goose seems to be 90% goose fat. You have to steam them for a couple of hours and then roast in a special rack and you still end up with a gallon of goose grease. Because of the steaming it gets all over your kitchen and takes months to remove it all unless you call one of those fire clean up companies! I will say goose grease is a very good substitute for butter but I will never ever ever cook one again.

I wonder if a younger goose would be better. I have seen small ones at Whole Foods, around 3-4 pounds.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Shredded duck sounds like it wold make for a great sandwich.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 11:06 AM
@Mister D ~ Are you doing a duck for Thanksgiving?

p.s. ADD BACON!!! Bacon makes EVERYTHING Better! lol

Turkey is actually my favorite meat. I never get bored with it. I will try a duck soon though. never made a whole duck before.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Turkey is actually my favorite meat. I never get bored with it. I will try a duck soon though. never made a whole duck before.

I actually don't really like turkey. I don't dislike it, but it would never be near the top of my list for whats for dinner.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 11:25 AM
I actually don't really like turkey. I don't dislike it, but it would never be near the top of my list for whats for dinner.

Just made a breast and a couple drumsticks yesterday. I'll eat off that for days with some fresh vegis. I was delighted when I finally found humanely raised turkey I could get at the market.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Just made a breast and a couple drumsticks yesterday. I'll eat off that for days with some fresh vegis. I was delighted when I finally found humanely raised turkey I could get at the market.

Have you ever tried game hens? Lots of flavor.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Have you ever tried game hens? Lots of flavor.

I have not but I see them locally.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 11:44 AM
I have not but I see them locally.

Give it a shot. I rub them down with grape seed oil, season to taste, and pop them into the oven.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Give it a shot. I rub them down with grape seed oil, season to taste, and pop them into the oven.

Will do. They look pretty small. One or two servings.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Will do. They look pretty small. One or two servings.

One game hen is enough for two meals assuming you have say a salad and another side with it. But I eat small meals.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 12:01 PM
One game hen is enough for two meals assuming you have say a salad and another side with it. But I eat small meals.

I always have a side of vegis with meat. I bought organic carrots and broccoli.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Peter1469 I eat small meals too. Do you find that you are always a little hungry? I find myself eating 7 or 8 times a day.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 12:19 PM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10) I eat small meals too. Do you find that you are always a little hungry? I find myself eating 7 or 8 times a day.

Not really. When I focus on it, I eat 4-5 meals a day, all small.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Not really. When I focus on it, I eat 4-5 meals a day, all small.

May be the running, I guess. I include snacking in that total, btw.

shaarona
11-24-2013, 12:24 PM

We used to hunt duck and I have cooked dozens of them.. using many different recipes. Never fit to eat.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 12:31 PM
May be the running, I guess. I include snacking in that total, btw.

Yes, running will do that. I would try a protein shake about 1/2 hour after the run.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 12:32 PM
We used to hunt duck and I have cooked dozens of them.. using many different recipes. Never fit to eat.

Are you saying that they never turned out well? Too tough or dry?

shaarona
11-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Are you saying that they never turned out well? Too tough or dry?

Gsmey... even the dog wouldn't it it.. and I tried everything.:embarrassed:

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Gsmey... even the dog wouldn't it it.. and I tried everything.:embarrassed:

This might help. (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/563578)

Mister D
11-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Duck has been good every time I've had it.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Wild duck, or farm raised?

Mister D
11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Wild duck, or farm raised?

The latter.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't know what species though.

Dr. Who
11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I tried cooking duck once - disaster. It came out dry, but with lots of fat in the pan. I think I overcooked it. :sad: Since then I've stuck to duck from the Chinese restaurant when I have the yen, which isn't very often.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 05:33 PM
The latter.

That explains the taste.

Peter1469
11-24-2013, 05:33 PM
I tried cooking duck once - disaster. It came out dry, but with lots of fat in the pan. I think I overcooked it. :sad: Since then I've stuck to duck from the Chinese restaurant when I have the yen, which isn't very often.

It does sound like you overcooked it.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 05:38 PM

I like meat dry with lots of gravy or sauce. When I cook my duck I'm saving the fat. I'll use a little for a pan gravy and the rest for cooking fat. nice change from olive oil.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
That explains the taste.

I like venison but that's the only true "game" I've had. Well, I had the boar too. That's OK.

Dr. Who
11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I like meat dry with lots of gravy or sauce. When I cook my duck I'm saving the fat. I'll use a little for a pan gravy and the rest for cooking fat. nice change from olive oil.

Dry duck is pretty stringy. I don't think a ton of gravy would help the texture. I tried to cook it like I would a chicken, but I think that duck is supposed to be less cooked than chicken. Unfortunately I can't abide fowl that doesn't easily come apart at the joints after cooking. Likely a prejudice developed from the dangers of undercooked chicken, plus an aversion to that slightly rubbery texture that undercooked chicken has, not to mention the remaining somewhat elastic ligaments and veins. Yuk.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Dry duck is pretty stringy. I don't think a ton of gravy would help the texture. I tried to cook it like I would a chicken, but I think that duck is supposed to be less cooked than chicken. Unfortunately I can't abide fowl that doesn't easily come apart at the joints after cooking. Likely a prejudice developed from the dangers of undercooked chicken, plus an aversion to that slightly rubbery texture that undercooked chicken has, not to mention the remaining somewhat elastic ligaments and veins. Yuk.

I find that duck seems to stay pretty moist even when "overcooked". There is so much fat under the skin it just keeps running over the meat. I've had a lot of rotisserie duck and the meat is thoroughly cooked while oddly greasy at the same time.

I hear you on that connective tissue. I made some turkey drumsticks yesterday and the only reason I cooked them was to get some fat for a pan gravy. I wasn't going to eat them ut I said let me try one. Like I said, I "overcook" poultry and that seemed to take care of the problem. The meat was easy to get to and that gnarly connective tissue was easy to avoid. Drumsticks are very inexpensive and I used to use them only for soup. now I'll make them as a main course.

Dr. Who
11-24-2013, 06:57 PM
I find that duck seems to stay pretty moist even when "overcooked". There is so much fat under the skin it just keeps running over the meat. I've had a lot of rotisserie duck and the meat is thoroughly cooked while oddly greasy at the same time.

I hear you on that connective tissue. I made some turkey drumsticks yesterday and the only reason I cooked them was to get some fat for a pan gravy. I wasn't going to eat them ut I said let me try one. Like I said, I "overcook" poultry and that seemed to take care of the problem. The meat was easy to get to and that gnarly connective tissue was easy to avoid. Drumsticks are very inexpensive and I used to use them only for soup. now I'll make them as a main course.
I've never had rotisserie duck, but I can see why it would be somewhat greasy. Even rotisserie chicken carries more fat in the meat after cooking - it's really good mind you. I'm not a huge fan of turkey, though not averse to a hot turkey sandwich for some reason, but I couldn't eat it frequently. It's something about the turkey flavor itself - I guess I just prefer chicken.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I've never had rotisserie duck, but I can see why it would be somewhat greasy. Even rotisserie chicken carries more fat in the meat after cooking - it's really good mind you. I'm not a huge fan of turkey, though not averse to a hot turkey sandwich for some reason, but I couldn't eat it frequently. It's something about the turkey flavor itself - I guess I just prefer chicken.

I've always loved turkey. White and dark meat. Sandwich, entree whatever...Yum. I was so happy when I found humanely raised birds I could get at the local market.

I guess on the rotisserie it's soaking in it's own fat and if there are multiple birds they drip fat on each other.

Dr. Who
11-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I've always loved turkey. White and dark meat. Sandwich, entree whatever...Yum. I was so happy when I found humanely raised birds I could get at the local market.

I guess on the rotisserie it's soaking in it's own fat and if there are multiple birds they drip fat on each other.
It might be because I didn't grow up eating turkey. We always had goose for Christmas dinner when I was growing up. At some point after I left home, my mother lost her source of fresh goose, which she would special order. They came from some local farm that specialized in geese. After that source dried up, she started making turkey. I tried cooking a grocery store goose, but it just wasn't the same. For one thing it was frozen and there was a much higher fat to meat ratio. It just didn't taste right, so I never bothered again. I will of course buy an obligatory turkey for Christmas dinner (or I'd never hear the end of it).

Mister D
11-24-2013, 07:24 PM
It might be because I didn't grow up eating turkey. We always had goose for Christmas dinner when I was growing up. At some point after I left home, my mother lost her source of fresh goose, which she would special order. They came from some local farm that specialized in geese. After that source dried up, she started making turkey. I tried cooking a grocery store goose, but it just wasn't the same. For one thing it was frozen and there was a much higher fat to meat ratio. It just didn't taste right, so I never bothered again. I will of course buy an obligatory turkey for Christmas dinner (or I'd never hear the end of it).

:grin:

Goose is classic though. I will have to try one. What you and another member said, however, makes me want to get it from a farm or from a place like Dartagnan. So goose is all dark meat I see?

Dr. Who
11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
:grin:

Goose is classic though. I will have to try one. What you and another member said, however, makes me want to get it from a farm or from a place like Dartagnan. So goose is all dark meat I see?The thighs are darker than turkey thighs and the breast is not as white, but when the goose is from a good source, it is wonderful. Moist and very tasty. You will still get a goodly amount of goose grease which should be removed gradually during the cooking process. My mother saved it and put it on stale bread to feed the squirrels and birds.

Mister D
11-24-2013, 07:34 PM
The thighs are darker than turkey thighs and the breast is not as white, but when the goose is from a good source, it is wonderful. Moist and very tasty. You will still get a goodly amount of goose grease which should be removed gradually during the cooking process. My mother saved it and put it on stale bread to feed the squirrels and birds.

I really need to hit up a local farm.

The duck fat I have is great for roasting vegis or mixing with mashed potatoes instead of butter. no way I'm throwing grease out anymore.

Dr. Who
11-24-2013, 07:44 PM
I really need to hit up a local farm.

The duck fat I have is great for roasting vegis or mixing with mashed potatoes instead of butter. no way I'm throwing grease out anymore.Goose fat has similar properties to duck fat, but being a larger bird, you'll have a good supply for a while.