PDA

View Full Version : Banks Settle Charges of Fraudent Foreclosures With Feds for 26 Billion

Conley
02-09-2012, 10:16 AM
After months of painstaking talks, government authorities and five of the nation’s biggest banks have agreed to a $26 billion settlement that could provide relief to nearly two million current and former American homeowners harmed by the bursting of the housing bubble, state and federal officials said.

It is part of a broad national settlement aimed at halting the housing market’s downward slide and holding the banks accountable for foreclosure abuses.

Under the plan, federal officials said Thursday, about $5 billion will go in cash payments to states and federal authorities, $17 billion will be earmarked for homeowner relief, roughly $3 billion will go for refinancing and a final $1 billion will go to the Federal Housing Administration. If nine other major servicers join the pact, a possibility that is now under discussion with the government, the total package could rise to $30 billion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/business/states-negotiate-26-billion-agreement-for-homeowners.html

This is much ado about nothing. The government expanded the investigation beyond the roboevictions to try to get housing out a slump and failed. 17B for homeowner relief while there is 700B of debt in homes that are 'underwater'. None of the mortgages covered by Fannie and Freddie are included either (50% of all mortgages).

MMC
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I heard this on the way in this morning. Plus they were talking Contruction for jobs and how the average buisness owner basically took jobs last year at cost just to keep their buisnesses afloat. Despite sales going up in housing.

Bernanke says the FED will buy up those bad debts from Fannie and Freddie. But with what?

Conley
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I heard this on the way in this morning. Plus they were talking Contruction for jobs and how the average buisness owner basically took jobs last year at cost just to keep their buisnesses afloat. Despite sales going up in housing.

Bernanke says the FED will buy up those bad debts from Fannie and Freddie. But with what?

Whatever money they can pick off the carcass of the middle class, I'd guess.

MMC
02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Whatever money they can pick off the carcass of the middle class, I'd guess.

Ah.....I am just a simple poor man. Hopefully they will over-look me. :tongue:

Conley
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Ah.....I am just a simple poor man. Hopefully they will over-look me. :tongue:

Made poorer by the taxes you've had to pay no doubt! :angry::grin:

MMC
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Made poorer by the taxes you've had to pay no doubt! :angry::grin:

Uh huh, and for insurance just in case shit happens! Even tho it might not! :wink: :grin:

Peter1469
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM
This settlement is a joke. The only good think about it is that it does not bar future criminal prosecution.

roadmaster
02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
and the people or once homeowners will get zip

Peter1469
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
If your home was wrongly foreclosed, you will get $2000. If you are underwater you may get up to $20,000.

Conley
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
This settlement is a joke. The only good think about it is that it does not bar future criminal prosecution.

That is good news. At one point in the negotiations that was up in the air. Perhaps now that it's settled it clears the way for criminal prosecution, but I'm not going to hold my breath.