PDA

View Full Version : Would A Mormon President Subvert American Democracy?

Mister D
02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Snip

What follows below is not a Romney-fan’s propaganda. Actually, my favorite used to be another aspirant. The LDS affiliation of Mitt Romney exposes us again to the temptation to make religion into a criterion for picking a candidate. Now then, the theological validity of Mormonism’s version of Christianity is beyond my competence and my interest. To many, the implications of a President embracing that creed are of concern. However, American public life and her high-level politics have created indicators that Mormons will not kidnap America and replace its system with their theocracy. The record of Utah State, when it was ardently LDS, is also an argument. In practice, LDS keep the worldly realm separated from the private pursuit of heaven. Yes, Mormonism involves a way of life. Furthermore, the Church is interested in conversions. Nevertheless, the instinct to “rescue souls” stops short of imposing the “right way” upon non-believers. Unlike the Sharia, it refrains from making outsiders to adhere to enforced norms that limit every aspect of life. Since Mormons know a personal realm, the faith can place politics outside of religion’s sphere. Accepting or rejecting Mormon theology does not have political consequences. The faith does not command unquestioned obedience in the public realm. At any rate, it does not do so to a larger extent than does the now discarded scarecrow of “Popism”.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/4900

Captain Obvious
02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I think mormons are inherently a little kooky, but most religions have their kook factor to some degree, it all depends on how far along that kook spectrum you are.

I think Romney's religious kook factor is somewhat safe, having said that. Him being a mormon has virtually no impact on my impression of the guy as POTUS.

Mister D
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I think mormons are inherently a little kooky, but most religions have their kook factor to some degree, it all depends on how far along that kook spectrum you are.

I think Romney's religious kook factor is somewhat safe, having said that. Him being a mormon has virtually no impact on my impression of the guy as POTUS.

Nor should it. IMO, Romney's Mormonism is a non-issue.

Conley
02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
TBH it freaks me out a little bit. I try not to think about it, but it is there if I'm being honest. It's mostly fear of the unknown I guess, and how closed off the Mormon community is in my experience.

Mister D
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Very honest. I appreciate the comment.

Peter1469
02-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Mitt's Mormonism will be an issue; but too me his liberalism is already a deal-killer.

Mister D
02-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Mitt's Mormonism will be an issue; but too me his liberalism is already a deal-killer.

Is it an issue to you? I'm sure it will be an issue to some people. I'd be somewhat dismayed by a non-Christian candidate but I couldn't care less if Romney is a Mormon. I don't perceive any particular zeal on his part anyway.

roadmaster
02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I look at the way he votes on issues but he does seem to flip-flop. Look at Obama, he attended the most liberal Church I have seen in a while. It showed the way he voted on issues. Then you have the ones who say Christian and when they get in office vote more liberal. I don't know, I will take him over Obama.

wingrider
02-09-2012, 08:12 PM
No his mormonism isn't really a factor , there are 2 other branches of Government that will keep him in check.

Mister D
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
I doubt he has any Mormon designs. :grin: