PDA

View Full Version : Recall Elections?

Chris
11-30-2013, 09:47 AM
A Third CO State Senator Out Over Gun Restrictions (http://spectator.org/blog/56898/third-co-state-senator-out-over-gun-restrictions): "Hudak was facing a recall election due to her deplorable behavior..."--well, no matter the specific issue, do you favor recall elections?

I've always favored adding NOTA (None of the Above), of some binding form, to the ballot. So I think recall elections would give people another way to reject what they're sold during elections.

As a general definition, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election: "A recall election (also called a recall referendum or representative recall) is a procedure by which voters can remove an elected official from office through a direct vote before his or her term has ended. Recalls, which are initiated when sufficient voters sign a petition, have a history dating back to the ancient Athenian democracy[1] and are a feature of several contemporary constitutions." The Canadian Province of British Columbia has it. Switzerland does at the Canon level. "Recall first appeared in Colonial America in the laws of the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1631."

patrickt
11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Yes, I support recall elections. Some candidates lie outrageously and for some the press will cover for them. When they get in office and people notice they should have to choice of recall. Actually, there should be the choice of criminal prosecution.

countryboy
11-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Yes, I support recall elections. Some candidates lie outrageously and for some the press will cover for them. When they get in office and people notice they should have to choice of recall. Actually, there should be the choice of criminal prosecution.
Exactly! The complacency of the people of this nation is truly astounding. Most people have the attitude of "oh well, all politicians lie". Huh? It shouldn't have to be this way.

snali
11-30-2013, 12:24 PM
What would be the requirements for a recall election to be held if a recall election is going to held due to a petition where you need a certain amount of signatures isn't it possible for a opposition party that lost a election to get recall election just because that opposition party did not win

Chris
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
What would be the requirements for a recall election to be held if a recall election is going to held due to a petition where you need a certain amount of signatures isn't it possible for a opposition party that lost a election to get recall election just because that opposition party did not win

What requirements would satisfy you?

Chris
11-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Here's some data:

Signature requirements are based on a formula, generally a percentage of the vote in the last election for the office in question, although some states base the formula on the number of eligible voters or other variants. Whatever the formula, the signature requirements are high: 25 percent in nine states; 25 percent for statewide offices and 35 percent for legislators in Washington; one-third in Louisiana; and 40 percent in Kansas. California's requirements are 12 percent for statewide offices; 20 percent for legislators and appellate judges. Georgia requires 15 percent for statewide offices and 30 percent for all others. Idaho requires 20 percent for all offices. Montana has the lowest number of required signatures: 10 percent for statewide officials and 15 percent for state district offices such as legislative districts.

@ RECALL OF STATE OFFICIALS (http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/recall-of-state-officials.aspx)

The purpose of recall elections is not partisan but constituent:

Like most populist innovations, the practice of recalling officeholders is an attempt to minimize the influence of political parties on representatives. Widely adopted in the United States, the recall is designed to ensure that an elected official will act in the interests of his constituency rather than in the interests of his political party or according to his own conscience.

@ recall election (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/493351/recall-election)

snali
11-30-2013, 01:31 PM
So for most formulas in recalls procedures you need a percentage of votes for the office as signatures to get a recall election, then shouldn't the amount of signatures required be instead of a plurality in the examples provided a majority like 70% so that the opposition party that lost could not abuse it also while i am sure that the recall election idea is intended with interests of the constituents in mind i am skeptical that the political parties in this country would not find a way to use to their advantage

Chris
11-30-2013, 01:38 PM
So for most formulas in recalls procedures you need a percentage of votes for the office as signatures to get a recall election, then shouldn't the amount of signatures required be instead of a plurality in the examples provided a majority like 70% so that the opposition party that lost could not abuse it also while i am sure that the recall election idea is intended with interests of the constituents in mind i am skeptical that the political parties in this country would not find a way to use to their advantage

The signatures do not recall but call for a recall election in which a majority must vote the bum out.

snali
11-30-2013, 02:38 PM
The signatures do not recall but call for a recall election in which a majority must vote the bum out.
Forcing the person who won to campaign again instead of governing

Chris
11-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Forcing the person who won to campaign again instead of governing

Wouldn't happen if the people didn't think he was failing to begin with.

snali
11-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't happen if the people didn't think he was failing to begin with.
True but the examples that you cited shows that for a recall election to be held you would need a plurality of votes like 35% of the votes to call a recall election so it seems to me that a recall election in this political atmosphere would be hijacked by partisan fighting

Chris
11-30-2013, 03:37 PM
True but the examples that you cited shows that for a recall election to be held you would need a plurality of votes like 35% of the votes to call a recall election so it seems to me that a recall election in this political atmosphere would be hijacked by partisan fighting

The purpose of recall elections is anti-partisan. You're criticising something it's not.

snali
11-30-2013, 04:10 PM
The purpose of recall elections is anti-partisan. You're criticising something it's not.
Then explain how it is not partisan

Chris
11-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Then explain how it is not partisan

It puts the power of recall in the hands on constituents as described. The Dems recalled in CO weren't recalled by Reps but by Coloradans who wanted their second amendment rights left alone.