PDA

View Full Version : The Life of Giovanni Martino (John Martin): Custer’s Bugler

Mister D
07-19-2011, 08:26 PM
http://tapsbugler.com/john-martin/

The last man to see Custer's men alive was an Italian immigrant serving in the US Cavalry. He died many years later in Brooklyn! ;D

Captain Obvious
07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Bugler, huh?

I guess they would be the equivalent of kickers in football.

Conley
07-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Bugler, huh?

I guess they would be the equivalent of kickers in football.

Is it any wonder the bugler of all people survived??

Mister D
07-19-2011, 09:20 PM
A lot of hate for the buglers...what's up with that? ::) ;D

Martin was ordered to carry a message to Benteen shortly before those companies of the 7th under Custer met their destiny. For me, historical details like this make the story come alive. I gues I'm just a history geek... :-\

MMC
07-20-2011, 04:31 AM
So did Custer get what he deserved? Or was he sent on a suicde mission? Did he know it? Was Custer on bad terms with the Indians.

Custer was not part of the Elite, nor the Washington Crowd. But had to be given his props for what he did in the Civil War.

Wonder if he kept that Bugle from 7th CAV? :)

Mister D
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
So did Custer get what he deserved? Or was he sent on a suicde mission? Did he know it? Was Custer on bad terms with the Indians.

Custer was not part of the Elite, nor the Washington Crowd. But had to be given his props for what he did in the Civil War.

Wonder if he kept that Bugle from 7th CAV? :)

Seems like Custer's own hubris did him in. Yes, he was a brave soldier all around.

The 7th wasn't totally destroyed. I think only the 4 companies with Custer were wiped out but then that's open to question. There were stories of a survivor or two.

Conley
07-20-2011, 09:48 AM
A lot of hate for the buglers...what's up with that? ::) ;D

Martin was ordered to carry a message to Benteen shortly before those companies of the 7th under Custer met their destiny. For me, historical details like this make the story come alive. I gues I'm just a history geek... :-\

:D

ok, he gets a pass

that's what i get for not RTFA

Mister D
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
All of Custer's men were mutilated save for one who committed suicide. The Indians were superstitious about suicides. Almost everyone had their eyes gouged out and most men were disemboweled. Custer purportedly had an arrow shoved up his penis. This was not made known until after the death of his wife.

These different cultural approaches to war have fascinated me since my teens.

Conley
07-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Holy fuck.

It's going to take me some time to process all of that.

Mister D
07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Holy fuck.

It's going to take me some time to process all of that.

It's appalling to us but mutilation of the dead was common in some cultures.

That must have smelled to high heaven. Intestines and other innards strewn all over the ground in the summer heat... :-X

Conley
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
It was more the arrow up the penis, but yeah.

:D :D :D

MMC
07-27-2011, 12:01 AM
:D Can you image being a forensics guy of today back then. Althought that Arrow Trick just might have been Custer given them the finger in the after life. >:D

Conley
07-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Tonight, on a very special episode of CSI:Alamo...nah, I just can't see it.

This would have been a good show on the History channel before they became the 24 hour Do Aliens Exist?/Reality TV channel

http://www.memecenter.com/uploaded/383e34648abb2f63583ddb280f2b4398.jpg

Mister D
07-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Tonight, on a very special episode of CSI:Alamo...nah, I just can't see it.

This would have been a good show on the History channel before they became the 24 hour Do Aliens Exist?/Reality TV channel

http://www.memecenter.com/uploaded/383e34648abb2f63583ddb280f2b4398.jpg

:D A buddy of mine calls it the WW2 Channel but now it's diversified into the paranormal. :D It's OK though because History International and the Military History Channel make up for it. I think they are all run by the same outfit.

Conley
07-27-2011, 10:57 AM

I make fun of them, but truthfully I would so totally watch a reality show starring the ghosts of Nazis.

Hell, I have Celebrity Rehab on my DVR.

I disgust myself :-\

Mister D
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM

I make fun of them, but truthfully I would so totally watch a reality show starring the ghosts of Nazis.

Hell, I have Celebrity Rehab on my DVR.

I disgust myself :-\

That sounds kind of cool, actually. Nazi ghosts....and they haunt libs! :o 8)

MMC
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah wtf is up with Ice Road Truckers in Alaska, who cares if Ax men are losing a War against trees. Then what the hell is going on with the Garbage Pickers, Swamp-Things, and a the Money Launderers/ The Pawn Shop. Whats next.....Alaska build a bridge to nowheres? Ooops I think Sarah already made that part of Alsakan History. >:D

I dont mind the Ancient Alien Theorists or the UFO Hunters. Once Contact is made.....some religions on this planet are going to be rocked to the core.

But I do get tired of Seeing Hitler and the Nazis. It's like wake the fuck up there were other wars and whole lot more wicked shit than Hitler and the Nazis. >:(

I will watch the Civil war stuff and the real history. ;)

Conley
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah wtf is up with Ice Road Truckers in Alaska, who cares if Ax men are losing a War against trees. Then what the hell is going on with the Garbage Pickers, Swamp-Things, and a the Money Launderers/ The Pawn Shop. Whats next.....Alaska build a bridge to nowheres? Ooops I think Sarah already made that part of Alsakan History. >:D

I dont mind the Ancient Alien Theorists or the UFO Hunters. Once Contact is made.....some religions on this planet are going to be rocked to the core.

But I do get tired of Seeing Hitler and the Nazis. It's like wake the fuck up there were other wars and whole lot more wicked shit than Hitler and the Nazis. >:(

:D :D :D

Well said MMC. You nailed it.

Personally I like alien stuff but they just way over the top with it. I like a little bit of rational thinking and science sprinkled in with the madness :)

Mister D
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Which relgions and why?

Mister D
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/d7645.jpg

Sergeant Frederick Wallace, Company G, 7th Cavalry

This was taken in 1867 long before the Battle iof the Little Bighorn.

MMC
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Which relgions and why?

Islam, Christianity, the Hebrews.....just to name a few. Because there are writings from some older civilizations that suggest that life was coming here all along. According to the Sumerians we were created as a slave race.

Conley
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I thought that was the plot of Stargate?

Shit you not -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111282/

Mister D
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Which relgions and why?

Islam, Christianity, the Hebrews.....just to name a few. Because there are writings from some older civilizations that suggest that life was coming here all along. According to the Sumerians we were created as a slave race.

Why would Christianity, for example, be turned inside out? Yes, that was the Sumerian myth. So what?

MMC
07-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Which relgions and why?

Why would Christianity, for example, be turned inside out? Yes, that was the Sumerian myth. So what?

The Sumerians were the first to write, why say it is a myth if it is in their Codex? Also Ask yourself Why Sagan of SETI sent a record made of gold in the effort to contact life in the universe, with Sumerians writings engraved into the record? ;)

Mister D
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Which relgions and why?

The Sumerians were the first to write, why say it is a myth if it is in their Codex? Also Ask yourself Why Sagan of SETI sent a record made of gold in the effort to contact life in the universe, with Sumerians writings engraved into the record? ;)

You'd have to ask Sagan about that. I'm sure he has visitor hours. :D

I call it a myth not to disparage it. I would say the same thing about Adam and Eve. Besides, I'm tryomg to be neutral here. I just don't understand why you think the Abrahamic religions would be turned inside out.

MMC
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Okay.....I will get back with you as this will end up leading to a long convo as there is no easy way to approach such. I got to get some rest first or I will be worse with my typing than just missing putting in pics. :D

When I return I will becoming from the way of Ancient Civilizations and some other writings. Or engravings as to such. That truly there is enough evidence to follow which will lead to conclusions of other life being in the universe. Possibly even humanoid. ;)

Were good D.....ya can play my advocate http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/angels-and-demons/evil-reading-book-0034.gif >:D hehe

Mister D
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Okay.....I will get back with you as this will end up leading to a long convo as there is no easy way to approach such. I got to get some rest first or I will be worse with my typing than just missing putting in pics. :D

When I return I will becoming from the way of Ancient Civilizations and some other writings. Or engravings as to such. That truly there is enough evidence to follow which will lead to conclusions of other life being in the universe. Possibly even humanoid. ;)

Were good D.....ya can play my advocate http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/angels-and-demons/evil-reading-book-0034.gif >:D hehe

I think I understand where you're coming from and I'm not saying that other life doesn't exist. I'm just asking how you think this impacts Christianity in such a way as to turn it inside out.

Take your time. No worries.

Conley
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I've never really understood the perceived conflict between religion and science. I mean, sure, back in the Galileo days but in these modern times I think it's very obvious there's so much we don't know. If anything it is even more evidence of a higher power. I'll hold off until MMC lets us know where he's coming from. Certainly the discovery of other life would only strengthen my own faith.

Mister D
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I've never really understood the perceived conflict between religion and science. I mean, sure, back in the Galileo days but in these modern times I think it's very obvious there's so much we don't know. If anything it is even more evidence of a higher power. I'll hold off until MMC lets us know where he's coming from. Certainly the discovery of other life would only strengthen my own faith.

As far as I know, the RCC has never taken an official positon on other life.

There is a lot more to the Galieleo story, BTW. I will try and find a good link later.

Conley
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Excellent, I would enjoy reading it. Really all I know of the story is from popular culture and elementary school.

Mister D
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Excellent, I would enjoy reading it. Really all I know of the story is from popular culture and elementary school.

In the meantime, Wiki actually has a decent article on it. See especially the section entitled Dialogue. Galileo had a lot of support in the RCC hierarchy which was not anti-science then or at any other time. This was political stuff.

Although authors Langford and Stillman Drake assert that Simplicio was modeled on philosophers Lodovico delle Colombe and Cesare Cremonini, Pope Urban's demand for his own arguments to be included in the book resulted in Galileo putting them in the mouth of Simplicio. It is not clear why Galileo chose to do this rather than create another character to represent Pope Urban's views. In any event, Galileo had mocked the very person he needed as a benefactor. He also alienated his long-time supporters, the Jesuits, with attacks on one of their astronomers. This portrayal of Simplicio made Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems appear as an advocacy book: an attack on Aristotelian geocentrism and defence of the Copernican theory, and because Galileo gave Urban's words to Simplicio to espouse, furious cardinals insisted to Pope Urban that Simplicio was intended to represent him. Though this was not the case, as Galileo was a friend of Urban's who was grateful for Urban's support to date, Urban was persuaded of this notion, and months after the book's publication, banned its sale and had its text submitted for examination by a special commission, which reported against Galileo.[25] Most historians agree Galileo did not act out of malice and felt blindsided by the reaction to his book.[28

Mister D
07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair

weird how we went from John martin, to the mutilated remains of Custer's men (see that pic on page 3, BTW?), to ancient aliens and now to Galileo. :D

Mister D
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Conley, this is a good article.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/history/world/wh0005.html

Conley
07-27-2011, 04:04 PM

weird how we went from John martin, to the mutilated remains of Custer's men (see that pic on page 3, BTW?), to ancient aliens and now to Galileo. :D

:D Yeah I saw that pic but figured it would be better if I ignored it! I just about lost my lunch...

Conley
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Cool, thanks. I will read up on it this evening.

Mister D
07-27-2011, 05:37 PM

:D Yeah I saw that pic but figured it would be better if I ignored it! I just about lost my lunch...

I got Custer on the brain lately... ???

Mister D
07-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Cool, thanks. I will read up on it this evening.

I remembered the full story from books I've read. This approximates it well.

hellraiser
07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
wouldnt trust a link like that. same site probably says there are no child rapers either.

Mister D
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
wouldnt trust a link like that. same site probably says there are no child rapers either.

I don't know of any site that suggests that. Do you?

Conley
07-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Like you said, let's try to stay on topic.

Conley
07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Well speaking of reality TV with ghost stars:

"As an example of the endless parade of Italian-American stereotypes he is offered the opportunity to play, comedian and actor Anthony Devito recently posted a casting notice for Ghostfellas, a potential reality show that actually exists. If as far back as you can remember, you’ve always wanted to be a comically accented ghostbuster, read on:"

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ghostfellas-promises-to-combine-americas-twin-love,59664/

Mister D
07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this... :-\