PDA

View Full Version : Romney Barely Beats Paul in Maine Caucuses

Conley
02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Portland, Maine (CNN) -- Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney ended what had been the worst week of his campaign with a quick one-two Saturday -- winning the Maine caucuses hours after placing first in a closely watched straw poll of conservative leaders and activists.

In Maine, Romney squeaked out a tight win over Texas Rep. Ron Paul in that state's Republican presidential caucuses, taking 39% of the vote to Paul's 36%. He had gone 0-for-3 in Tuesday's contests in Minnesota, Colorado and Missouri, which all went to former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

Santorum himself came in second in Saturday's poll of attendees at the much watched Conservative Political Action Conference, with 31% of the vote compared to 38% for the former Massachusetts governor.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/11/politics/pol-maine-wrap/index.html

MMC
02-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah.....Paul was hoping to win this one. I am starting to have doubts he will make the platform. Both Gig-n-Rich and Santorium take away from him. Someone needs to pay a visit to Gig-n-Rich and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Like Get out of politics and crawl back under that rock he came out of. Put his Sacred Honor back to

Mister D
02-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Could Santorum be characterized as a neocon? I don't know enough about him. All I'm looking for is a break in the hold neo-conservatism has in the GOP. I'll be voting in the NJ primary regardless of his chances at winning the nomination.

Conley
02-12-2012, 09:58 AM
The thing is there was only 2% turnout (of registered GOP) for this caucus. People really don't care, so it's difficult to draw any conclusions about the relative popularity of candidates. Doesn't matter though, this is the system. It does seem that Santorum is doing much better than Paul...I don't like it but that's how it is. Also, much of Paul's support also comes from independents and many of these primaries/caucuses are closed (Maine included).

Mister D
02-12-2012, 10:18 AM
2%? Sheesh. I know primary turnout is usually abysmal but 2% seems unusual even considering that.

Conley
02-12-2012, 10:37 AM
If memory serves turnout for caucuses is far lower than primaries, but I agree 2% is really bad.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
If memory serves turnout for caucuses is far lower than primaries, but I agree 2% is really bad.

It's so bad I'm almost inclined to say it's illegitimate.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Could Santorum be characterized as a neocon? I don't know enough about him. All I'm looking for is a break in the hold neo-conservatism has in the GOP. I'll be voting in the NJ primary regardless of his chances at winning the nomination.

Sanitarium is partly neocon I would say. He does scare the heck out of me. I think if he were the nominee I would vote for a Democrat for the first time in my life and I never vote against a candidate simply because I think Sanitarium could do so much damage in 4 years that it would destroy us. Yes the monetary system is going to collapse at some point. However, I would rather not be fighting Sanitarium's crusade when it happens.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
The GOP is currently dominated by neocon philosophy so it wouldn't surprise me if Santorum parrots some of their wisdom from time to time.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
The thing is there was only 2% turnout (of registered GOP) for this caucus. People really don't care, so it's difficult to draw any conclusions about the relative popularity of candidates. Doesn't matter though, this is the system. It does seem that Santorum is doing much better than Paul...I don't like it but that's how it is. Also, much of Paul's support also comes from independents and many of these primaries/caucuses are closed (Maine included).

Sanitarium is not doing "much better" than Paul. What is the delegate count again? The problem is that the media (on both sides) is doing its damnest to hurt and/or hide Paul's candidacy.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Sanitarium is not doing "much better" than Paul. What is the delegate count again? The problem is that the media (on both sides) is doing its damnest to hurt and/or hide Paul's candidacy.

The race certainly tightened up a bit after Santorum's three state sweep. There is a long way to go yet though.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:13 PM
The GOP is currently dominated by neocon philosophy so it wouldn't surprise me if Santorum parrots some of their wisdom from time to time.

The neocons are dying off - thank goodness! However much of the base of the GOP (not that the base of the Dems is much better) is just so darned stupid it is hard to educate them enough to ignore the God/guns/gays that the neocons use so much.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
The race certainly tightened up a bit after Santorum's three state sweep. There is a long way to go yet though.

Not a lot of delagates were at stake in that 3 state sweep though.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Not a lot of delagates were at stake in that 3 state sweep though.

I thought the same thing but all of a sudden it was 112 to 72 (Romney and Santorum respectively). Unless it was closer than I had thought the whole time?

Conley
02-12-2012, 12:16 PM

What? 4 states for Santorum, 0 for Paul. Santorum has almost 4x as many delegates as well.

http://projects.wsj.com/campaign2012/delegates/

Believe me, I wish it weren't so, but this is more than the media being unfair to Paul. Do you think Santorum is the media's darling?

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Santorum does inspire hatred in some quarters. That's for sure.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Romney's up to 123 now.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
What? 4 states for Santorum, 0 for Paul. Santorum has almost 4x as many delegates as well.

http://projects.wsj.com/campaign2012/delegates/

Believe me, I wish it weren't so, but this is more than the media being unfair to Paul. Do you think Santorum is the media's darling?

I stand corrected - the delegate count I was looking at was different. Hmmm.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Santorum does inspire hatred in some quarters. That's for sure.

I don't hate him - I fear him. The guy is crazy.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't hate him - I fear him. The guy is crazy.

I think Paul is a little crazy too (although his immigration stance is far more sensible than I thought-hat tip to Conley) but I'm voting for him in my primary. I'd like to see some fresh ideas make some inroads into the GOP.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I think Paul is a little crazy too (although his immigration stance is far more sensible than I thought-hat tip to Conley) but I'm voting for him in my primary. I'd like to see some fresh ideas make some inroads into the GOP.

I think Paul is a little extreme - not crazy. However, much of what I consider disconcerting about Paul can be mitigated by the states (federalism) or by private industry.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I think Paul is a little extreme - not crazy. However, much of what I consider disconcerting about Paul can be mitigated by the states (federalism) or by private industry.

That's a very good point. A POTUS can't really effect a sea change in American politics. Paul will have to wrestle with a legislature that will no doubt be hostile at least at first. What he can do is lay the seeds for a gradual transformation. That's why I would vote for him.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
That's a very good point. A POTUS can't really effect a sea change in American politics. Paul will have to wrestle with a legislature that will no doubt be hostile at least at first. What he can do is lay the seeds for a gradual transformation. That's why I would vote for him.

And he can end interventionalism and the idea that the US has to be the world police force and maintain bases in a bizillion countries.

Mister D
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
And he can end interventionalism and the idea that the US has to be the world police force and maintain bases in a bizillion countries.

Paul goes a bit too far, IMO, on that front but obstructing the neocon (I include Obama in that category, frankly) attempts to satisfy their democracy fetish is something he can do from the beginning.

CoLibertarian
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Paul goes a bit too far, IMO, on that front but obstructing the neocon (I include Obama in that category, frankly) attempts to satisfy their democracy fetish is something he can do from the beginning.

I don't think he goes far enough - but then I am an isolationist at heart, Paul is merely a noninterventionalist

MMC
02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Lets hope he can make it to the platform.....then he can start the beginning of bringing the party back home to Republicans. Then we will see if his son can affect the change. :wink:

CoLibertarian
02-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Lets hope he can make it to the platform.....then he can start the beginning of bringing the party back home to Republicans. Then we will see if his son can affect the change. :wink:

I would dearly love to see the GOP the party of Goldwater (and not Reagan - as much as I think Ronnie is an admirable human) again. Get rid of the Sanitariums! Bring back the party of fiscal responsibility and smaller government. That would be a party I am aligned with!