PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Sales Plunge 13%; Black 'Weekend' Traffic Tumbles 4%

AmazonTania
12-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't get it. We started the rush as early as Thanksgiving Day, interrupting our Thanksgiving dinner and time away from our families. So what's the big deal? According to ShopperTrak, the total Black Friday traffic plunged 11% and the amount of sales during that day fell by 13.2% (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/thanksgiving-takes-more-black-friday-sales). Which brings this the second consecutive year that sales on Black Friday fell following last year of 1.8%.

According to the National Retail Federation, they've expected sales to increase by 3.9% up to $602 billion for the season, but Thursday/Friday sales did increase by 2.3% (http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2013/12/02/Black-Friday-sales-fall-132-but-ThursdayFriday-sales-up-23/UPI-19571386018492/?spt=rln&or=1).

Retail figures were mixed for the holiday weekend with a drop in Black Friday sales attributed to gains on Thanksgiving Day, a U.S. retail research group said. Partially due to stores opening on Thursday, sales on Black Friday fell 13.2 percent, research firm ShopperTrak said. But over the two-day stretch of Thursday and Friday combined, sales were up 2.3 percent from the same two days of 2012, ShopperTrak said.

Some industry analysts said that the fewer shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year prompted retailers to offer shopping deals as early as October, which took away some of the impact of the Black Friday sales event, The New York Times reported Sunday.

The National Retail Federation also said Black Friday sales did not hold up compared to last year, but overall sales for the shopping season were expected to rise 3.9 percent from 2012.

The NRF estimated 141 million people shopped during the four-day holiday, including online shopping, a 1 percent gain from 2012.
Spending, however, fell from $423.55 per person last year to $407.02 this year with total spending projected at $57.4 billion, down nearly 3 percent from 2012, when the weekend rang up receipts of $59.1 billion.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2013/12/02/Black-Friday-sales-fall-132-but-ThursdayFriday-sales-up-23/UPI-19571386018492/#ixzz2mQUnbsrF

Over the entire weekend of Black Friday sales, shopper traffic declined 4% while sales throughout the entire weekend increased a tiny 1%. The plunge was generally led by Electronics, a decline of -6.5%, but National Apparel & Accessories increased by 9.4%.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1000/h1n8.jpg
We can't even get people to neglect their families and spend more money.

The economy is doomed...

Cigar
12-03-2013, 10:48 AM
It's all my Fault ... I didn't buy shit :laugh:

Black Friday is a Corporate fad that's has run it's course.

Most intelligent people know the product was maked up up for months.

It's a great Business Model if you can just get enough idiots to fall for it.

AmazonTania
12-03-2013, 10:53 AM
You may not know, but the purpose of Black Friday is to gauge its holiday sales. It signifies the start of the holiday shopping season.

If people aren't willing to spend on the biggest sales day of the year, chances are Christmas and New Years sales aren't going to be that great either...

jillian
12-03-2013, 10:54 AM
It's all my Fault ... I didn't buy shit :laugh:

Black Friday is a Corporate fad that's has run it's course.

Most intelligent people know the product was maked up up for months.

It's a great Business Model if you can just get enough idiots to fall for it.

the only thing i bought on friday was i took my son to gamestop so he could take advantage of the buy two used games, get the third free deal. he was on line for an hour. and that wasn't even at a mall.

Cigar
12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
You may not know, but the purpose of Black Friday is to gauge its holiday sales. It signifies the start of the holiday shopping season.

If people aren't willing to spend on the biggest sales day of the year, chances are Christmas and New Years sales aren't going to be that great either...

Really ... I did my Christmas Shopping in August :laugh:

I saw what I wanted and I bought it at price I liked. I don't wait until a few weeks before Christmas

AmazonTania
12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Really ... I did my Christmas Shopping in August :laugh:

I saw what I wanted and I bought it at price I liked. I don't wait until a few weeks before Christmas

Really ... You must have wanted something grossly unanticipated.

Most of the good stuff are fourth quarter releases, aka, holiday releases.

Singularity
12-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd be really interested in learning how they tracked online shopping, unless they're just collecting receipts from a few big retailers and using them as a benchmark. Either way this isn't overly surprising. Retailers acted too late to control the chaos.

They still don't have a handle on it. I live in a small town and the local Wal Mart had multiple unhindered altercations.

People are opting to stay home. Combine that with the less shopping days, the anger a lot of people feel over how they're pushing this earlier and earlier into Thanksgiving and yes, residual consumer uncertainty... I won't be broken up if this tradition peters out.

snali
12-03-2013, 11:09 PM
This data could signal that the rest of the holiday season would have weak sales or i wonder if people are saving more in anticipation of Christmas shopping