PDA

View Full Version : The bush years?

zelmo1234
12-04-2013, 04:08 PM
As I have been removed from one of our discussions, I would still like to get a question answered

Which of the following years should President GWB be responsible for the federal Deficit!,1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Sorry for being so foolish but I am told that he inherited a surplus and had the first trillion dollar deficit, and this just does not add up!

Cigar
12-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Ryan is blaming Obama for 'the Largest Deficit in History.' Such a charge should not go unanswered. Paul Ryan needs a refresher course on 'Recent America History.' A course that goes back to the actual source of the Deficit problem.

Bush Tax Cuts (1,812B)
Bush Pre-emptive Wars FUNKING 2 of Them (1,469B)
Bush TARP Bailout (773B)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/OnlyObvious/GovtDocs/NationalDebt_Bush_vs_Obama2_500.jpg

It's based on data from the Congressional Budget Office and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Its significance is not partisan (who's "to blame" for the deficit) but intellectual. It demonstrates the utter incoherence of being very concerned about a structural federal deficit but ruling out of consideration the policy that was largest single contributor to that deficit, namely the Bush-era tax cuts.

An additional significance of the chart: it identifies policy changes, the things over which Congress and Administration have some control, as opposed to largely external shocks -- like the repercussions of the 9/11 attacks or the deep worldwide recession following the 2008 financial crisis. Those external events make a big difference in the deficit, and they are the major reason why deficits have increased faster in absolute terms during Obama's first two years than during the last two under Bush. (In a recession, tax revenues plunge, and government spending goes up -- partly because of automatic programs like unemployment insurance, and partly in a deliberate attempt to keep the recession from getting worse.) If you want, you could even put the spending for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in this category: those were policy choices, but right or wrong they came in response to an external shock.

The point is that governments can respond to but not control external shocks. That's why we call them "shocks." Governments can control their policies. And the policy that did the most to magnify future deficits is the Bush-era tax cuts. [...]

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/11/1119037/-So-How-did-the-Deficit-get-so-Off-the-Books-Big#

You are now free to begin your denials .... have a nice day.

zelmo1234
12-04-2013, 04:25 PM
OK in your post at the top of the graph it says 2002 to 2009, and I am OK with that, but in that case he did not inherit a surplus, but rather a deficit from the Clinton Presidency! However he was responsible for the first trillion dollar deficit!

Thank You!

nic34
12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Republicans are WAY smart this way...

It's what happens when you have a couple wars on the credit card..... because you know the next jamoke to hold the office will get the bill, er, blame.....:laugh:

zelmo1234
12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
And I can Agree with you on your post as well Nic, but the cost of the wars was figured in each years spending it was just not in the budget but done by continuing resolution, and if Obama wanted to cut out any of the Bush policies, he could have as the Democrats controlled both houses and the White House, and had a Super majority.

So is it fair to say that the Democrats and Obama wanted the reckless spending that was done under GWB, and believe me he was a big spender that can't be argued!

Chris
12-04-2013, 04:31 PM
As I have been removed from one of our discussions, I would still like to get a question answered

Which of the following years should President GWB be responsible for the federal Deficit!,1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Sorry for being so foolish but I am told that he inherited a surplus and had the first trillion dollar deficit, and this just does not add up!

Technically, none of is Presidents' but Congress'. But American politics identifies with personalities.

That's said, I think he's associated with 1 year after taking office to 1 year after leaving, something like that.

zelmo1234
12-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Technically, none of is Presidents' but Congress'. But American politics identifies with personalities.

That's said, I think he's associated with 1 year after taking office to 1 year after leaving, something like that.

This is true, but every President gets the credit or blame!

I just want them to have to admit that either GWB had the first Trillion dollar deficit and also inherited a deficit

Or he inherited a surplus and his largest deficit was 480 some billion, or he was President for 9 years?

Chris
12-04-2013, 04:55 PM
This is true, but every President gets the credit or blame!

I just want them to have to admit that either GWB had the first Trillion dollar deficit and also inherited a deficit

Or he inherited a surplus and his largest deficit was 480 some billion, or he was President for 9 years?

IOW, they want to stretch the truth and have it both ways.

GrassrootsConservative
12-04-2013, 05:13 PM

It's what happens when you have a couple wars on the credit card..... because you know the next jamoke to hold the office will get the bill, er, blame.....:laugh:

That's why we need to stop electing big government stooges like Clinton, Bush, and Obama. It's silly to blame the person anyway. Blame the big government ideology, and if you have to find a person, try to have it be a group:

nanny police state Liberals.

Peter1469
12-04-2013, 06:26 PM

10 years of Iraq and Afghanistan cost about as much as Obama's 2nd or 3rd deficit.

Mini Me
12-04-2013, 07:33 PM
That's why we need to stop electing big government stooges like Clinton, Bush, and Obama. It's silly to blame the person anyway. Blame the big government ideology, and if you have to find a person, try to have it be a group:

nanny police state Liberals.

What the hell is that avatar?

It is hideous. Mike, Mike, Mike, its hump day?

GrassrootsConservative
12-05-2013, 12:42 AM
What the hell is that avatar?

It is hideous. Mike, Mike, Mike, its hump day?
Dr. Strangelove it's an alpaca.