PDA

View Full Version : NYC is jacked up.

Cthulhu
12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Saw this else where, figured I would relay it-

NYPD Revokes Media Access To Precinct Offices December 6, 2013 by Ben Bullard (http://personalliberty.com/author/benbullardpl/)

23 17
4 175
The New York Police Department will no longer allow local precincts to release to the media information about crime in communities they serve. Taking the place of that long-standing practice is a new one: talk to the PR guys at headquarters.
News website DNAinfo New York (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131206/civic-center/nypd-orders-precincts-deny-journalists-access-crime-reports) reports that “the city’s 77 police precincts [are] to stop giving out any information to the media about crimes taking place in their neighborhoods, cutting off a long-standing source of information for New Yorkers.”

According to a terse NYPD edict transmitted citywide, precinct commanders were instructed: “Any requests by media to view complaint reports be referred to the office of the Deputy Commissioner For Public Information.”
The NYPD’s public information office, known as DCPI, typically disseminates only select major crimes such as murders, sexual assaults and grand larcenies, but often does not include lower level neighborhood crimes. Those complaints could traditionally be found at the precinct, a reliable source for information of interest for residents.

What else will they cook up next? I'd be jumping ship from NYC if I lived there. This is bad stuff.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Wow, that is insane. The media should be there and citizens should be allowed to conduct an independent count.

jillian
12-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Wow, that is insane. The media should be there and citizens should be allowed to conduct an independent count.

do you think that's going to remain the same when the new police commissioner takes over in january?

besides, people can still make FOIL requests, etc. It's not like people won't be watching. and i guarantee if a situation arises, whomever it happens to will get it into the news.

Cthulhu
12-07-2013, 05:16 PM
do you think that's going to remain the same when the new police commissioner takes over in january?

It should never have occurred on the current watch either. But if they put another cretin similar to this one in place, what exactly will change?

besides, people can still make FOIL requests, etc. It's not like people won't be watching. and i guarantee if a situation arises, whomever it happens to will get it into the news.

FOIA requests are just that - requests. Trusting authority leads to abuses of authority.

jillian
12-07-2013, 05:22 PM
It should never have occurred on the current watch either. But if they put another cretin similar to this one in place, what exactly will change?

you don't think i like it, do you? but bloomberg is out in a few weeks. i'm willing to wait and see.

de blasio is a huge lib and i can't imagine him following that edict.

FOIA requests are just that - requests. Trusting authority leads to abuses of authority.

they're actually pretty good at responding to them.

if they aren't, that's what courts are for.

i never put blind faith in any leader.

Codename Section
12-07-2013, 05:23 PM
You have to trust that FOIA requests are honored.

jillian
12-07-2013, 05:29 PM
You have to trust that FOIA requests are honored.

yes. and if they're not, again, that's what courts are for.

information brought down a president after watergate.

i'm pretty sure that information about arrests will be available.

i'm just not surprised that bloomberg did that. we'll see what de blasio does. i'll withhold judgment for now.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 06:33 PM

I don't know about the new commissioner. Do you mean FOIA requests (or does NY have a different term)

jillian
12-07-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't know about the new commissioner. Do you mean FOIA requests (or does NY have a different term)

Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/contact/foil_request.shtml

FOIA applies to the Federal government. it's what you'd have used as a JAG.

http://www.foia.gov

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/contact/foil_request.shtml

FOIA applies to the Federal government. it's what you'd have used as a JAG.

http://www.foia.gov

Some states also use the term FOIA. I was trying to figure out what the L was....

Codename Section
12-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't see the purpose. It's asking the Fox about whether or not he broke into the henhouse.

jillian
12-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Some states also use the term FOIA. I was trying to figure out what the L was....

law. lol

:)

jillian
12-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't see the purpose. It's asking the Fox about whether or not he broke into the henhouse.

and yet it gets honored.

go figure.

roadmaster
12-07-2013, 07:37 PM
We can expect the NYT to turn the news. So now the police don't want to be held accountable.

jillian
12-07-2013, 07:38 PM
We can expect the NYT to turn the news.

no. we can't.

roadmaster
12-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Or not even talk about things. They are good at selective news.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 08:53 AM

That is my concern.

and yet it gets honored.

go figure.

When it suits them. They are slow to respond to things that don't look good. I know a guy whose brother was wrongfully killed by a cop, and it took 5 years for them to cough up the video footage. But magically when it was coughed up, the audio was only available. In the end the family was awarded 50k or something, but that is hardly the point?

5 years? Come now...

Or not even talk about things. They are good at selective news.

Extremely.