PDA

View Full Version : Flash Mob: The USAF band at the Smithsonian

Max Rockatansky
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Great showing by the USAF band at the National Air and Space Museum in D.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cKE8pyfcZc

jillian
12-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Beautiful

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Waste of tax dollars.

GrassrootsConservative
12-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Waste of tax dollars.

Well, yes, but it's all either stolen or blood money anyway.

A much "better" waste than everything else the current administration is trying to do.

zelmo1234
12-09-2013, 04:33 AM
Waste of tax dollars.

Really? Were they not getting paid anyway?????

So Using these people to bring joy to the people is a waste? Hmmmmm!

Looks like we finally get a peek into a well hidden heart!

Max Rockatansky
12-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Agreed. The band members get paid the same if they practiced at Bolling AFB or 4 miles away at the National Air and Space Museum.

jillian
12-09-2013, 06:03 AM

A much "better" waste than everything else the current administration is trying to do.

it is neither "stolen" nor "blood money".

our troops work. they get paid.

jillian
12-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Agreed. The band members get paid the same if they practiced at Bolling AFB or 4 miles away at the National Air and Space Museum.

shhhhhhhhh…. we need to politicize something wonderful… donchaknow?

GrassrootsConservative
12-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Read the post I was responding to and try to come to the realization that I was talking about the taxes are stolen and blood money, not the money we pay our troops.

Ravi
12-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Read the post I was responding to and try to come to the realization that I was talking about the taxes are stolen and blood money, not the money we pay our troops.
Where do you imagine the money they get paid with comes from?

zelmo1234
12-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Back on topic,

Can you imagine what those that were there received from this?

they have a story and memory for the rest of their life. did you see the faces of the children.

However the ACLU will have issues with the song selections I am sure! But that aside they did a wonderful thing to promote the band and bring people joy!

jillian
12-09-2013, 06:38 AM

i know what you meant. taxes are neither blood money nor stolen.

you might want to save the pointless hyperbole and not politicize this thread.

maybe you should just try to enjoy the music and chill

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 11:48 AM

I'd rather spend the money on paying down our debt or shoring up our failing entitlement programs.

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 11:50 AM
taxes are neither blood money nor stolen.

Anything that is taken through coercion is stolen by definition. Sorry if the reality of your ideology conflicts with your internal sense of justice, but the truth of the matter is that every single tax dollar taken without someone's consent is stolen.

jillian
12-09-2013, 11:50 AM
I'd rather spend the money on paying down our debt or shoring up our failing entitlement programs.

yes, no one should be paid for their work.

you understand that you need to have people working and getting paid in order to have revenue to pay for anything, right?

so-called "entitlements" are not the problem.

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 11:52 AM

I was talking about the band itself.

They should be transferred to a combat MOS or kicked out of the military. All support roles should be immediately privatized.

Nothing hidden about my feelings towards a bloated central government.

jillian
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
interesting how a nice thread got trolled to death.

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
yes, no one should be paid for their work.

you understand that you need to have people working and getting paid in order to have revenue to pay for anything, right?

Huh?

so-called "entitlements" are not the problem.

Okay, so you're in denial.

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 11:55 AM
interesting how a nice thread got trolled to death.

I love how people label anything they don't like as "trolling" now.

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm offering a sincere opinion and I have the logic and evidence to back it up. Just because my opinion upsets you does not mean I am "trolling". Most people who frequent forums these days have no idea what that word even means. They just throw it out whenever someone is saying something they don't like or something that is perhaps unconventional. It's a sad and juvenile tactic, but that's what I've come to expect from contemporary forum communities. Most of the critical thinkers have been chased off by an army of mindless drones...

Max Rockatansky
12-09-2013, 12:01 PM

The solution to the entitlement programs is to eliminate them. People shouldn't be entitled to other people's money. The USAF and other military services aren't charities sucking the lifeblood out of other Americans. They provide an essential function. Yes, even the band.

Ethereal
12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
The solution to the entitlement programs is to eliminate them.

Wouldn't it be better if we simply transitioned away from them in an organized and controlled manner? I'm not a fan of entitlement programs either, but there are too many people that have become dependent on them to simply "eliminate them" as you would an after-school chess club.

People shouldn't be entitled to other people's money. The USAF and other military services aren't charities sucking the lifeblood out of other Americans. They provide an essential function. Yes, even the band.

The USAF and its worthless band are financed by stolen money, same as the rest of the federal government. Not sure how you can conclude that a band provides an "essential function"? What "essential function" do they provide, exactly?

Max Rockatansky
12-09-2013, 12:23 PM
The USAF and its worthless band are financed by stolen money, same as the rest of the federal government. Not sure how you can conclude that a band provides an "essential function"? What "essential function" do they provide, exactly?

You say they are financed by stolen money but then recommend that same "stolen money" be used to feed bums and indigents. Don't you find that both hypocritical and self-defeating? What purpose does giving "stolen money" to people who won't work serve?

The band's mission is on their website.
http://www.usafband.af.mil/aboutus/index.asp

MISSION:The U.S. Air Force Band honors those who have served, inspires American citizens to heightened patriotism and service, and positively impacts the global community on behalf of the U.S. Air Force and the United States of America.

VISION:
World-Class Air Force Communicators
Using the power of music to:
Inspire our audiences worldwide
Create innovative products and programs
Represent Air Force excellence

Through world-class musical presentations and ceremonies, The U.S. Air Force Band helps create bonds between the United States and the worldwide community. Using music to bridge language, cultural, societal and socio-economic differences, the Band's performances advance international relationships and inspire positive and long-lasting impressions of the U.S. Air Force and the United States of America.

The excellence demonstrated by our Airmen musicians is a reflection of the excellence carried out 24 hours a day by Airmen stationed around the globe. These professionals are proud to represent all Airmen, whose selfless service and sacrifices ensure the freedoms we enjoy as American citizens.

AUDIENCE:
- Global reach to billions through television, radio and the Internet
- Congressionally-mandated support of ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery
- Presentations at high-level events (including events for the President, Vice-President, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Secretary of the Air Force and Chief of Staff of the Air Force), national outreach events and global deployments
- Performances designed to enhance morale and esprit de corps of our military servicemembers and their families
- Annual performance tours throughout the U.S.

Rebel Son
12-11-2013, 07:56 PM

To provide American tributes at functions that pay respect to the fallen dead who have paid the ultimate price so pieces of shit like you have the right to belittle them. I can assure you that the USAF band along with all the others representing the UNITED STATES OF AMERCA would have you move to North Korea or any other shit hole if you don't like it here.

Bye, bye

Codename Section
12-11-2013, 10:36 PM
The USAF band...? ((smirks))

They're real important. :roflmao:

((runs before OceanloverOH hits him)

Codename Section
12-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Mom, we're talking about the air force here, not the marines. :D

zelmo1234
12-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Are they not the ones in charge of the ICBM's

I think they are still the only division flying the F-15 as well though I may be wrong there

zelmo1234
12-11-2013, 11:50 PM
The USAF band...? ((smirks))

They're real important. :roflmao:

((runs before OceanloverOH hits him)

Well I guess that I put a higher price on the smile of a child than you and E. to see the look of wonder on the kids faces in that video?

Not so sure that this was not one of them more important things that they did all year.

Codename Section
12-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Well I guess that I put a higher price on the smile of a child than you and E. to see the look of wonder on the kids faces in that video?

Not so sure that this was not one of them more important things that they did all year.

I'm sure it was one of the most important things the Air Force did all year. :D

See I agree with you.

zelmo1234
12-11-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm sure it was one of the most important things the Air Force did all year. :D

See I agree with you.

Are they the ones flying the drones too? by the way the marines have a band too?

Codename Section
12-11-2013, 11:59 PM
To provide American tributes at functions that pay respect to the fallen dead who have paid the ultimate price so pieces of shit like you have the right to belittle them. I can assure you that the USAF band along with all the others representing the UNITED STATES OF AMERCA would have you move to North Korea or any other shit hole if you don't like it here.

Bye, bye

Uh that piece of shit was part of the USMC force that kicked AQ out of Karmah. He may be a piece of shit but that USMC devil dog with the bad attitude is MY piece of shit brother. He served so chickenshits like Dick Cheney who never spent a day in combat in his whole decrepit life can collect.

So don't assume who has or hasn't served of where they should go. He did his time for the USof A in the sand pit. If he wants to talk about the Chair Force then OceanloverOH can come whup his ass like she will me, but I'm not going to let someone talk about that asshole like he didn't pay his dues.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Are they the ones flying the drones too? by the way the marines have a band too?

Our band is awesome. That's the difference. :D

CIA=drones

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Our band is awesome. That's the difference. :D

CIA=drones Yes I know the CIA is running the show but I thought that Air force was running the joy stick?
Flying the spy planes if they still use them and crap like that.

Kind of like the CIA's Bitch! And don't knock the band that made kids smile. you think you stand up for you fellow marines, try getting between a child and something that makes them happy around me!

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Yes I know the CIA is running the show but I thought that Air force was running the joy stick?
Flying the spy planes if they still use them and crap like that.

Kind of like the CIA's Bitch! And don't knock the band that made kids smile. you think you stand up for you fellow marines, try getting between a child and something that makes them happy around me!

They'd have been happier if a dude in a Scooby Doo suit showed up...or the Marine Corps band. Have you seen our uniforms?

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 12:20 AM
They'd have been happier if a dude in a Scooby Doo suit showed up...or the Marine Corps band. Have you seen our uniforms?

I have seen the band preform, and Scooby Doo they can see anywhere, they don't get to see culture. and by the way I set you up to use this thread against your rival and you blew you young buck too much testosterone! :)

MrJimmyDale
12-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Uh that piece of shit was part of the USMC force that kicked AQ out of Karmah. He may be a piece of shit but that USMC devil dog with the bad attitude is MY piece of shit brother.

Just because of that....does not mean that he is not an a$$hole.............he still could be a piece of shit........

and it seems that he is......

Rebel Son
12-12-2013, 01:34 AM

You're not real bright are you? All factions of the military have musical troops. This includes all branches, obviously you have never served or you would have a bit more respect for your brothers.

Libhater
12-12-2013, 06:10 AM
He served so chickenshits like Dick Cheney who never spent a day in combat in his whole decrepit life can collect.

As a veteran, I take offense to that remark. Dick Cheney was perhaps America's greatest VEEP. If you want to talk chickenshits, then I suggest you mention Bubba Klinton as being America's #1 chickenshit with obummer coming in a close second concerning our military. Perhaps I should post a copy of Bubba Klinton's chickenshit letter to the military commander of his pussified reasons for not wanting to be a part of the military during the Vietnam saga, and thus his seeking any kind of deferment from the draft so as to save his sorry ass from serving in our military.

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 07:59 AM
As a veteran, I take offense to that remark. Dick Cheney was perhaps America's greatest VEEP. If you want to talk chickenshits, then I suggest you mention Bubba Klinton as being America's #1 chickenshit with obummer coming in a close second concerning our military.

As a retired veteran, I disagree. Chickenhawks are those who are quick to use the military for their own ends, but would never serve themselves. Clinton and other Democrats are admitted wimps and always known to be weak on defense. That's why Mike Dukakis in a tank was sooooo frickin' funny....and destroyed his credibility. Everyone knows Democrats are pussies.

http://oi34.tinypic.com/2z80tc4.jpg

It's the Republicans who never served who are the main chickenhawks in Washington D.C. and in the last decade, Cheney was the biggest chickenhawk of all.

http://imageshack.com/a/img706/4165/dickcheneychickenhawkqu.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img39/5642/chickenhawkslogoyellow.gif

jillian
12-12-2013, 08:02 AM
As a veteran, I take offense to that remark. Dick Cheney was perhaps America's greatest VEEP. If you want to talk chickenshits, then I suggest you mention Bubba Klinton as being America's #1 chickenshit with obummer coming in a close second concerning our military. Perhaps I should post a copy of Bubba Klinton's chickenshit letter to the military commander of his pussified reasons for not wanting to be a part of the military during the Vietnam saga, and thus his seeking any kind of deferment from the draft so as to save his sorry ass from serving in our military.

dick cheney is a vile and ugly little man who created wars where there shouldn't have been any (and which, by chance, enriched him beyond measure) while himself taking five deferments from military service.

chickenhawk in the truest sense of the word…. send other people to die UNNECESSARILY for whatever your own political/personal ends are when you're too wussy to fight yourself

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Just because of that....does not mean that he is not an a$$hole.............he still could be a piece of shit........

He's totally an asshole, but he's a marine so he's OUR asshole. :D

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 09:22 AM
dick cheney is a vile and ugly little man who created wars where there shouldn't have been any (and which, by chance, enriched him beyond measure) while himself taking five deferments from military service.

chickenhawk in the truest sense of the word…. send other people to die UNNECESSARILY for whatever your own political/personal ends are when you're too wussy to fight yourself

That's right! That's my girl! You tell 'em, mom.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 09:26 AM
You're not real bright are you? All factions of the military have musical troops. This includes all branches, obviously you have never served or you would have a bit more respect for your brothers.

I served from 2003-2013 in the United States Marine Corps, and went out on medical after 5 combat deploys to hot zones. I think people like you should refrain from telling people if they served or not and to avoid assuming. It tends to piss people off who spent time getting shot at, almost blown up, and assaulted in some of the ugliest terrain on the entire planet.

If you knew anything about the military you'd know we have zero respect for the other branches, Air Force most of all, and that no marine grunt or spec ops has anything good to say about the bands because they are indoors, and have cushy POG jobs.

--and to those who aren't or haven't been in the military...everyone in the military jokes about the Air Force unless they know oceanloveroh. It's considered a haven for girls. It's the cushy job that we all envy.

It's also the smart person's job and I would have been smart to go into it.

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:35 AM
You say they are financed by stolen money but then recommend that same "stolen money" be used to feed bums and indigents. Don't you find that both hypocritical and self-defeating? What purpose does giving "stolen money" to people who won't work serve?

I recommend that it be used to prop up entitlement programs that are trending towards insolvency. It's called "prioritizing" spending. I prioritize a safety net over military bands because military bands are a worthless propaganda tool while safety nets at least provide some kind of tangible benefit to people in need.

The band's mission is on their website.
http://www.usafband.af.mil/aboutus/index.asp

I don't see anything in there that could be considered remotely "essential". The military is for fighting, not for tooting a horn. They need to be re-purposed or sent back into the civilian world where they belong.

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Bye, bye

They could try to kick me out, but they'd need more than a tuba and a saxophone to accomplish the objective. And is the only way to "pay respect" to our fallen dead a band playing music? How about we respect them by not sending them off to die in needless wars in the first place?

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:44 AM

I'm a "piece of shit" because I object to wasting finite taxpayer dollars on non-essential functions like a military band? Do you have an actual reasoned argument to support your accusations, or is this yet another emotive, knee-jerk response directed at someone who refuses to mindlessly worship at the alter of the military?

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm a "piece of shit" because I object to wasting finite taxpayer dollars on non-essential functions like a military band? Do you have an actual reasoned argument to support your accusations, or is this yet another emotive, knee-jerk response directed at someone who refuses to mindlessly worship at the alter of the military?

Naw, they like us when we're in our spanky uniforms and following the orders of the gubbermint like mindless drones. They especially like me in my uniform because I'm so handsome.

:D

It's when we're out of uniform and complaining that they want us to STFU and be the advertisement for the military instead of people with experience and thoughts.

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:48 AM

And all those musical troops ought to be decommissioned. I'd like to see you provide a reason why they shouldn't.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 11:50 AM
And all those musical troops ought to be decommissioned. I'd like to see you provide a reason why they shouldn't.

Because it makes people happy. Of course, it makes the same people happy that will quibble over EBT cards that feed kids, but whatevs

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
As a veteran, I take offense to that remark. Dick Cheney was perhaps America's greatest VEEP.

:lame:

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Because it makes people happy. Of course, it makes the same people happy that will quibble over EBT cards that feed kids, but whatevs

We have to prioritize our spending. Anyone who denies that is delusional. In my world, keeping our entitlement programs from imploding is a higher priority than keeping a military band in service. If these programs fail, millions of Americans will be in a state of crisis. Every single dollar we can save is important in delaying or preventing this from happening. Republicans and conservatives spend all this time whining about too much spending, yet here they are, defending the millions of dollars we spend on the uniforms, equipment, transportation, salaries, healthcare, education, and fringe benefits that go to a BAND in the military. Call me crazy, but I don't think we can afford such luxuries.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 11:59 AM
We have to prioritize our spending. Anyone who denies that is delusional. In my world, keeping our entitlement programs from imploding is a higher priority than keeping a military band in service. If these programs fail, millions of Americans will be in a state of crisis. Every single dollar we can save is important in delaying or preventing this from happening. Republicans and conservatives spend all this time whining about too much spending, yet here they are, defending the millions of dollars we spend on the uniforms, equipment, transportation, salaries, healthcare, education, and fringe benefits that go to a BAND in the military. Call me crazy, but I don't think we can afford such luxuries.

My dad (USMC ret) would, well first he would make fun of the Air Force, but then he would get all teary over military bands that played Halls of Montezuma. There is this weird patriotism they pumped into that generation that is wrapped up in the military, just like they tried to do with Dems during Obama's 2008 campaign with that weird national socialism-Obama's gonna save us thing.

It's amazing that you and I can come from one of the most collectivist organizations in the world (they call it "fraternity") and remain independent thinkers.

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Moral and a recruitment tool are two reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhyxAjzdW0

Libhater
12-12-2013, 05:58 PM
While I was getting drafted into the Army to serve combat duty in Vietnam, my older brother was finishing up his cushy 4 years of Air Force duty in Bermuda. He was an aircraft mechanic for our jets, but I know first hand that he doesn't know the difference between a screw driver and a pair of pliers. He spent four years living in Hamilton, Bermuda having his own apartment, a motorcycle, a color TV and plenty of access to the watering holes in the city. He had a part time job or a part time volunteer stint down on weekends at the harbor as a greeter to all of the American college girls from their cruise ships during spring break.

Ethereal
12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Moral and a recruitment tool are two reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhyxAjzdW0

In other words, they're propaganda tools that rely on pomp and ceremony.

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM
In other words, they're propaganda tools that rely on pomp and ceremony.

Propaganda sells for about $4 million per 30 seconds this year on the Superbowl. Good stuff.