PDA

View Full Version : The Progressive plan to end 71% of abortions

Cigar
12-09-2013, 02:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PvEhed1.jpg

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Abstinence is 100% effective. And it also doesn't risk STD spread.

Why are progressives so willing to champion an inferior method with known risks while ignoring an obvious solution?

Parenting.

Codename Section
12-09-2013, 03:49 PM
What a crock. You can get free BC everywhere. My girlfriend got it in HS. It's remembering to take it or bothering to get it.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
What a crock. You can get free BC everywhere. My girlfriend got it in HS. It's remembering to take it or bothering to get it.

It's true. They pass the stuff out like candy. This is an invented issue. Frankly, we should be discouraging the unwed to have sex in my opinion. And those who are wed to do so responsibly.

nic34
12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
.... and then offer free BC..... see, easy!

Chloe
12-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Why are progressives so willing to champion an inferior method with known risks while ignoring an obvious solution?

Parenting.

Abstinence is the the best form of birth control sure, but when abstinence fails for whatever reason it's good to have options and know how to use them i'm sure. Every parent should probably teach their kid to not have random sex and to be aware of the possible consequences, however, sometimes it just happens and two people have sex whether it's due to love, pressure, or just curiosity, and if that happens they should be aware of how to be safe in my opinion. Also having good friends can be just as necessary and important as good parents since they are with you sometimes more than your parents are.

jillian
12-09-2013, 04:02 PM

Parenting.

teaching abstinence only doesn't work. that's what leads to parenting as you put it.

why do rightwingers refuse to accept reality and understand that teaching safe sex is important and that psssssst.... they're going to have sex anyway.

jillian
12-09-2013, 04:03 PM
It's true. They pass the stuff out like candy. This is an invented issue. Frankly, we should be discouraging the unwed to have sex in my opinion. And those who are wed to do so responsibly.

because that will soooo work.

the radical right loves being the bedroom police.

Peter1469
12-09-2013, 04:09 PM

the religious right

jillian
12-09-2013, 04:13 PM
the religious right

true

Codename Section
12-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't trust oral contraceptives because I have two nieces from that approach. My older sister kept thinking it didn't work but it turns out that you can't take it when on antibiotics. DERP.

Cuties tho. :) They love Uncle Drew.

Mainecoons
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
And Jillian and her comrades in the radical left who worship the state want to regulate everything outside of the bedroom.

Two sides of the same old statist coin.

bladimz
12-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't trust oral contraceptives because I have two nieces from that approach. My older sister kept thinking it didn't work but it turns out that you can't take it when on antibiotics. DERP.

Cuties tho. :) They love Uncle Drew. Who doesn't?... LOL!

bladimz
12-09-2013, 04:25 PM
It's true. They pass the stuff out like candy. This is an invented issue. Frankly, we should be discouraging the unwed to have sex in my opinion. And those who are wed to do so responsibly.I don't want to be crude, but the question is relevant, your honor. Is a blowjob considered sex?

Mainecoons
12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
BC (before Clinton) yes, AC (after Clinton) no. :rofl:

bladimz
12-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Please refrain from bringing another poster's name (in a disparaging way) into your posts. This should be kept in mind going forward.

Peter1469
12-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't want to be crude, but the question is relevant, your honor. Is a blowjob considered sex?

It depends what jurisdiction you are in. Some consider sex to be "penetration of the vagina, however slight." In those jurisdictions, oral and anal sex would be called sodomy.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I don't want to be crude, but the question is relevant, your honor. Is a blowjob considered sex?

I know that some states consider it sodomy and therefore 'sex'.

I myself would classify it as a sexual act. Albeit a derogatory one for both parties.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Discourage, not outlaw.

Big difference.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Abstinence is the the best form of birth control sure, but when abstinence fails for whatever reason it's good to have options and know how to use them i'm sure. Every parent should probably teach their kid to not have random sex and to be aware of the possible consequences, however, sometimes it just happens and two people have sex whether it's due to love, pressure, or just curiosity, and if that happens they should be aware of how to be safe in my opinion. Also having good friends can be just as necessary and important as good parents since they are with you sometimes more than your parents are.

The same people without enough self control to not have sex, have many amongst their ranks who just don't think to obtain it prior to sexual activity. It isn't that it isn't available, it is that they are too foolish to actually use it.

teaching abstinence only doesn't work. that's what leads to parenting as you put it.

why do rightwingers refuse to accept reality and understand that teaching safe sex is important and that psssssst.... they're going to have sex anyway.

Did I say somewhere I was opposed to sexual education? Nope, I didn't. I think it is something best left to the parents though given the prevailing morals of the government.

"they're going to do it anyway..."

No. Actually, they might try for sure, some might even succeed. But that is what parenting is for. Why is it that whenever a solution requiring discipline and self restraint is proposed it can never be entertained because "it will never work"?

What is so evil about a little self restraint? Kites need string to fly.

bladimz
12-09-2013, 05:53 PM

No. Actually, they might try for sure, some might even succeed. But that is what parenting is for. Why is it that whenever a solution requiring discipline and self restraint is proposed it can never be entertained because "it will never work"?

What is so evil about a little self restraint? Kites need string to fly.Good parenting during a child's very early years can go a long way to developing a sense of self-restraint, and in many ways the kid may well use that virtue. It's nice to think that they will control their instincts (for instance, in college), but there's no reason to assume it. It's ok to use "good parenting". That's the basis for raising a responsible, self-confident, well-adjusted person. But i certainly wouldn't depend on it.

Max Rockatansky
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM

the religious right

Which, nowadays, often amounts to the same thing.

That aside, "free" anything is BS. It sets the wrong example. Make a gift of something long enough and it eventually becomes a "right" where no one respects the giver.

Want to distribute birth control for cost? I'm behind it 100%.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Good parenting during a child's very early years can go a long way to developing a sense of self-restraint, and in many ways the kid may well use that virtue. It's nice to think that they will control their instincts (for instance, in college), but there's no reason to assume it. It's ok to use "good parenting". That's the basis for raising a responsible, self-confident, well-adjusted person. But i certainly wouldn't depend on it.

All that being said, than why the resistance from progressive policies to helping them achieve self mastery to avoid mistakes? why not do that instead of developing policy that can only somewhat mitigate guaranteed catastrophe?

For arguments sake, we'll say condoms or whatever form of birth control used has a 95% prevention rate. That leaves us with 5% guaranteed catastrophes. Will they raise a child? Abort it? Adoption? Be married to the father? Contract an STD?

Let's pretend that abstinence was taught alongside and equally encouraged, and that with abstinence alone and education we achieved a 35% ratio of success - I'm low balling. That is 35% that don't need to be leeching off of public coffers for their sexual practices, not getting and spreading STDs, and not having to worry about raising a child or aborting it.

And then say they cave - then you add in the 95% guarantee of prevention.

Would this not be better than just sex ed and a box of condoms?

By enabling the activity and reducing the risks for poor stewardship of an activity, we see an increase in it. That is the problem, we have this "oh they will just do it anyway" mentality and "we can't stop them so let's just make it safer" - Bullshit!

Peter1469
12-09-2013, 06:58 PM
See Adelaide's thread (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/19802-Teen-birth-rate-drops-52-in-2-decades) on the drastic drop in teen pregnancy rates.

Codename Section
12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Did I say somewhere I was opposed to sexual education? Nope, I didn't. I think it is something best left to the parents though given the prevailing morals of the government.

What is so evil about a little self restraint? Kites need string to fly.

I know that my sisters abstained in high school because my parents made it clear that they thought it was a sin and that if they found out they'd disappointed. I know that I did not abstain because I didn't think it was a sin and they never bothered me that much about it like they did the girls.

Expectations work IF you either have a good relationship with your parents or they scare the shit out of you.

Most people are borderline.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 08:11 PM
I know that my sisters abstained in high school because my parents made it clear that they thought it was a sin and that if they found out they'd disappointed. I know that I did not abstain because I didn't think it was a sin and they never bothered me that much about it like they did the girls.

Expectations work IF you either have a good relationship with your parents or they scare the shit out of you.

Most people are borderline.

So what the class can take away from this is that parenting is a good deterrent, as is having a good relationship with your offspring.