PDA

View Full Version : Deal Made to Extend Payroll Tax Cuts

Conley
02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Members of a House-Senate committee charged with writing a measure to extend a payroll tax reduction and provide added unemployment benefits reached a tentative agreement Tuesday evening, with Republicans and Democrats claiming a degree of political victory in a fight with significant election-year implications.

One day after House Republican leaders said they would offer a bill to extend the $100 billion payroll tax rollback for millions of working Americans without requiring spending cuts to pay for it, the Congressional negotiators struck a broader deal that would also extend unemployment benefits and prevent a large cut in reimbursements to doctors who accept Medicare.

A vote on the measure would most likely happen by Friday, when Congress is set to recess for a week. But senior aides warned that negotiators still had to sign off formally on the agreement and that obstacles could surface given the long-running tensions over the measure.

Democrats, elated after winning the Republican tax concession after months of clashes, said they had also been able to beat back new conditions that Republicans had wanted on jobless pay, like requiring beneficiaries to seek high school equivalency degrees, and had found middle ground on Republican attempts to significantly reduce the number of weeks in which the unemployed could draw benefits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/us/politics/obama-welcomes-signs-of-progress-on-payroll-tax-cut.html

A tax cut with no cut on spending. Yep, it must be an election year. :angry:

MMC
02-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah they caved.....but I thought there was something they wanted to get on another piece of legislation.

Conley
02-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah they caved.....but I thought there was something they wanted to get on another piece of legislation.

No doubt they probably got something in return. With all the double talk it's hard to keep track. Oh, and Congress is taking another break after Friday. You know, because they've been working so hard.

MMC
02-15-2012, 10:23 AM
No doubt they probably got something in return. With all the double talk it's hard to keep track. Oh, and Congress is taking another break after Friday. You know, because they've been working so hard.

Yeah Presidents Day Observed Right? They always find a way to get another day off. Don't they? Kicker is they know what days are coming with the start of the New Year and Fiscal New Year.

jgreer
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
The republicans should be happy they got a tax break. Now they should give the dems something.

Everyone gets presidents day off its not like everything is congress trying to screw with you

MMC
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
The republicans should be happy they got a tax break. Now they should give the dems something.

Everyone gets presidents day off its not like everything is congress trying to screw with you

I don't get President's Day off. :cry:

Mister D
02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I do! Woohoo!

Conley
02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I forgot all about President's Day. I'm in MMC's boat though. :undecided: Congrats D! :laugh:

Mister D
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
I forgot all about President's Day. I'm in MMC's boat though. :undecided: Congrats D! :laugh:

I don't get many holidays in this industry. :angry:

MMC
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't get off any holidays. At best it's what is considered a half day. Sucks!

Conley
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't get many holidays in this industry. :angry:

Sounds like we all need new jobs. Be sweet if we could get paid to post on forums all day like the Uzbekis (hat tip to D for the heads up). :laugh:

MMC
02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Maybe we should start a Union......ducks the shoes<<<<< :laugh:

Mister D
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Sounds like we all need new jobs. Be sweet if we could get paid to post on forums all day like the Uzbekis (hat tip to D for the heads up). :laugh:

That would be awesome but I'd run out of good things to say about any of the Presidential candidates pretty quickly.

Mister D
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe we should start a Union......ducks the shoes<<<<< :laugh:

Ranters Local 21!

Conley
02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm in! I'll be collecting dues this afternoon. :grin:

MMC
02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Alright I'll take the grievance man's job and we do things the old fashioned way like the Democrats did. We make sure we go out and vote twice but only while your on the clock. :wink:

Pendragon
02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I can't help but wonder how many so called conservatives on this site post from work using their employer's time and money. It is rather hypocritical to then complain about the destitute leeching of the government when in fact they are acting in a similar fashion.

Mister D
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I get paid to do a job. I do it well. In any case, your analogy is silly which is no surprise. If I did nothing for my pay check it would make sense but, as usual, you don't.

MMC
02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I can't help but wonder how many so called conservatives on this site post from work using their employer's time and money. It is rather hypocritical to then complain about the destitute leeching of the government when in fact they are acting in a similar fashion.

Not really hard to fathom when one is their own boss.....now is it? Are you familiar with the term Independant Contractors? Buisness owners? CEO's? VP's and of course the President's Club!

Mister D
02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Ah, just more personal attacks from Pendragon.

MMC
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Well there was more but you get the jist of it. :wink:

JDabe
02-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Wow! Payroll tax cuts have been getting a lot of headline room since lawmakers decision to extend the cuts for another year! Really, how do the payroll tax cut affects the consumer (https://personalmoneynetwork.com/cash-advance/) ? Workers can be ready to continue to bring home just a little more each paycheck through 2012. But some critics see the tax cut as cheating the future of retirement benefits.:rollseyes:

MMC
02-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Wow! Payroll tax cuts have been getting a lot of headline room since lawmakers decision to extend the cuts for another year! Really, how do the payroll tax cut affects the consumer (https://personalmoneynetwork.com/cash-advance/) ? Workers can be ready to continue to bring home just a little more each paycheck through 2012. But some critics see the tax cut as cheating the future of retirement benefits.:rollseyes:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1618279730449&id=d0f663cdfe196c379969f0783ff5b541&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dreamstime.com%2fwelcome-mat-and-open-door-thumb16393313.jpg

Greetings JDabe.....Welcome to the Political Forums of the Rant. :yo2:

How will people be bringing more home JDabe? Or why would you think this?

Mainecoons
02-27-2012, 07:40 AM

That's all the left is left with these days.

MMC
02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1579683876208&id=4d4859e60163adac564047eb791a6f35&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.commentsguru.com%2fimages%2fm onday%2fmonday_already_have_a_good_day.gif

Morning MaineCoons.....thats alright, we got some that bring them back round to whats Right. :wink: