PDA

View Full Version : Extinction Soup - Hopefully this will be the next Blackfish

Chloe
12-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Over 70 million sharks are killed each year. "Extinction Soup" documentary could change that statistic

http://youtu.be/rS1qQcH6qY0

Peter1469
12-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Is it largely Asians that are hunting the sharks?

Chloe
12-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Mostly it's asian countries/eastern cultures that do the majority of shark hunting for fins like this yes, however, it does not mean that there can't be more global awareness forced out there since a lot of sharks are also killed as bycatch around the world by fishermen and fishing industries.

Chloe
12-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Extinction Soup | Indiegogo (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/extinction-soup)

FYI the Extinction Soup documentary is not complete yet since they need funding. If anybody is interested you can go to their website above and donate. I donated some money the other day so hopefully they reach the production goal so that it can be finished and shown.

GrassrootsConservative
12-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Looks tasty. :tongue:

bobgnote
12-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Why, then, you may enjoy a tasty box lunch, as soon as those clever Japanese finish their research, on how to make jellyfish into chowder.

As climate change takes the oceans, acidic cold currents upwell, to kill shellfish and reefs, while warm currents yield jellyfish blooms, and other ocean areas are simply DEAD.

We will eventually see oceans, which feature few plants, other than algae blooms.

You can get those Japanese scientists to serve you up something, made from box jellyfish blooms, which start off the east coast, of Japan, to slop around the north, of Honshu, until they clog the heck out of Tokyo Bay.

Then those darned clever Japanese have to find a way to make sushi, out of wandering conservaderps.

No big shift, there. Headhunting has been outlawed, mostly, but it'll get going, again, no doubt.

waltky
02-03-2017, 09:44 AM
A plethora o' jelly fish...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
Jellyfish wash up 'like wallpaper' on Australian beach
Fri, 03 Feb 2017 - The rare sight of thousands of jellyfish stranded in Australia surprises locals and marine experts.

Charlotte Lawson, 24, took photos of the jellyfish at Queensland's Deception Bay after noticing an unusual colour in the water. "[When] we got closer we realised it was jellyfish," she told the BBC. "It was like bubble wrap across the beach." Although a common sight on Australia's east coast, the mildly venomous marine stinger is rarely seen in such numbers.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/DCE7/production/_93915565_0fa39eb0-5a3a-4f09-b770-b42a67ae4ee5.jpg
Jellyfish cover the beach at Deception Bay in Queensland

Marine biologist Lisa-Ann Gershwin said she gasped when she saw the pictures. "It's like wallpaper," she said. "They are just cheek by jowl. They are packed so tightly. It's a sea of blue." Dr Gershwin said the phenomenon was probably caused by a combination of factors including warmer waters, abundant nutrients and an absence of predators.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/8D37/production/_93915163_05893733-939e-4042-8621-b536b00a5278.jpg
The density of the stranding has surprised experts

Northerly winds and tide conditions may have also contributed, she said. Ms Lawson said she had never seen so many jellyfish. They had started to smell "pretty rank", attracting complaints from locals, she said. Dr Gershwin said she expected the jellyfish to dry out on the sand and be eaten by birds.

Others species washing up

The Sunshine Coast Daily reported that recent strong north-easterly winds had contributed to a spike in jellyfish sightings. According to Surf Life Saving Queensland, more than 22,800 swimmers were treated for stings by another jellyfish species, the bluebottle, on the Sunshine Coast from 1 December to 31 January.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/12B07/production/_93915567_24740885-f50e-4393-bd02-84ba0e8314ab.jpg
The blue blubber, or catostylus mosaicus, is a common sight in south-east Queensland

Dr Dan Capps said he treated three dogs for stings at his Sunshine Coast veterinary clinic at the weekend. "We've had a prevalence of bluebottle jellyfish and other fire-type stingers on the Sunshine Coast," Dr Capps told the BBC. "Some dogs have been eating them and its a very painful experience for them."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38836362

donttread
02-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Probably as they have a nasty habit of eating peole

Chloe
07-30-2017, 03:59 PM
In honor of the last day of Shark Week.

resister
07-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Shark is some good eating, the idiots keep the fins and throw the meat away.

Chloe
07-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Probably as they have a nasty habit of eating peole
A wild and irresponsible misconception. The real villain and the real "nasty habit" is the mass slaughter of millions of sharks around the world by people.

Chloe
07-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Shark is some good eating, the idiots keep the fins and throw the meat away.

Every second atleast two sharks are slaughtered for shark fin soup. Every single second. It's not about how they taste it's about keeping the species from extinction and in turn saving the overall health of our oceans. Without sharks it's dead.

Trumpster
08-05-2017, 02:50 PM
.......... it's about keeping the species from extinction and in turn saving the overall health of our oceans. Without sharks it's dead.

What do sharks contribute to the overall health of our oceans?

If 70 million sharks were not killed each year, how many fish would they have eaten? Tens of billions?

Chloe
08-05-2017, 04:15 PM
What do sharks contribute to the overall health of our oceans?

If 70 million sharks were not killed each year, how many fish would they have eaten? Tens of billions?
Are you asking a serious question? I don't know you very well yet.

resister
08-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Every second atleast two sharks are slaughtered for shark fin soup. Every single second. It's not about how they taste it's about keeping the species from extinction and in turn saving the overall health of our oceans. Without sharks it's dead.I have fossilized teeth of 2 extinct sharks, the ocean is still here. I don't think man could ever kill ALL​ the sharks.

Mister D
08-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Quite a few laws prohibiting shark finning.

http://www.sharksavers.org/en/our-programs/shark-sanctuaries/learn-more/laws-protecting-sharks

Trumpster
08-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Are you asking a serious question? I don't know you very well yet.

Yes, I'm serious. I really don't know the answer as to what the sharks contribute other than eating billions of smaller fish.

Mister D
08-05-2017, 04:44 PM
For one thing, they keep prey populations under control and maintain a balance. Removing the top of the food machine will have effects throughout the ecosystem (I hate that word).

Chloe
08-05-2017, 06:08 PM
I have fossilized teeth of 2 extinct sharks, the ocean is still here. I don't think man could ever kill ALL​ the sharks.
i'm sorry but that is an extremely ignorant and naive, not to mention dangerous, point of view. See post #20.

Chloe
08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Yes, I'm serious. I really don't know the answer as to what the sharks contribute other than eating billions of smaller fish.
They are the ultimate custodian of the ocean. Injured marine life, sick marine life, dying marine life, even healthy life are all kept in check by sharks, and even sharks keep other sharks in check. They eat much more than just fish as well, especially depending on the shark, and the hundreds of different shark species spread amongst millions of square miles of ocean in all corners of the planet keeps the ocean as a whole balanced. Biodiversity in our oceans is dependent on a healthy and balanced ecosystem. If you remove sharks, or any keystone species really, from an ecosystem then the biodiversity within it is harmed, in some cases destroyed.

Hundreds of millions of sharks are being killed per year by people to satisfy the fishing industry, black market trading, traditional medicines, and so on. We kill faster than the rate of reproduction and we give no time for the affected habitat to recover from the loss. Many of these shark species migrate thousands of miles a year to get to breeding grounds and feeding grounds which means they aren't staying in one little microhabitat, they travel across entire pelagic zones, and not just across but also at different depths from jus off shore where humans play to hundreds of feet down to the darkness for food. And so if they are gone, or even significantly reduced, then entire zones of the ocean can be affected by OUR actions.

Private Pickle
08-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Are the sharks they are hunting at risk or endangered?

Chloe
08-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Are the sharks they are hunting at risk or endangered?
many are and many aren't based on known numbers, but the ones that aren't currently listed as at risk are becoming at risk due to overfishing, irresponsible fishing practices such as long lining, black market trade for fins, skin, and meat, and so on. All sharks are targeted through these fishing and trade practices.

Private Pickle
08-06-2017, 09:09 AM
many are and many aren't based on known numbers, but the ones that aren't currently listed as at risk are becoming at risk due to overfishing, irresponsible fishing practices such as long lining, black market trade for fins, skin, and meat, and so on. All sharks are targeted through these fishing and trade practices.
There are already laws in place to deal with the things you mentioned. What exactly do you want?

Chloe
08-06-2017, 09:14 AM
There are already laws in place to deal with the things you mentioned. What exactly do you want?
Because people who do these practices follow the law???? can you say gun free zone argument?

What I want is for increased education, increased awareness, increased enforcement of the laws and increased punishment for all involved who break them especially the buyers, significantly increased pressure on foreign countries that turn a blind eye to the practices, and for more protection of the species', and the eventual abandonment of traditions and customs that are harmful to the planet's health as a whole. What exactly do you want?

Private Pickle
08-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Because people who do these practices follow the law???? can you say gun free zone argument?

What I want is for increased education, increased awareness, increased enforcement of the laws and increased punishment for all involved who break them especially the buyers, significantly increased pressure on foreign countries that turn a blind eye to the practices, and for more protection of the species', and the eventual abandonment of traditions and customs that are harmful to the planet's health as a whole. What exactly do you want?
Everything you just mentioned with the exception of what you really want which is for all of us to become vegetarians.

Chloe
08-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Everything you just mentioned with the exception of what you really want which is for all of us to become vegetarians.
Well that would definitely help with regards to shark conservation among many other things, but i'm not sure why you're going out of your way to try and push my buttons right now.

Private Pickle
08-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Well that would definitely help with regards to shark conservation among many other things, but i'm not sure why you're going out of your way to try and push my buttons right now.
I'm not. I just asked a simple question. And when I was asked the same I answered.

Whatever I'll see my way out of this thread.

Chloe
08-06-2017, 09:38 AM
I'm not. I just asked a simple question. And when I was asked the same I answered.

Whatever I'll see my way out of this thread.

You did not ask a "simple question," you implied that I have a hidden agenda. Just own up.

Private Pickle
08-06-2017, 09:38 AM
You did not ask a "simple question," you implied that I have a hidden agenda. Just own up.

Your agenda is anything but hidden... Have a nice day.

Chloe
08-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Your agenda is anything but hidden... Have a nice day.
OMG you are sooooo passive aggressive.

donttread
08-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Mostly it's asian countries/eastern cultures that do the majority of shark hunting for fins like this yes, however, it does not mean that there can't be more global awareness forced out there since a lot of sharks are also killed as bycatch around the world by fishermen and fishing industries.

I don't see a problem unless a particular species is endagered. Then nations will make the rules for their waters and there is little we can do about it. Besides wipe out a species and another predator will take it's place . If not start eating whatever they prey was more often.