PDA

View Full Version : Underwear Bomber Sentenced to Life in Prison

Conley
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
A Nigerian man accused of trying to bomb a US-bound flight on Christmas Day 2009 has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 25, pleaded guilty to attempting to blow up a commercial plane as a would-be suicide mission for al-Qaeda.

His family quickly called on the US government to review the sentence.

Abdulmutallab was badly burned when a bomb sewn into his underwear failed to detonate fully, prosecutors said.

Almost 300 people were on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

Some of the passengers from the flight were in the courtroom as Federal Judge Nancy Edmunds announced the sentence.

"This was an act of terrorism that cannot be quibbled with," Judge Edmunds said, as she imposed the maximum sentence.

The son of a Nigerian banker and a former engineering student at University College London, Abdulmutallab faced eight counts against him, including terrorism and attempted murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17065130

Can you imagine the pain of having your underwear partially detonate? Ow. Reminds me of a trip I took to Mexico, actually...I hope we sent his banker daddy a bill for the medical expenses.

Peter1469
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
His dad ratted him out to the CIA, yet he was still allowed to get a ticket and get on the place despite the strange circumstances- he was at the ticket counter with a well dressed man who paid cash for the ticket. And the tango didn't have any luggage or a passport I believe.

Conley
02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Interesting. I had not heard that. If memory serves it wasn't long after this that we got the TSA backscatter machines and body searches implemented.

MMC
02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Did they get a pic of the guy that was with him.....that is my question?

Peter1469
02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I would imagine that airport security cameras would have got him.

An American couple, both lawyers, were on the flight and spoke out about the strange incident at the time.

Conley
02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
The accused "underwear bomber" made a dramatic final call to his father that he found so alarming, the father approached Nigerian officials who took him directly to the CIA's station chief in the Nigerian capital, sources told ABC News.

In Ghana's Accra Airport Dec. 16, he purchased his $2,853 plane ticket with cash, what has been considered a red flag for potential terrorists.

At Lagos airport, Abdulmutallab boarded the intercontinental flight without luggage, another red flag for potential terrorists.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bombers-phone-call-father/story?id=9457361#.Tz2MykxSTcZ

Multiple failures.

MMC
02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Because there has been nothing on the issue of looking for the guy that was with him prior to take off.