PDA

View Full Version : This Chart Blows Up the Myth of the Welfare Queen

Cigar
12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Here's a useful graph to keep handy for the next time Fox News airs a report about food stamp users buying lobster with their benefits.

This month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics compared yearly spending between families that use public assistance programs, such as food stamps and Medicaid, and families that don't. And surprise, surprise, households that rely on the safety net lead some pretty frugal lifestyles. On average, they spend $30,582 in a year, compared to $66,525 for families not on public assistance. Meanwhile, they spend a third less on food, half as much on housing, and 60 percent less on entertainment.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt355/Phunclesam/image_zps94be5a5c.jpg

These figures, drawn from the 2011 Consumer Expenditure Survey, don't capture all non-cash perks some low-income families get from the government, such as healthcare coverage through Medicaid. But they give you a sense of the kind of tight finances these families deal with.

Take the food budget: There were, on average, 3.7 people in each family on public assistance (I know, that sounds weird, but bear with me). So that $6,460 spent on food comes out to about $34 per person, per week. Not exactly a shellfish budget.

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/12/this-chart-blows-up-the-myth-of-the-welfare-queen/282452/

Now comes the fun part ...

AmazonTania
12-18-2013, 12:04 PM
And? What exactly are you trying to show, that people with less money to spend generally spend less money?

That's some ground breaking information there...

Cigar
12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
And? What exactly are you trying to show, that people with less money to spend generally spend less money?

Talk to your TeaBagging, Confederate Flag waving friends ... they say they are driving Cadillac's, eating Lobsters and buying kelo's :grin:

Can't have it both ways I see.

AmazonTania
12-18-2013, 12:13 PM
So you're saying people with little 'reported' income can't afford cadillacs, eat lobster and purchase kelp's?

patrickt
12-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Of course not. He's on President Obama's income inequality crusade and he wants us to understand that people who won't work have less money than those who do work. And, he wants that obvious inequity correct. And, people who don't work and have tons of money might possibly be doing something illegal.

Cthulhu
12-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Talk to your TeaBagging, Confederate Flag waving friends ... they say they are driving Cadillac's, eating Lobsters and buying kelo's :grin:

Can't have it both ways I see.

You suggest that it is their only form of income.

Do you think they will be reporting drug deals on their w-4 form? Do you think they will be reporting money gained through prostitution or renting out a spare room in the apartment?

I know I sure don't report all my money to the tax man unless it is advantageous to do so.

Not all receivers are drug dealers nor prostitutes, but there is a segment definitely gaming the system.

Codename Section
12-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Lot's of people game the system and I approve. I love underground markets.

Cthulhu
12-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Lot's of people game the system and I approve. I love underground markets.

Anything that isn't evil or dishonorable and reduces tax revenue is okay in my book.

More people should starve the monster.

AmazonTania
12-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Since Cigar doesn't know that Transfer payments make up an enormous share of income, it's very easy for people with a low income to make around $50,000 income receiving benefits.

Single Mom Who Makes $29,000 Actually “Makes” More than $69,000 Salary?

Consider this. For a single mother who makes $29,000 per year, when coupled with government assistance (CHIP, Medicare, Food, Energy, Negative Income Tax, etc.) receives over $57,327 in “income” from her employer and government help. If that same mother has a salaried job of $69,000 a year, she actually makes less “income”. Because of the tax system and drop off in benefits, that mother makes only $57,045 dollars in net income and benefits.

http://benswann.com/single-mom-who-makes-29000-actually-makes-more-than-69000-salary/