PDA

View Full Version : 10 reasons why the mafia is better than government

Peter1469
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IErlI34-0so#!

Conley
02-17-2012, 04:25 PM
:laugh:

Granny's got some fire! Awesome

jgreer
02-18-2012, 02:09 AM
What are the reasons the video cant play on my comp

Chris
02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
http://i.snag.gy/YZXtk.jpg

Conley
02-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Ha! The guy in the background looks an awful lot like a man who's tried to cut down on that stealing. Not a surprise the Government Nostra wants him to sleep with the fishes!

Mister D
02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
What are the reasons the video cant play on my comp

It has a program that can detect your political leanings. It will only play for conservatives and libertarians. :grin:

Conley
02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
It has a program that can detect your political leanings. It will only play for conservatives and libertarians. :grin:

Haha, JGreer isn't leaning left...he fully fell over. :grin:

waltky
07-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Hey Luigi, go getta the boss a cannoli, he lookin' piqued ...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/oldicons/icon16.gif
Notorious Italian mafia boss Bernardo Provenzano dead at 83
July 13, 2016 - Italian mafia boss Bernardo Provenzano, one of the most notorious crime figures of his time, has died in a Milan hospital at the age of 83, prison authorities said on Wednesday.

Provenzano was the undisputed head of the Sicilian Cosa Nostra Mafia from 1993 until his arrest in 2006 ended 43 years on the run. As a young hitman in Corleone, the hill town near Palermo made famous in the Godfather films, Provenzano made a name for himself with such ruthlessness that he became known as "the tractor" because of the way he mowed down clan enemies. After his arrest he suffered serious health problems, including cancer and Parkinson's disease, and in 2014 was transferred from a Parma prison to the San Paolo Hospital in Milan where he was still held under maximum security.

Over more than four decades Provenzano became a legendary outlaw and fugitive for evading police. Investigators believe he was in Sicily, probably often within sight of his hometown, all those years, protected by a network of local contacts. When he was caught, Provenzano had already been convicted in absentia for a string of murders, including the 1992 killings of two anti-mafia prosecutors, Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino, for which he was sentenced to life imprisonment. Until his arrest at the age of 73 at a farmhouse near Corleone, one of the last pictures police had of Provenzano was taken when he was just 25, in which he looked like a handsome, clean-cut captain of a soccer team.

He had turned the farmhouse into a rudimentary command center of two typewriters, a dictionary and a Bible full of home-made tabs and annotations of Old and New Testament verses. This was how Provenzano had run the mafia for more than a decade: through writing tiny messages called "pizzini" in a code language of numbers, letters and Biblical quotations. These were folded tens of times and then sealed in transparent tape and dispatched via a chain of messengers. The Sicilian term "pizzino" has since become common usage in Italian to denote any written message with a criminal function.

Provenzano, who never went to secondary school, wrote in often ungrammatical Italian. He assigned numbers from two to 164 to his accomplices - he was number one - and many of them did not know which number referred to which person. Once he became the Mafia's undisputed head in 1993, he abandoned the unbridled brutality of his early years and ran it like the chief executive of a company. The so-called "Provenzano Doctrine", which earned him the new nickname "The Accountant," was aimed at ensuring a low profile, with no more bombs or mass killings and creating consensus among the other local bosses.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/notorious-italian-mafia-boss-bernardo-provenzano-dies-103955942.html?ref=gs

waltky
07-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Mafia brought down Slovakia's government...
:shocked:
The mafia murders that brought down Slovakia's government
21 July,`18 - Jan Kuciak's desk was kept just as it was the day he left work for the last time. On it lay a book about Italy's 'Ndrangheta mafia.

The young investigative reporter had been working on a sensational story for his news website, Aktuality.SK. It was a scoop that would bring down the government of his native Slovakia. But it cost him his life. He and his fiancée Martina Kusnirova were found shot dead at close range at their home in the village of Vel'ka Maca outside the capital, Bratislava. They were only 27.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/CF9F/production/_102615135_gettyimages-926503866.jpg

Tentacles of Italian organised crime

Kuciak had uncovered a story that takes in the mafia heartlands of southern Italy and led to the City of London. It involves mobsters, hit men, politicians and money launderers and reveals that the mafia has spread far beyond Italy. Slovakia's reaction to the double murder was immediate. There were huge street protests in Bratislava that eventually led in March to the fall of the government, then headed by Prime Minister Roberto Fico. Jan Kuciak's investigation was only published after his death.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/1037/production/_102615140_pm.jpg
Before he resigned, Roberto Fico stood beside a pile of banknotes offering a reward for help in solving the murders

He had exposed the presence of the 'Ndrangheta in Slovakia. But he also discovered apparent business links between an alleged 'Ndrangheta member called Antonino Vadala and two senior government advisers. Both advisers worked for Prime Minister Fico, although no evidence has emerged that he knew of the links. They too stepped down temporarily while the matter is being investigated but vehemently denied any connection with "this horrid crime".

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16BDF/production/_102615139_gettyimages-925810604.jpg
Police searched Antonino Vadala's house in Slovakia and he denies all charges against him

Antonino Vadala claimed he was simply an entrepreneur, but he was subsequently extradited to Italy where he faces charges for cocaine smuggling. He faced separate charges in Slovakia for attempting to fraudulently obtain European Union subsidies. He denies all charges. Meanwhile the hunt for the killer of Jan Kuciak and Martina Kusnirova goes on. Kuciak discovered that Antonino Vadala was a member of the notorious Vadala clan based in the small town of Bova Marina in Calabria in the south of Italy. The family is one of 150 clans that constitute the highly secretive 'Ndrangheta.

'Ndrangheta: Rise of a mafia empire (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44873067)

MisterVeritis
07-21-2018, 10:13 PM
That explains why it worked flawlessly for me.

Helena
07-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Nice. Here's her reply in explanation/defense of her hyperbole.

I am the person who made that speech back in 2011, and of course the comments below--even the poorly thought out ones--have been interesting. This discussion could perhaps benefit from a few items:1. No, I am not purple. The coloring is due to the lighting (and it didn't do much for the sweater, either). I'm actually very pale, and sunburn within 20 minutes. But I was not sunburned on that day, so the effect is pretty much external. I had no control over that, and in fact, was surprised to find out about this video after it had been on Youtube for a couple of months. (I'm not surprised that somebody filmed it--everything gets filmed nowadays.)

2. The reason that I made this speech was to show how far government power has gone. That a smaller criminal organization (one that famously uses violence and the threat of violence to enforce its governance) can even be COMPARED to government should get people to think about how far government overreach has gone.

3. I do not favor a "takeover by the Mafia." That's not the point. Those who choose not to understand that (see number 2 above) may be people who prefer to see the government as the ideal that we are taught in school civics classes. That ideal is mostly gone. We can debate about the reasons why it's deteriorated, but that doesn't subtract from the reality that it has long left the territory that was originally envisioned--that of consent by the governed. If you are not a person who still believes in the ideal yet accept what government has become "because it's the only alternative," take a moment to consider that governments grow. They do not remain static. There are very few cases where government has actually been limited, and most of those did not stay limited. They continue to require ever more resources, they become less efficient, and they--by necessity--limit the lives and choices of their citizens by an increasing load of laws and regulations. Please try to determine for yourself how much is too much. Where do you draw that line? And did you really consent to the vast web of law and regulation and enforcement and control that "your" government has become?

4. Oddly enough, I'm not terribly stupid--as a few commenters have suggested--by what some people consider fairly objective standards. I hold degrees in the hard sciences, run two businesses, and have a reasonable track record in several areas, including considerable community involvement where I live. However, this is not particularly exceptional for the community involved with Porcfest and other advocates of liberty. The community has a much higher percentage of degree holders, high-tech professions, and entrepreneurs than the general population. Many are committed to sustaining the communities that they live in, whether by political or apolitical means, simply because (gasp!) they live there. Yes, #nhitslikethistoo (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23nhitslikethistoo)

5. And yes, I am certainly of grandmother age. All of you will eventually reach it (if you haven't already) provided you live long enough to do so. I am also at the age where I see what has been left to at least the next two generations: if you are among them, you will be left holding the bag for the huge debt that a voracious government has saddled you with. If you don't think that will affect your freedom to make choices in your life, please try to understand what it's going to take to collect the kind of money to pay off that debt (or alternatively, the consequences of defaulting on that debt). Please do not be fooled by the promises that "the government will take care of you" without asking "At what cost?" As Thomas Jefferson pointed out over 200 years ago, "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have." Don't give away your own life, and don't give away other people's lives, either.

Lummy
07-22-2018, 11:54 AM
She even looks like Guido.