PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for More Deadly Bird Flu to Be Published

Conley
02-18-2012, 09:45 AM
the full details of recent experiments that made a deadly flu virus more contagious will be published, probably within a few months, despite recommendations by the United States that some information be kept secret for fear that terrorists could use it to start epidemics.

The announcement, made on Friday by the World Health Organization, follows two months of heated debate about the flu research. The recommendation to publish the work in full came from a meeting of 22 experts in flu and public health from various countries who met on Thursday and Friday in Geneva at the organization’s headquarters to discuss “urgent issues” raised by the research.

Most of the group felt that any theoretical risk of the virus’s being used by terrorists was far outweighed by the “real and present danger” of similar flu viruses in the wild, and by the need to study them and freely share information that could help identify the exact changes that might signal that a virus is developing the ability to cause a pandemic, said Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who represented the United States at the meeting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/health/details-of-bird-flu-research-will-be-released.html

I disagree with this decision but I don't see how a ban would be enforceable. Technology and knowledge continue to advance and they can't be stopped long term. It's the same issue with the strategy being used to combat the Iranian nuclear program. Hopefully with this delay scientists have had more time to figure out a way to combat the flu if it is going to be more virulent when this strain or one like it gets out.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 09:48 AM
New strains of flu are deadly business so I fully support such studies. For example, the flu epidemic of 1919 killed more people than the war that had just ended.

Conley
02-18-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm fine with studying them but not so keen on them publishing how to make more deadly versions. What if someone engineers an airborne version of HIV? These virus recombinations are risky business.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure how that's handled. Would everyone have access to such academic journals? On the other hand, I guess all it takes is a handful of corrupt researchers.

Conley
02-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure how that's handled. Would everyone have access to such academic journals? On the other hand, I guess all it takes is a handful of corrupt researchers.

Sure, sometimes you have to pay a few bucks but that wouldn't be a problem. Obviously the scientists would need to know what they're doing to create such a thing but the terrorists don't even need scientists if others have already done their work for them.

This deadly strain was in a university lab in the Netherlands that didn't have anything more than campus security. I think bioterrorism is a much bigger issue than people realize and it's a lot easier to move this stuff around than any sort of nuke.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 10:25 AM
True. I would hope that live strains are under tight security.

Elibe
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
we ban research on stem cells, why not on deadly viruses too.

it should be considered at least.

Peter1469
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Bans don't work. And we never banned research on stem cells. We banned funding it with tax dollars. You can legally give all of your money for stem cell research if you think it wise. Go ahead.

wingrider
02-18-2012, 04:46 PM
I want that recipe..

Mister D
02-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I want that recipe..

Looks as tasty as the yellow cake recipe. :grin:

Conley
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
:laugh: You guys are nasty.

wingrider
02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Looks as tasty as the yellow cake recipe. :grin:

I made a yellow cake the other day with chocolate frosting..

but I need that recipe for the bird flu to innoculate my chickens so they don't come down with it.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
If you're chowing down on yellow cake the flu is the last of your concerns, mt friend. :wink:

Conley
02-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I made a yellow cake the other day with chocolate frosting..

but I need that recipe for the bird flu to innoculate my chickens so they don't come down with it.

You just moved the threat level to orange. :sad:

Mister D
02-18-2012, 09:25 PM
You just moved the threat level to orange. :sad:

Orange chicken? Perhaps some yellow cake for dessert?

Ugh that sounds awful on several levels.

Conley
02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
They killed the color system! :shocked: :angry:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm

Mister D
02-18-2012, 09:47 PM
That system was mocked from day one. I understood why it was instituted though.

Conley
02-18-2012, 10:13 PM
What is wrong with orange chicken? :angry:

Mister D
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM

The name alone gives me the creeps. Then you have the whole is it really chicken concerns...

wingrider
02-19-2012, 10:17 AM

havent you ever heard of peking orange duck? just substitute the duck for a chicken and you are in there,,

Conley
02-19-2012, 10:26 AM
The name alone gives me the creeps. Then you have the whole is it really chicken concerns...

:laugh: You don't need to order it in a sketchy restaurant. You can make it yourself....lemon chicken is really good too. Just sayin'.

MMC
02-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah.....they have a few restaurants that serve Lemon Rice/w Chicken around here. It's not bad at all.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
:laugh: You don't need to order it in a sketchy restaurant. You can make it yourself....lemon chicken is really good too. Just sayin'.

Chicken is not orange! That's sketchy to begin with. :angry: Damn chickens were probably eating yellow cake from a Chinese reactor and they shipped them over here. Hey, you Americans like to eat garbage. Here ya go...

MMC
02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
My Step-son says thats all wrong.....you need to think color coordiantion. Orange Chicken, Red Cake, and Brown and Blackened meat. :laugh:

Conley
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Blackened catfish. :tongue: Mmm...

MMC
02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Blackened catfish. :tongue: Mmm...

Aren't catfish bottom feeders? Kinda like carp eh.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Very popular in the south. Captain has a recipe he really likes.

Conley
02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Aren't catfish bottom feeders? Kinda like carp eh.

Yup, they probably eat all the bad stuff.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Blackened chicken was great. Had it when I visited my bro in Baton Rouge.

MMC
02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I have had several relatives that go for that catfish. My grams and her husband use to go up to Minnesota all the time. Fish for just about anything up there too. Muskie, Pike, Walleye.

wingrider
02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Very popular in the south. Captain has a recipe he really likes.

yep Carfish rolled in cornmeal and deepfried.. mmmmmm mmmmmm good

Mister D
02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I last had it (catfish but not blackened) many years ago as a young teen and I hated it. Not sure how I would feel about it now. I'd definitely try it.