PDA

View Full Version : How works the electricity market in USA?

kilgram
12-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I am curious to know and compare the electricity market of USA with the Spanish. The Spanish is a model that is really opaque and I don't understand well at all, because the data about this is not public. However it works in a system of auction to regulate the prices, in fast summary.

But the question, and my interest is to discuss the market in USA.

donttread
12-22-2013, 05:18 PM
In the US we have bypassed the obvious solutions of individual home solar and community wind in favor of transporting electricity hundreds of miles , losing much of it , to extend corporate umbilical cords into every home and feed Exxon while we're at it.

I am curious to know and compare the electricity market of USA with the Spanish. The Spanish is a model that is really opaque and I don't understand well at all, because the data about this is not public. However it works in a system of auction to regulate the prices, in fast summary.

Mainecoons
12-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Could you share with us just how much power Exxon is generating and selling?

Peter1469
12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
The US has three interconnected grids, which theoretically can cut off a failing grid to protect the other two. Localities contract with a public utility to provide the electricity for the area customers. Because there is typically no real competition for a long period of time the localities set a lot of terms like profit for the utility, for example.

Quality of service (normal and emergency) is obviously different. But often that is caused by local ordinances. This area is a good example since northern Virginia, DC, and parts of Maryland are all close together. If power goes out in the area (storms, etc) Northern Virginia is typically the first back online, then the parts of DC that lost power (the center working / government area typically doesn't lose power because all the lines are underground), then Maryland comes up last. The big issue with Maryland is local ordinances which prohibit the utilities from cutting tree limbs away from over head power lines. People complain that it takes forever to get power back, but refuse to left anyone cut their trees back....

That is most of what I know, hope it is what you were looking for.

patrickt
12-22-2013, 05:39 PM
donttread: "In the US we have bypassed the obvious solutions of individual home solar and community wind...."

Now that's funny.

patrickt
12-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm not in the business, either, but when I lived in the U.S. there was a large plant near our town producing electricity. It was a semi-government operation. I forget the name but it was the something or other Power Authority. Oddly enough, according to the city Light and Power department, we got most of our electricity from another source, farther away, because it was cheaper.

A major problem with the City Light and Power was the need to accrue capital for maintenance and improvements but we would have politicians who couldn't stand to see money sitting there when they could build another homeless shelter that would have their name on it.

kilgram
12-22-2013, 07:41 PM
And how the prices of the electricity are fixed? Do you believe or have the sensation that the price of the elctricity is too expensive? What is your opinion?

In Spain, we have the electricity privatized, but it is an oligarchy where the corporations do anything they want and they fix the prices as they like.

Peter1469
12-22-2013, 07:51 PM
And how the prices of the electricity are fixed? Do you believe or have the sensation that the price of the elctricity is too expensive? What is your opinion?

In Spain, we have the electricity privatized, but it is an oligarchy where the corporations do anything they want and they fix the prices as they like.

The prices are set by the local government with some say from the utility. Prices vary and are affected by supply and demand, as well as local regulations/taxes that increase the costs.

Here is what part of my last bill looked like.

donttread
12-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Mush of our electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels

Could you share with us just how much power Exxon is generating and selling?

kilgram
12-22-2013, 08:35 PM
The prices are set by the local government with some say from the utility. Prices vary and are affected by supply and demand, as well as local regulations/taxes that increase the costs.

What is the meaning of that 70.6 CR?

By the way, what do you think about the system of distribution of electricity in USA? Should it be entirely private? Should it be entirely public? How should it work?

I've started this thread because I've got interested in this topic because in Spain the price of electricity is extremely expensive.

Peter1469
12-22-2013, 09:02 PM
What is the meaning of that 70.6 CR?

By the way, what do you think about the system of distribution of electricity in USA? Should it be entirely private? Should it be entirely public? How should it work?

I've started this thread because I've got interested in this topic because in Spain the price of electricity is extremely expensive.

The 70.6 was a credit having to do with my condo which I am renting to some dude. I am not living in an apartment closer to work.

The reason that we use public private is so we don't have more than one set of power lines, etc. I don't see the point of entirely public- that would lead to poor service as evidenced by almost everything else the US and state governments do.

Isn't Spain's electricity expensive because of the push towards alternative energies? How much of your costs are taxes?

kilgram
12-23-2013, 04:25 PM
The 70.6 was a credit having to do with my condo which I am renting to some dude. I am not living in an apartment closer to work.

The reason that we use public private is so we don't have more than one set of power lines, etc. I don't see the point of entirely public- that would lead to poor service as evidenced by almost everything else the US and state governments do.

Isn't Spain's electricity expensive because of the push towards alternative energies? How much of your costs are taxes?
In Spain the main production of electricity comes from nuclear, coal and wind. It means that the alternative energies represent one of the main sources of production of electricity.

The costs of the electricity in Spain is divided in:

- Cost of production: Calculated in auctions, that costs 5.25 cents of € for KWh

- Loses of the system: Cost of the electricity lost in the transport to the final consumer. 0.59 cents of € KWh

- Managing costs of the system: What is collected by REE (Red Electrica Española, who is the one who transport all electricity) to grant that the electricity arrives to everybody in the quantity that is demanded.

- Transport and distribution: 2.87 cents €

- Bonus to the energies of special character: Eolic, solar and minihidraulic and others. Cost: 3.7 cents € KWh

- Payment of previous deficit of the system: 0.95 cents € KWh

- Others: Islands, nuclear moratory...: 0,63 cents € KWh

- Taxes: 4% and VAT 21%. Total 3,9 cents of € KWh
http://i0.wp.com/www.desdeelexilio.com/wp-content/uploads/COMPONENTES-COSTE-ELECTRICIDAD1.jpg?resize=570%2C422
Source in Spanish (http://www.desdeelexilio.com/2013/11/01/cosas-deberia-saber-mercado-precio-electricidad/)

Professor Peabody
12-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Wholesale electricity prices rose across the United States

Republished: July 29, 2013: Text was modified to clarify content.

Average on-peak, day-ahead wholesale electricity prices rose in every region of the Lower 48 states in first-half 2013 compared to first-half 2012. The most important factor was the rise in the price of natural gas (the marginal fuel for generation in much of the nation) in 2013 compared to 10-year lows in April 2012. However, the increase in power prices was not uniform across electric markets as regional natural gas supply issues drove larger increases in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest.

The California power market also experienced a large (59%) increase in wholesale power prices. As with the rest of the nation, this increase was largely the result of higher natural gas prices. The ongoing outage of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) contributed to a continued separation in power prices between the northern and southern parts of the state's electric system.

Trends in power prices in the rest of the nation were generally set by higher natural gas prices, which is the marginal fuel for electric generation in most regions. Spot natural gas prices at major hubs across the nation increased between 42% and 146% between the first half of 2012 and the first half of 2013.

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=12211

Obama's asinine energy policies in conjunction with the EPA Gestapo are killing jobs and the economy. Add to that California's own Jerry "brown-streak hi speed rail" Browndoggle and his own merry band of enviro assholes CARB and you get a nauseating stew of high taxes, sky high electricity rates and high unemployment (9.6% in my county).

Mainecoons
12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
November power prices set a record for the month. Obama and the EPA are succeeding in making electricity expensive in America. No doubt this is really helping the less well off in the best Democrat fashion since the poorer folks have to spend a larger portion of their incomes on necessities like utilities. Perhaps liberals think the poor will be tougher if they freeze/cook them more.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/christmas-lights-electricity-price-index-all-time-high-us

http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/large/images/ELECTRICITY%20PRICE%20INDEX-11-2013.jpg

Professor Peabody
12-25-2013, 04:23 PM

I paid more than that for 182 kWh.