PDA

View Full Version : Vets or Pets and Animals room?

Peter1469
12-23-2013, 06:32 PM
I decided on Vets.

An interesting story about the "paradogs" (http://io9.com/remembering-the-heroic-parachuting-dogs-of-d-day-1485892775) of WWII. When I was in airborne school the instructors jumped with the company mascot- a bull dog. But he was strapped to the instructor and didn't have his own chute.

On the eve of the Normandy invasion, three planes carrying the members of Britain's 13th Battalion took off for France. In addition to the 60 men aboard, each plane carried one dog. The story of how these paratrooping canines got there — and what happened next — is nothing short of remarkable.

The dogs' slim bodies proved to be advantageous because, during their test jumps, they could use the parachutes that had actually been designed to carry bicycles. In order to make it easier to get the dogs to jump out of the aircraft, they weren't given anything to drink or eat beforehand. On April 2, 1944, Bailey wrote in his notebook about the first jump with the female Alsatian Ranee. He notes that he carried with him a 2-pound piece of meat, and that the dog sat at his heels eagerly watching as the men at the front of the line jumped out of the plane.

Then it was their time to jump, which [Lance Cpl. Ken Bailey] describes in this way:

"After my chute developed, I turned to face the line of flight; the dog was 30 yards away and slightly above. The chute had opened and was oscillating slightly. (Ranee) looked somewhat bewildered but showed no sign of fear. I called out and she immediately turned in my direction and wagged her tail vigorously. The dog touched down 80 feet before I landed. She was completely relaxed, making no attempt to anticipate or resist the landing, rolled over once, scrambled to her feet and stood looking round. I landed 40 feet from her and immediately ran to her, released her and gave her the feed."

Jump, land, eat: With each training jump, the dogs started enjoying their job more. In fact, the dogs sometimes allowed themselves to be thrown out of the planes or lept out without any coaxing.

Codename Section
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Why were dogs jumping out of planes again?

Peter1469
12-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Why were dogs jumping out of planes again?

Because they wanted to be airborne!

In the case of the 13th Battalion, the dogs were trained to perform tasks such as locating mines, keeping watch, warning about enemies, and even serving as morale boosting mascots (indeed, dogs were also commissioned at US and British air bases for that sole purpose).

The Xl
12-23-2013, 06:35 PM
The thought of a dog parachuting made me lulz.

Germanicus
12-24-2013, 12:23 AM
A pets and animal room is a terrible idea. I think the vet section would be better if it was called a Military Section maybe. People with no military experience/training may still be interested in military stuff. Maybe a vets and a military room could be good. I never look in the vets room. Im not a vet. I would look in a military room.

Dr. Who
12-24-2013, 12:27 AM
A pets and animal room is a terrible idea. I think the vet section would be better if it was called a Military Section maybe. People with no military experience/training may still be interested in military stuff. Maybe a vets and a military room could be good. I never look in the vets room. Im not a vet. I would look in a military room.

We have a Pets and Animals room Germanicus. Peter was only trying to decide which room was appropriate to the thread. He decided to post in the Veteran's Room.

Germanicus
12-24-2013, 12:31 AM
We have a Pets and Animals room Germanicus. Peter was only trying to decide which room was appropriate to the thread. He decided to post in the Veteran's Room.

HA!

I just noticed that. Thats funny hey. I dont notice much unless I want to I think. (: Or maybe I just dont remember anything that I do not see as being important.

Dr. Who
12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
HA!

I just noticed that. Thats funny hey. I dont notice much unless I want to I think. (: Or maybe I just dont remember anything that I do not see as being important.
People post funny pet videos from the internet in the Pets forum. It's good for a laugh - like the cat that barks.

Germanicus
12-24-2013, 01:05 AM
People post funny pet videos from the internet in the Pets forum. It's good for a laugh - like the cat that barks.

Yeah. I can be too negative. Sometimes pet videos can be nice hey. And people like pets.

Dr. Who
12-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Yeah. I can be too negative. Sometimes pet videos can be nice hey. And people like pets.
This place can be too serious. A little comic relief is a good thing.