PDA

View Full Version : The Dying Middle Class In America

Mainecoons
12-24-2013, 05:57 PM
An op ed piece that I have a hard time arguing with:

While the media and politicians keep telling us the housing market has turned the corner and is healthy again, the delinquency rate on single-family residential mortgages at all commercial banks in the second quarter of this year stood at 9.41%—that’s 558% higher than the delinquency rate in the first quarter of 2005. (Source: Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis web site, last accessed September 4, 2013.)

In the first quarter of 2000, the 12-month rate of change in real disposable income per capita was up 3.2%. In the first quarter of this year, the same statistic was in negative territory—and there was no change in the second quarter. (Source: Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis web site, last accessed September 4, 2013.) The incomes of Americans are actually declining, contrary to what you’d see in periods of economic growth.

If you are following the early reports on Christmas shopping, it is looking more and more like a serious decline is showing up.

As it stands today, the U.S. government and our central bank (http://www.profitconfidential.com/central-bank/) is working to bring “calm” to the deteriorating middle class by keeping interest rates artificially low and by printing trillions of dollars in new money to save them. But unfortunately, the newly created money is finding its way to the big banks (http://www.profitconfidential.com/big-banks/) that, instead of taking the money and lending it the middle class using softer lending practices, are investing in the stock market. And interest rates, despite the Fed’s actions, are rising quickly.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/obituary-american-middle-class-155040791.html

darroll
12-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Who are they going to tax then?
The rich don't pay taxes and the poor don't either.
The rich politicians are not going to tax themselves.

iustitia
12-24-2013, 07:56 PM
We could tax no one. That's always an option.

Mainecoons
12-24-2013, 08:39 PM
With government sucking up nearly 40 percent of GNP, taxing isn't the problem. Spending and too much government is the problem.

12-25-2013, 02:26 AM
With government sucking up nearly 40 percent of GNP, taxing isn't the problem. Spending and too much government is the problem.

On some forums I've been on this would be considered racist. Just say'n.

Max Rockatansky
12-25-2013, 05:50 AM
On some forums I've been on this would be considered racist. Just say'n.

Why would they consider it racist? Labeling something without facts is silly. Just calling something what it clearly is not is pure emotional appeal, not logical debate. A single-celled zygote isn't a human being. An apple seed isn't an apple tree. Raising concern about Federal spending isn't racist.

Peter1469
12-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Why would they consider it racist? Labeling something without facts is silly. Just calling something what it clearly is not is pure emotional appeal, not logical debate. A single-celled zygote isn't a human being. An apple seed isn't an apple tree. Raising concern about Federal spending isn't racist.

I think he was either joking, or pointing out the habit that some liberals have to drop the race card at every opportunity.

Max Rockatansky
12-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I think he was either joking, or pointing out the habit that some liberals have to drop the race card at every opportunity.

He's right about tossing the race card inappropriately. My point was to elaborate on how 1) it muddies the waters to do so and 2) both sides use the tactic, they just use different labels as the current abortion threads exemplify.

12-25-2013, 12:08 PM

I was being facetious.

Max Rockatansky
12-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I was being facetious.
I know you were. "Just say'n" is a common text means of winking.

From another thread:

http://imageshack.com/a/img51/8021/6f1.gif

McCool
12-25-2013, 12:13 PM
On some forums I've been on this would be considered racist. Just say'n. The Salt Lake Tribune's "TribTalk" would have someone ousted in 3.7 seconds for repeating such blasphemy.

jillian
12-25-2013, 12:18 PM
An op ed piece that I have a hard time arguing with:

If you are following the early reports on Christmas shopping, it is looking more and more like a serious decline is showing up.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/obituary-american-middle-class-155040791.html

isn't that the guy who creates these nightmare scenario things so he can sell his videos?

yeah, i thought so.

Mainecoons
12-25-2013, 12:20 PM
You get your first broken record of the day for yet another ad hom.