PDA

View Full Version : Santorum's Charitable Donations

Conley
02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
White House hopeful Rick Santorum lags behind both his 2012 competitors and wealthy Americans in general when it comes to charitable giving, according to tax documents.

Santorum gave $81,500 to charity over the past four years, or 2.2% of the more than $3.6 million in total income he earned since leaving the Senate, the documents showed.

The tax returns, provided to CNN on Thursday, did not break down charitable giving by recipient.

From 2007 to 2009, Santorum's rate of charitable giving fluctuated between 2.03% and 2.67% of his earnings.

In 2010, the rate dropped to 1.76% of his $923,411 in income. That same year, President Obama gave 14.2% of his income to charity, while Mitt Romney donated 13.8% and Newt Gingrich gave 2.6%.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/16/news/economy/santorum_charity/index.htm

It's interesting to me that a man who stresses the importance of private charities and his church has given so little financially. The article goes on to talk about a charity Santorum started which collected 2.3M but spent less than 50% on beneficiaries and the rest on itself. I realize it comes across as a hit piece but the numbers are what they are. On the flip side, Romney has been very generous.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Perhaps Santorum has a reply. I'm sure he'll address even if he doesn't want to. Someone will likely bring it up in an interview.

Conley
02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
It doesn't seem that bad to me, sort of like a story that will go away if ignored. Maybe it is getting bigger play than I realize?

Mister D
02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
It appears to expose some inconsistency on his part so it's inconvenient for sure.

Conley
02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
One thing I'm not clear on... church donations are considered charity, right?

Mister D
02-19-2012, 12:27 PM
One thing I'm not clear on... church donations are considered charity, right?

I don't think so but I'm not sure. That's a good question. You mean tithes and such?

Mister D
02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Yes, they are. I just looked it up. Provided the church meets certain IRS guidelines all donations/tithes are deductible.

Conley
02-19-2012, 12:33 PM
That's what I thought and then it is a surprise to me. I would have thought Santorum would have given more to his church. Random thought: It doesn't seem right to nail candidates for their tax returns when the release is voluntary and give Ron Paul a free pass for not releasing his.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm curious to hear his response or that of his campaign. I bet his campaign will handle this for the most part.

Peter1469
02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Just remember to get receipts. Once you give over $500 in a year you have to support each gift with a receipt.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Just remember to get receipts. Once you give over $500 in a year you have to support each gift with a receipt.

Oh shoot. Well, I give over $500 to two charities annually and I have never kept a receipt. I'll keep that in mind. I donate online and if I was ever audited I could prove it.

Peter1469
02-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh shoot. Well, I give over $500 to two charities annually and I have never kept a receipt. I'll keep that in mind. I donate online and if I was ever audited I could prove it.

Do you file your taxes online? If you are over $500, most programs make you upload the receipts.

Conley
02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I may be wrong, but when I researched it the receipts weren't required to be submitted and only needed to be held onto in case of an audit (these were amounts over $500).

Mister D
02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Tax year 2010 was my first year with a mortgage. I bought my house in November of that year. I got an accountant then and I'm getting one every year going forward. I'll most likely use the guy from last year. Anyway, he asked me for my charitable contributions and just put there names on the return. It was over $500 between them.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
I may be wrong, but when I researched it the receipts weren't required to be submitted and only needed to be held onto in case of an audit (these were amounts over $500).

If they audit Mister D the country is in trouble, trust me.

Peter1469
02-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Here are da' rules: http://www.traderstatus.com/charity.htm

Mister D
02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Here are da' rules: http://www.traderstatus.com/charity.htm

Thanks.

Clawhammer
02-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe Santorum just claimed only a part of his charitable donations. Maybe he feels like I do, that making a charitable donation and then claiming it for a deduction is like askin' the Government to pay the gift for you. Maybe he is a "Cheerful Giver" who gave "what was in his heart to give" without asking the Government to repay him for it... knowing how much debt this nation is already in.

NAH!!!

He's a cheapskate!

Conley
02-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe Santorum just claimed only a part of his charitable donations. Maybe he feels like I do, that making a charitable donation and then claiming it for a deduction is like askin' the Government to pay the gift for you. Maybe he is a "Cheerful Giver" who gave "what was in his heart to give" without asking the Government to repay him for it... knowing how much debt this nation is already in.

NAH!!!

He's a cheapskate!

Do you only claim part of your donations? If you don't mind me asking. I claim all of mine, not because I am asking the government to pay the gift for me but because I would rather spend that money on charities rather than hoping the government does so. I research the charities thoroughly and think they operate more efficiently.

Peter1469
02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Elvis never claimed his charitable deductions. He said it wouldn't really be charity if you do that.

I am much more selfish however. When I consider my charitable deductions, I look at how much money I am losing to taxation. And I go from there.

Maybe Santorum considers his charity to be on top of taxes, as I do???

Peter1469
02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Do you only claim part of your donations? If you don't mind me asking. I claim all of mine, not because I am asking the government to pay the gift for me but because I would rather spend that money on charities rather than hoping the government does so. I research the charities thoroughly and think they operate more efficiently.

I actually don't claim all of mine. I stop at $500 for the paperwork reasons.

Clawhammer
02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Elvis never claimed his charitable deductions. He said it wouldn't really be charity if you do that.

I am much more selfish however. When I consider my charitable deductions, I look at how much money I am losing to taxation. And I go from there.

Maybe Santorum considers his charity to be on top of taxes, as I do???

WOW! I have sump'n in common with Elvis? Cool!

In all seriousness, I claim none of my donations. I whole-heartedly agree with Elvis on that.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I will claim mine. Why not?

Conley
02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Me too. I would much rather give the government nothing and pay only for the charities and services I choose to use. I know it doesn't work that way so this is the closest I can get.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Me too. I would much rather give the government nothing and pay only for the charities and services I choose to use. I know it doesn't work that way so this is the closest I can get.

I give because I want to give. I'm not doing it because I can write it off. It would be easier not to give at all.

Clawhammer
02-19-2012, 05:16 PM

That's up to you. It's up to each of us, individually. Just like Salvation.

I hope you give cheerfully and to be generous and not for the appearance and the write-off. I'm afraid that I have meet many who give for the latter reasons.

Not that I feel "more Christian" than them. I just feel my way is more along the lines of what Christ asked for from me. From us. We all get corrupted by the World in one way or another.

Mister D
02-19-2012, 05:19 PM
That's up to you. It's up to each of us, individually. Just like Salvation.

I hope you give cheerfully and to be generous and not for the appearance and the write-off. I'm afraid that I have meet many who give for the latter reasons.

Not that I feel "more Christian" than them. I just feel my way is more along the lines of what Christ asked for from me. From us. We all get corrupted by the World in one way or another.

Salvation is the prerogative of God not men.

Who sees it but me? In any case, I have nothing to prove to either Christ or myself. Better still, he knows the heart. I can fool myself but not God. I understand where you are coming from though and respect it.

Conley
02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I give because I want to give. I'm not doing it because I can write it off. It would be easier not to give at all.

Me too. It's important to note also that these deductions are capped and they are not just subtracted from the total amount one owes.

Clawhammer
02-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Salvation is the prerogative of God not men.

Who sees it but me? In any case, I have nothing to prove to either Christ or myself. Better still, he knows the heart. I can fool myself but not God. I understand where you are coming from though and respect it.

Salvation is a gift from God. A gift much greater than any I could give in His name.

How can I give in His name without it being given completely and without gain for myself?

Mister D
02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Salvation is a gift from God. A gift much greater than any I could give in His name.

How can I give in His name without it being given completely and without gain for myself?

How are you not giving completely? It seems to me that such concerns suggest a certain anxiety with regard to one's true motivations. I have none. I know what my motivations are and would be giving the same amount regardless of the write offs. In fact, I have. Last year was the first time I took a write off. Again, why not? To prove something? To who? Myself?

Clawhammer
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
D.

First of all, don't think that I am questioning your motives. I speak of my own feelings. It aint about proving anything.

I don't feel as though I am completely giving if I receive anything other than a smile or a "Thank You" in return. By completely I mean sacrificially. I caint feel like I've done that if I get credit for it in some other way. Like on my tax return.

Peter1469
02-20-2012, 09:24 AM
D.

First of all, don't think that I am questioning your motives. I speak of my own feelings. It aint about proving anything.

I don't feel as though I am completely giving if I receive anything other than a smile or a "Thank You" in return. By completely I mean sacrificially. I caint feel like I've done that if I get credit for it in some other way. Like on my tax return.

That is reasonable. As I said above, that was the position that Elvis took.

On the other hand, I don't think that citizens should be paying any more in taxes than they are legally liable for. Otherwise, you are just feeding the beast.

Mister D
02-20-2012, 09:51 AM
D.

No worries. Like I said, I respect your POV. I just don't feel the same way. I know that my motivation is not credit or reward so what's the concern?