PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought on labels...

iustitia
12-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Obummer, Democraps, DemoRats, Rethuglicans, Repuglicans, LIEberals, et al...

These are all stupid. They're not funny and they're not clever. They don't even hint at a higher or deeper argument. Why do people use them? It seems as if the people that use them are just using them as placeholders to purposely insult the person they're debating without actually doing (no balls). That or it's to stifle debate without having to make an actual argument. Personally, I'd rather you just call me a fucking asshole and retarded than hide behind schoolyard word manipulation.

Peter1469
12-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Yes, they are stupid.

KC
12-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Political discourse in this country has become juvenile.

Mr Happy
12-25-2013, 02:46 AM

These are all stupid. They're not funny and they're not clever. They don't even hint at a higher or deeper argument. Why do people use them? It seems as if the people that use them are just using them as placeholders to purposely insult the person they're debating without actually doing (no balls). That or it's to stifle debate without having to make an actual argument. Personally, I'd rather you just call me a fucking asshole and retarded than hide behind schoolyard word manipulation.

I hear what you're saying. Then I see your tagline....

Max Rockatansky
12-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Name-calling is an emotional argument rather than a logical one. Demeaning other people by reducing them to less-than-human or deserving of punishment makes it easier to kill them. Calling Germans Krauts or Japanese Gooks in WWII was a method to dehumanize the enemy in order to make it not only easier, but justifiable to kill them.

I think those who habitually use terms like DemoRATS and ReTHUGlicans are one pistol shot away from being in the newspapers. These people have a lot of pent up hate and are looking for an outlet.

I hear what you're saying. Then I see your tagline....Good catch!

Yes, lying about the opposition is also a good technique to dehumanize them.

donttread
12-25-2013, 07:49 AM

How about Donkaphant which does refer to the deeper meaning that the "two major parties" are one

patrickt
12-25-2013, 07:56 AM
I hear what you're saying. Then I see your tagline....

Apparently, you didn't read what was written. You need to deal with those voices you hear.

Manipulating word meaning is important but childish labels, especially ones you've copied from someone else, are silly. In discussing Dr. Kermit Gosnell, a comment was made about healthy babies killed during late-term abortions. She said, "We don't consider that killing." How convenient. Word manipulation can matter. I cannot in good conscience call the Democrat Party the Democratic Party as some liberals insist for the simple reason that the party is so undemocratic.