PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About College Students and Casual Sex Revealed

Chloe
12-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Tanya Lewis, Staff Writer

NEW YORK — Contrary to popular belief, college students today aren't "hooking up" any more than in the past, a new study finds.
Recent studies and popular media have painted a picture of an increasingly prevalent hookup culture on college campuses. But researchers have now found today's college students do not have more frequent sex (http://www.livescience.com/24653-college-hookup-relationship-sex.html) or more sexual partners than undergraduates in previous eras.
"We're questioning whether college students today live in a culture that features lots of no-strings-attached, casual sex (http://www.livescience.com/16055-college-sex-hookups.html), and the general perception that college students today have more liberal attitudes toward sexuality," said study researcher Martin Monto, a sociologist at the University of Portland. Monto presented the work here today (Aug. 13) at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.

Tally your sexual partners

The study was based on a nationally representative sample from a survey of more than 1,800 people ages 18 to 25, who had graduated from high school and completed at least one year of college. The survey included questions, such as how many sexual partners (http://www.livescience.com/11387-10-surprising-sex-statistics.html) a person had since age 18, how many sexual partners per year and how often they had sex. Monto and a colleague compared survey responses from 2002-2010 to those from 1988-1996.
They found that students nowadays don't have sex more often and don't have more partners than in the previous time period. Of the students from 2002-2010, 59.3 percent reported having sex at least once a week, compared with 65.2 percent of students from 1988-1996 (the drop in rate here was not significant from a statistical perspective).
And 31.6 percent of the modern group reported having more than one sexual partner in the past year, compared with 31.9 percent of the other group surveyed. For both groups, about 50 percent reported having more than two sexual partners since they turned 18.

What 'hooking up' means

So why the perception of a hookup culture on today's college campuses?
One possibility, Monto said, is that narratives about dating culture have changed. "The term 'hooking up' is widely used today and it wasn't as widely used in the past," Monto told LiveScience. The term "hooking up" is also ambiguous — it can be used to just mean making out, but these distinctions are sometimes lost in the media, he said.
Furthermore, college students today don't necessarily think of sexual partners as potential marriage partners, Monto said. Sexually active college students of today were more likely to report that one of their sexual partners in the past year was a casual date (http://www.livescience.com/16385-college-students-support-night-stands-women.html) or pickup — and less likely to report having a spouse or regular sexual partner — compared with students in the previous era.
Attitudes toward other sexual norms have not changed much either. Today's students were no more accepting than their older peers of sexual activity between ages 14 and 16, extramarital sex or premarital sex. One difference was that students today were more accepting of sex between same-sex adults.
But on the whole, contemporary students do not live in a more sexualized culture than before, Monto said.
The research was submitted to a scientific journal but has not yet been published.

The Truth About College Students and Casual Sex Revealed | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/38843-college-hookup-culture-myth.html)

Max Rockatansky
12-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Young people have sex? Wow! Go figure!

Agreed with the premise "Contrary to popular belief, college students today aren't "hooking up" any more than in the past, a new study finds."

Chloe
12-28-2013, 09:44 PM
See...I guess my generations morals, at least when it comes to sex, aren't really getting worse in comparison to previous generations in spite of all the negative judging and assuming. :)

Max Rockatansky
12-28-2013, 10:09 PM
See...I guess my generations morals, at least when it comes to sex, aren't really getting worse in comparison to previous generations in spite of all the negative judging and assuming. :)

No, it isn't. What has changed is that people talk about it more. Consider the case of JFK's philandering. It was a verboten topic for the press. Nowadays even a hint of a President looking at another woman creates headlines. Times change, but human sexuality does not.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbJr4ocIAAAZGEH.jpg

nathanbforrest45
12-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh come on, no one ever had sex before 1997.
I think previous generations lied.

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 11:23 PM
No, it isn't. What has changed is that people talk about it more. Consider the case of JFK's philandering. It was a verboten topic for the press. Nowadays even a hint of a President looking at another woman creates headlines. Times change, but human sexuality does not.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbJr4ocIAAAZGEH.jpg

Of course.

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Oh come on, no one ever had sex before 1997.
I think previous generations lied.

No shit.I am 62 and I had a lot of fun in my car,at the drive in movie and the back country roads.

roadmaster
12-29-2013, 02:54 AM
See...I guess my generations morals, at least when it comes to sex, aren't really getting worse in comparison to previous generations in spite of all the negative judging and assuming. :) Actually it is worse. From same sex to having 8 children with different dads.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Actually it is worse. From same sex to having 8 children with different dads.

Disagreed. The difference between now and then is that now you read about it on the Internet....with pictures!

jillian
12-29-2013, 06:28 AM

college kids have eight children with different dads?

really?

Peter1469
12-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Young people have sex? Wow! Go figure!

Agreed with the premise "Contrary to popular belief, college students today aren't "hooking up" any more than in the past, a new study finds."

Right- and I think that means that there was more sex going on in the past than people today think. I do agree with the OP's statement that the big difference is the toleration of same sex relationships. When I was in my officers basic course (near a very good college) a bunch of us went to a Cracker Barrel to nurse hangovers on Sunday morning. There was a group of college kids at a table, not that close to us. But they felt the need to talk loud enough for us to hear. So we listened.

Someone asked one dude about another dude and their relationship. He said that he wasn't gay, he just wanted to experiment and that he felt bad that the gay dude fell in love with him. He then said that he did like how the gay guy was doing anything possible to win his attention....

So my group decided to wait for BW-3s to open so we could get drunk again. Kids today.....

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Right- and I think that means that there was more sex going on in the past than people today think. I do agree with the OP's statement that the big difference is the toleration of same sex relationships. When I was in my officers basic course (near a very good college) a bunch of us went to a Cracker Barrel to nurse hangovers on Sunday morning. There was a group of college kids at a table, not that close to us. But they felt the need to talk loud enough for us to hear. So we listened.

Someone asked one dude about another dude and their relationship. He said that he wasn't gay, he just wanted to experiment and that he felt bad that the gay dude fell in love with him. He then said that he did like how the gay guy was doing anything possible to win his attention....

So my group decided to wait for BW-3s to open so we could get drunk again. Kids today.....

No doubt people are more open about their sexual relationships these days even if actual sexual frequency and acts haven't changed.

Since they were talking loud enough to hear, there's a possibility those college kids were deliberately fucking with you. While it's possible the one kid was straight, but experimenting, I think the odds are he was gay and tweaking all of those in earshot was more likely.

Peter1469
12-29-2013, 08:24 AM
No doubt people are more open about their sexual relationships these days even if actual sexual frequency and acts haven't changed.

Since they were talking loud enough to hear, there's a possibility those college kids were deliberately fucking with you. While it's possible the one kid was straight, but experimenting, I think the odds are he was gay and tweaking all of those in earshot was more likely.

The place was crowed, so I doubt that they even noticed us. I suppose they could have just been playing a game, but if so, they kept it up without breaking character.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 08:28 AM
The place was crowed, so I doubt that they even noticed us. I suppose they could have just been playing a game, but if so, they kept it up without breaking character.

A bunch of young college kids talking loudly in a Cracker Barrel? They could have just been talking, but I distinctly remember trying to fuck with people in my college days. Just not on that particular subject. :)

Peter1469
12-29-2013, 09:03 AM
A bunch of young college kids talking loudly in a Cracker Barrel? They could have just been talking, but I distinctly remember trying to fuck with people in my college days. Just not on that particular subject. :)

You're sure? :smiley: I never did stuff like that in college, but I didn't go right out of high school.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 09:12 AM
You're sure? :smiley: I never did stuff like that in college, but I didn't go right out of high school.

Unfortunately, I did which is why my real major was "Pussy and Beer" and my GPA showed it. I did notice that the Vietnam vets in class with me were a lot more serious about college.

Ten years later when I went back for a Master's, I was equally as serious about my classes and my grades reflected it.

A good reason to send HS graduates away for two years as missionaries, Peace Corps volunteers or a hitch in the military before sending them to college.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Disagreed. The difference between now and then is that now you read about it on the Internet....with pictures!

your correct

countryboy
12-29-2013, 09:47 AM
your correct
First time for everything. :grin: j/k.....there was that one other time. :grin: :grin:

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 10:01 AM
First time for everything. :grin: j/k.....there was that one other time. :grin: :grin:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile!

Of course, the more nuts there are to be found, the easier it is to find one. http://imageshack.us/a/img21/2374/tgx.gif

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile!

Of course, the more nuts there are to be found, the easier it is to find one. http://imageshack.us/a/img21/2374/tgx.gif

I wish I found more nuts when I was younger.Oh well.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I wish I found more nuts when I was younger.Oh well.

You've come to the right place. This is a target rich environment for squirrels looking for nuts!

http://www.cyclismas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/squirrel-with-nuts-300x234.jpg

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:32 AM
You've come to the right place. This is a target rich environment for squirrels looking for nuts!

http://www.cyclismas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/squirrel-with-nuts-300x234.jpg

So easy to be misunderstood!!LOL!

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 10:37 AM
So easy to be misunderstood!!LOL!

Yes, it is!

In a double entendre, like a bisexual at an orgy, it can go either way. :D

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes, it is!
The Truth About College Students and Casual Sex Revealed (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/20664-The-Truth-About-College-Students-and-Casual-Sex-Revealed)
In a double entendre, like a bisexual at an orgy, it can go either way. :D

Being a welder,my only experience with AC/DC was/is with my welding machines.

countryboy
12-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I have lots of experience with AC/DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4ijIQYYNo

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Being a welder,my only experience with AC/DC was/is with my welding machines.

Which is exactly the only way I go AC/DC myself. Do you have your own welders?

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Which is exactly the only way I go AC/DC myself. Do you have your own welders?

Yes I do.
A Lincoln AC/DC 250 amp ,propane fueled,2 cyl Onan ,9000 watt generator
A Hobart 220 volt electric ,stick/tig,no hi-freq
A 110 volt Miller stick

Sold my 450 amp Idealarc stick/tig ,bernard water cooler,etc and my Weld n power diesal

So you weld?

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes I do.
A Lincoln AC/DC 250 amp ,propane fueled,2 cyl Onan ,9000 watt generator
A Hobart 220 volt electric ,stick/tig,no hi-freq
A 110 volt Miller stick

Sold my 450 amp Idealarc stick/tig ,bernard water cooler,etc and my Weld n power diesal

So you weld?

Great setup! Yes, but not a professional. I took a year's worth welding classes a couple years back as part of my retirement planning. I currently weld for fun and to master my skills. My stick ain't bad, but I'd really like to focus more on TIG. MIG, of course, is easy.

I have an old Montgomery Ward (Lincoln inside) cracker box and a Clarke 130EN which I had before classes, but my main equipment is a Miller Syncrowave 200 and a Millermatic 211. I also have a Hobart Airforce 250ci plasma cutter and 14" Dewalt chop saw but prefer a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cutting blade for most work.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Great setup! Yes, but not a professional. I took a year's worth welding classes a couple years back as part of my retirement planning. I currently weld for fun and to master my skills. My stick ain't bad, but I'd really like to focus more on TIG. MIG, of course, is easy.

I have an old Montgomery Ward (Lincoln inside) cracker box and a Clarke 130EN which I had before classes, but my main equipment is a Miller Syncrowave 200 and a Millermatic 211. I also have a Hobart Airforce 250ci plasma cutter and 14" Dewalt chop saw but prefer a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cutting blade for most work.

Lotta equipment for an amateur!!!

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I have been using a 4 inch grinder with a 6 inch die grinding blade for cutting the past several years.
And that is what I know about casual,current,college sex.

countryboy
12-29-2013, 11:14 AM

The angle grinder with a diamond blade is a staple in my line of work. Tile. Sometimes I don't even set up a wet saw on smaller jobs.

kilgram
12-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Before that was not possible? No? LOL.

And obviously before same sex was uncommon and no one practiced it. It is fault of Freddy Mercury who introduced this.

Codename Section
12-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Sex is just a physical activity based off of a biological need. If you take precautions you should be ok and if you're not, on well...Darwin Award.

Women who have sex a lot aren't sluts, they're great. :D

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Sex is just a physical activity based off of a biological need. If you take precautions you should be ok and if you're not, on well...Darwin Award.

Women who have sex a lot aren't sluts, they're great. :D

Never thought of women as being sluts.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
The angle grinder with a diamond blade is a staple in my line of work. Tile. Sometimes I don't even set up a wet saw on smaller jobs.

I've worked with concrete such as putting in sidewalks, but never masonry. It's been something I wanted to look into for some home projects.

countryboy
12-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I've worked with concrete such as putting in sidewalks, but never masonry. It's been something I wanted to look into for some home projects.
Well, if you need any advice on ceramic and natural stone tile installations, I'm your guy. I'm pretty well versed in other building trades as well. Not welding, but I sure could use a welder around here at the homestead, just for small repairs of various equipment.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Well, if you need any advice on ceramic and natural stone tile installations, I'm your guy. I'm pretty well versed in other building trades as well. Not welding, but I sure could use a welder around here at the homestead, just for small repairs of various equipment.
Give me a call! I was born in Ohio.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 11:39 AM

That's one of the things I hope to do in retirement. There are lots of farms and ranches around here that could use occasional welding work.

I could have used you last year when I was replacing my flooring! I wanted something durable and pet friendly. Tile would have been perfect, but I went with vinyl planking.

countryboy
12-29-2013, 11:51 AM
That's one of the things I hope to do in retirement. There are lots of farms and ranches around here that could use occasional welding work.

I could have used you last year when I was replacing my flooring! I wanted something durable and pet friendly. Tile would have been perfect, but I went with vinyl planking.
You certainly can't beat tile for durability. But some of the vinyl planking these days is pretty darn good. I've done some large commercial jobs with vinyl planking. They are making some really cool "wood look" ceramic tile planking these days too.

This material is similar to a job I did recently. Though I never recommend installing ceramic tile without at least a 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch grout joint.

fistacup
12-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I think there are more options today to have casual sex for students there are sites that are geared for that Ill give you an example of a new one that Im sure students are using. Head4roof.com. Look at the site and I think you will agree with my comment.

[QUOTE=Peter1469;471579]Right- and I think that means that there was more sex going on in the past than people today think. I do agree with the OP's statement that the big difference is the toleration of same sex relationships. When I was in my officers basic course (near a very good college) a bunch of us went to a Cracker Barrel to nurse hangovers on Sunday morning. There was a group of college kids at a table, not that close to us. But they felt the need to talk loud enough for us to hear. So we listened.

So my group decided to wait for BW-3s to open so we could get drunk again. Kids today.....[/Q

roadmaster
12-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Disagreed. The difference between now and then is that now you read about it on the Internet....with pictures! No in my whole High School only one person had a child. Back then there were not many single mothers. College age kids and younger many have no responsibility now.

Codename Section
12-29-2013, 04:28 PM
No in my whole High School only one person had a child. Back then there were not many single mothers. College age kids and younger many have no responsibility now.

Not a lot of women went to college back then, either.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
When I was in junior high school a girl disappeared if she became pregnant.Condoms were kept behind the counter in the drugstore.Giving birth control and/or birth control info to single adults/people was illegal.By the time I was in high school birth control was legal,condoms still behind the counter,pregnant girls out of site.

When I taught in the 80's I was happy to see that pregnant girls were allowed to stay in school.

Different people,my parents age, that I have talked to about pre-marital and teen sex said the same thing"pregnancy happened and the girls were kept out of sight."

Peter1469
12-29-2013, 04:47 PM
=fistacup;472091]I think there are more options today to have casual sex for students there are sites that are geared for that Ill give you an example of a new one that Im sure students are using. Head4roof.com. Look at the site and I think you will agree with my comment.

If I lived in a college dorm, a porn site on the internet would be the last place I would be looking for chicks.

roadmaster
12-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Not a lot of women went to college back then, either. True but look at the stats, too many woman having children today without being married. Majority of houses without two parents and the list goes on. Even in college I knew none that didn't have two parents unless one died. May have been different in other towns or states. Besides that the females that were running around having sex with guys were not looked at as being someone most wanted to be like. Dating to us was friendship and having fun.

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 06:38 PM
No in my whole High School only one person had a child. Back then there were not many single mothers. College age kids and younger many have no responsibility now.

Really? How many had to leave to take care of their sick grandmothers?

Max Rockatansky
12-29-2013, 06:40 PM
When I was in junior high school a girl disappeared if she became pregnant.Condoms were kept behind the counter in the drugstore.Giving birth control and/or birth control info to single adults/people was illegal.By the time I was in high school birth control was legal,condoms still behind the counter,pregnant girls out of site.

When I taught in the 80's I was happy to see that pregnant girls were allowed to stay in school.

Different people,my parents age, that I have talked to about pre-marital and teen sex said the same thing"pregnancy happened and the girls were kept out of sight."

A similar story here, but I went to a lot of different schools. Still, there was a social stigma about unwed mothers and that boys who knocked a girl up should do the "right" thing and marry her. I'm sure most were divorced by the time they were in their 30s.

Chloe
12-29-2013, 07:06 PM
There are practically no high school or college age girls that want to be single mothers or want to get pregnant before they're married. Unfortunately mistakes happen and some girls end up having that happen to them, but for the most part very very few are apathetic about pregnancy, in fact I'd say most are scared to death of it. Most girls daydream and plan what they want for their future wedding even before they are dating someone, and even the ones that are dating and having sex with no intention of probably marrying that particular guy. I don't think the mentality of girls right now is more accepting of the idea of getting pregnant before you are ready, but I do think that the stigma just isn't quite as cruel as it probably once was, and that's not a horrible thing. I'm sure there is a lot of shame and regret that goes into getting pregnant before you are married or being a single mom while you are in high school or college, so no need to rub it in. I think a big reason it seems like it's worse to some of you is media coverage, social media, and just everybody knowing each other's business.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 07:20 PM
There are practically no high school or college age girls that want to be single mothers or want to get pregnant before they're married. Unfortunately mistakes happen and some girls end up having that happen to them, but for the most part very very few are apathetic about pregnancy, in fact I'd say most are scared to death of it. Most girls daydream and plan what they want for their future wedding even before they are dating someone, and even the ones that are dating and having sex with no intention of probably marrying that particular guy. I don't think the mentality of girls right now is more accepting of the idea of getting pregnant before you are ready, but I do think that the stigma just isn't quite as cruel as it probably once was, and that's not a horrible thing. I'm sure there is a lot of shame and regret that goes into getting pregnant before you are married or being a single mom while you are in high school or college, so no need to rub it in. I think a big reason it seems like it's worse to some of you is media coverage, social media, and just everybody knowing each other's business.
Good post.

roadmaster
12-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Really? How many had to leave to take care of their sick grandmothers? One girl left town and we all knew she was pregnant. Another one got an abortion that was beat up and rapped by a much older guy. She didn't go to a back alley but a Drs. office. Some today get pregnant to get child support and live off it. It wasn't like that back then and the state didn't go after guys who didn't pay. Would these women today be doing this if they got no support except depending on their families.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:32 PM
One does not make out like a queen living and supporting a child on state/federal child support payments.I would think and do believe very few,if any,women intentionally have children to get government support.

roadmaster
12-29-2013, 10:37 PM
One does not make out like a queen living and supporting a child on state/federal child support payments.I would think and do believe very few,if any,women intentionally have children to get government support. Many do and will chase the NBA, NFL ect players. Did you know most of them are bankrupt not long after their career. Not only do they get child support but welfare, reduced section 8 housing, food stamps and the list goes on. They don't have to work.

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Many do and will chase the NBA, NFL ect players. Did you know most of them are bankrupt not long after their career. Not only do they get child support but welfare, reduced section 8 housing, food stamps and the list goes on. They don't have to work.

Really?So your response to my post is the above statement?

Even if it was true it would not involve that many people.The number of current and ex NBA ,NFL players is really small compared to the total population.

Did you mean to include the MLB and the NHL?

sotmfs
12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
What the hell is the MLB?
The Major League Baseball?What?You a foreigner? Drop the the!!

Max Rockatansky
12-30-2013, 07:14 AM
One does not make out like a queen living and supporting a child on state/federal child support payments.I would think and do believe very few,if any,women intentionally have children to get government support.

Agreed. The right wing meme of welfare queens driving luxury automobiles and carrying Gucci purses is dead. That all changed, for the better, in the 1990s:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/census-bureau-shocking-poverty-stats

Until 1997, welfare was an entitlement program that provided cash benefits to the most desperately poor people, primarily single mothers. Welfare spending expanded automatically when the economy got bad and more people needed help, without congressional intervention. The "reform" law turned welfare into a block grant, where states receive a fixed amount of money each year to provide benefits, regardless of the need. The idea was that the government should get women into the workforce rather than keeping them dependent on government handouts.

In the late 1990s, when unemployment was at a record low, conservatives declared the new law a huge success because millions of single mothers did indeed leave the welfare rolls. But the real test came when the economy went sour. Instead of serving as a critical part of the social safety net and a built-in stimulus program, the welfare, or TANF program (as it's now called), is doing virtually nothing to keep children out of poverty, as the new census data illustrates.

At $16 billion annually, the TANF block grant has remained unchanged since 1997, losing 30 percent of its value (http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:p403Uk9fGxYJ:www.npc.umich.edu/news/events/safetynet/tanf-spending-factsheet.pdf+tanf+block+grant+value&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjCCQuNt9pZz7WeDbBIyE3hOp8rYTxXZhVFZF_e r06IIMfnGypRFIyDT8GyJytwvQCSIpqrLMtT6b0Tx3jfuC_KkH VDkJKaPzQ8Cvi4sDDzCRdPNslRnFG16s-Bbq5UvKN7snXh&sig=AHIEtbSCVMqElFOerWqO8edgEj4UdPvMCA) thanks to inflation. The disappearance of cash benefits may be one factor in why the poverty rate for single moms—the people welfare reform was supposed to help—is up to 40 percent, from 38.5 percent in 2009.

While I'm sure Mother Jones paints the picture to be worse than it is, they do point out the facts of the situation.

While there may be some women stupid enough to have a baby simply to collect a check, after they find out the results, they'll still end up working since it doesn't pay enough to survive very well.

sotmfs
12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEK_gLghuFg