PDA

View Full Version : Hitchens Observed

Mister D
02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
I know he was a journalist not a philospher. Give me a break...

:rollseyes:

Interesting comments on the man.

Snip

My sister, Margaret, was in London on business. So I invited her to a restaurant party at which Christopher was another guest. One of the ways in which 1968 had changed life was that swearing, including the f-word, had become more acceptable socially. Christopher in full flight was employing it vigorously when Margaret suddenly said, “I really don’t think you should use language like that in the presence of ladies.” Christopher was not the only man at the table to look first surprised, then shame-faced. After the briefest of pauses, however, he apologized handsomely and with apparent sincerity. For the rest of the evening, he minded his manners very closely. I realized, only dimly at the time, that inside the revolutionary there was a traditionalist struggling to be let out.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/291480/hitchens-observed-john-o-sullivan

ritchie
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
LOL great story. She must have been one of the few people to ever shut that guy up. Kudos to her!

Mister D
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
My parents grew up in a time when it wasn't socially acceptable to cuss. I know the counter culture changed all that but I also read that the veterans of WW2 helped change that too.

ritchie
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Depends where but at dinner? No way I still dont it is appropriate

Mister D
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Depends where but at dinner? No way I still dont it is appropriate

It's still not acceptable at ceremonial and official occassions. Or at dinner depending I suppose on the family.

Conley
02-21-2012, 03:36 PM
In my house the Dad was allowed to swear. The kids? Fuck no. :grin:

Mister D
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
In my house the Dad was allowed to swear. The kids? Fuck no. :grin:

My father swore oncein a blue moon and it was never the f word. I think I heard him say a few GDs and he said "shit"a few times. I think I heard him say "shine" and the n word once each. He just didn't speak that way around the kids. My mom would have given him hell if he did anyway.

Conley
02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I curse occasionally but never (sometimes I might slip) any JC or GD.

Mister D
02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
I curse occasionally but never (sometimes I might slip) any JC or GD.

Same here. A GD slips out sometimes when I'm really pissed off but I feel bad about it afterward.

Peter1469
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
My mother had an uncle who was in Hemingway's circle of friends. That group was respectful when women were around; but they shooed the women out of the room and acted like guys.

MMC
02-21-2012, 05:28 PM
When I worked construction.....I couldnt even start a sentence without the use of profanity. Plus there be a few f-bombs and then profanity in the middle of the sentence and at the end. By the time I got a paragraph done one might remember what the point was. But then when when the kids were round for some reason I stopped. As soon as they were gone I was right back at it. I get angry with myself if I take the Lord's Name in Vane. Not because I feel guilty, but because I know I can control such.

My great uncle worked in an Ohio Steel Company. My Grams owned a bar. They all talked about how some young guy came into the bar was drinking and shooting the shit. But was like F this and F that. Finally my uncle couldnt stand it anymore and he went over to the guy and told him to watch his mouth that Ladies were present. Guess the guy Got out of pocket and my Unlce like Picked his ass up by his collar, and literally lifted him off the ground and threw him out the door of the bar. Guy left with no problems they said.

But they all use to tell the story like remembering when men acted like gentlemen in front of ladies and children. Not like from my Generation or todays.

Conley
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
:laugh: That's a great story about your unc. Guess he just had enough!

Mister D
02-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Cool story.

MMC
02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah plus they all were from that WWII generation. Things I remember as a kid. Like how those guys would open Doors for Women. Seat them at a table. Watch what they say in front of them. Especially if there were more than one Woman around. Lite a woman's Cigarette. Walk on the outside of a woman on the street side. Serve a woman before themselves even tho she gave him his plate first.

Course back then.....women acted like women. Ladies acted like ladies. Women were not like they are today.

Mister D
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
I tend to agree that women today are a little confused about what they want. Second Wave Feminism is largely to blame for that.

MMC
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes but look at how The Entertainment World Portrays them in Contrast to men today. Problem then is the little girl grows up believing that shit!

Mister D
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Yes but look at how The Entertainment World Portrays them in Contrast to men today. Problem then is the little girl grows up believing that shit!

That's part of it in many cases. Sure.