PDA

View Full Version : GOP’s 2014 horror strategy: Exploit Americans’ misfortune, drum up fake outrage

Cigar
01-02-2014, 10:51 AM
http://media.salon.com/2013/03/paul_graham_mccain-620x412.jpg

Prepare for them to search high and low for people disappointed with Obamacare -- then pretend to share their pain :laugh:

A quick look at the House and Senate vote calendars indicates that Congress did not in fact come back into session over the holidays to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which means that as of today (depending on how you count it) millions and millions of people who were previously uninsured now have comprehensive healthcare coverage.

There’s the 3-or-so million young adults under 26 who have been covered under their parents plans for a couple of years now, about 4 million new Medicaid beneficiaries, and some large percentage of the 2 million who have enrolled in a private plan via Healthcare.gov or one of 14 state-based insurance exchanges and submitted their first premium payment.

Their benefits are now active, which means proponents of repealing the law have a severe entropy problem on their hands. Just like you can’t re-create an erased image by unshaking an Etch-A-Sketch, you can no longer re-create the pre-Obamacare status quo by repealing the law. Some new beneficiaries would be returned to the ranks of the uninsured, just as they were before, but others would return to an individual market they were happy to leave behind, and even the thin skim of people who were happy with plans that have been canceled wouldn’t necessarily be able to reclaim them.

After spending three months effusing sympathy for people who’ve had their insurance plans canceled, Republicans can’t really continue to support repeal while ignoring the (2 million? 6 million? 9 million?) who would lose their coverage as a result. But the GOP lacks a consensus replacement for Obamacare, and the plans that caucuses within the party do support don’t do anything for the new beneficiaries, and fall well short of Obamacare’s coverage expansion in the long run.

full article
http://www.salon.com/2014/01/02/gops_2014_horror_strategy_exploit_americans_misfor tune_drum_up_fake_outrage/

patrickt
01-02-2014, 12:51 PM
You say misfortunes as if they're an act of god and not an Act of Liberals.

Mini Me
01-02-2014, 02:35 PM
I suggest folks read the whole article. It was also on HuffPo today.

Guaranteed to rankle the cons little black hearts!

Mr. Freeze
01-02-2014, 02:39 PM
I suggest folks read the whole article. It was also on HuffPo today.

Guaranteed to rankle the cons little black hearts!

Its an opinion piece written by people who don't like conservatives. It will not rankle the "cons", but it will make "libs" feel more smug for doing nothing of substance but beat the drums of partisan war.

The ACA is a gift to the insurance industry. They have captive customers. To disregard it shows only willful ignorance. National health care looks like what they have in the UK or Canada, not the ACA.

jillian
01-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Its an opinion piece written by people who don't like conservatives. It will not rankle the "cons", but it will make "libs" feel more smug for doing nothing of substance but beat the drums of partisan war.

The ACA is a gift to the insurance industry. They have captive customers. To disregard it shows only willful ignorance. National health care looks like what they have in the UK or Canada, not the ACA.

or maybe it states truths that you should read.

the ACA was always supposed to be an adaptation of the heritage foundation plan because the intent was to get bi-partisan support.

which is why it's so funny that the right has been in meltdown since it's passage.

Mr. Freeze
01-02-2014, 02:47 PM

I am not in the habit of commenting on things I don't read. I read it and found nothing but the usual recycled, hyperbolic nonsense.

the ACA was always supposed to be an adaptation of the heritage foundation plan because the intent was to get bi-partisan support.

Correct, which was always intended to be a giveaway to insurance companies.

which is why it's so funny that the right has been in meltdown since it's passage.

I think that many on the right pretend to meltdown. It was funny watching Romney and Gingrich argue over who was less of a supporter of the Heritage plan. Well, not funny, but you know what I mean.

jillian
01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
I am not in the habit of commenting on things I don't read. I read it and found nothing but the usual recycled, hyperbolic nonsense.

perhaps it's that it's a response to the hyperbole on the other side? just sayin

Correct, which was always intended to be a giveaway to insurance companies.

well, it wouldn't have been my first choice of a plan. i think it's flawed and if there were any type of desire on the right to act in good faith, then over time, it would be refined.

I think that many on the right pretend to meltdown. It was funny watching Romney and Gingrich argue over who was less of a supporter of the Heritage plan. Well, not funny, but you know what I mean.

yeah, i do know what you mean.

Mr. Freeze
01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
perhaps it's that it's a response to the hyperbole on the other side? just sayin

I think even tho there is hypocrisy out of some Republicans (neocons) over this plan, in general they are right on and the screaming is justified. It's horrible. An expansion of Medicaid would have done the exact same thing for the poor without rewarding the people who screwed up the system to begin with or punish healthy people.

Maybe--and I say this with all doubt--the supermajority couldn't have pushed through single payer because there weren't enough Democrats to do it--maybe--no, they could have passed single payer. What am I saying?

They didn't pass single payer because they knew they would lose the majority in the Congress, so they settled on a plan that was weaseled into their laps by lobbyists. That is lacking in character, no matter what anyone says.

It is a horrible plan that will backfire and set back the will to move to single payer. When you fail at something people don't trust you to fix it. The Democrats should take heed.

well, it wouldn't have been my first choice of a plan. i think it's flawed and if there were any type of desire on the right to act in good faith, then over time, it would be refined.

Why should the right act in good faith when the Democrats showed none? Human nature is petty. We know this. Even now Democrats are admitting that they should never have done that to begin with; Democrats who need to be re-elected are saying this. That's a clear sign that the realize they fucked up.

Good faith involves self-sacrifice and compromise from the beginning. It is not saying, I'm going to do what I want to do! Oh, I fucked up? Help me, come on, help me fix this!

yeah, i do know what you mean.

I met Mitt Romney through business contacts years ago. He's very polite but I do wonder if he didn't have help along the way because he comes off as a flake, IMO.

Mini Me
01-02-2014, 04:11 PM

100% agreed!

But it is fun to poke sticks into the beasts cages, you know. We all like that!

Codename Section
01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
100% agreed!

But it is fun to poke sticks into the beasts cages, you know. We all like that!

Not really. I like to be productive and not drag the people who live in this country down the path to starvation and food riots.

The Xl
01-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Just going to show, yet again, that the left and the right are the same.

Why would liberals pass a Republican plan, or a pseudo Republican plan if that weren't the case?

Peter1469
01-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Prepare for them to search high and low for people disappointed with Obamacare -- then pretend to share their pain :laugh:

/ (http://www.salon.com/2014/01/02/gops_2014_horror_strategy_exploit_americans_misfor tune_drum_up_fake_outrage/)

Elections have consequences, the GOP should just stay quiet. Let Obamacare speak for itself.

Mainecoons
01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
As it most sure will. Why do you think Obama is changing the law by Executive Order? Because it works as written?

LOL

zelmo1234
01-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I still think that it is funny that the OP thinks you have to look high and low for people that are negatively effected by the ACA