PDA

View Full Version : The Taliban’s Mob Rules

Mister D
02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Makes a good case...

Reports from Monday’s New York Times of the Pakistani Taliban (Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan) stepping up its ransom-kidnapping campaign are a reminder of one of the reasons we have failed to achieve our objectives in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and will continue to do so: Most of us believe that we are at war with a paramilitary outfit mainly inspired by a fundamentalist Deobandi interpretation of Islam. We are in fact engaged with a very different kind of entity: an organized-crime syndicate acting out of interests that are largely economic, rather than religious or ideological.There are, to be sure, terrorist and paramilitary organizations inspired by a sincere commitment to Islam. Al-Qaeda is one. The senior leadership of the Taliban, on the other hand, bears at least as much resemblance to the old Sicilian Mafia — or to the present-day FARC, another misunderstood organization — as it does to martyrdom-minded jihadists in the mold of Osama bin Laden.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/291512/taliban-s-mob-rules-kevin-d-williamson

Alias
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I think the Sicilian mafia threated their women much better than the Taliban do.

Mister D
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I think the Sicilian mafia threated their women much better than the Taliban do.

So do I. The author makes a good point about the basis of the Taliban's power.

MMC
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incrimanate me. :wink:

Alias
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Islam was written by a gangster thug who used religion to further his purpose and Islam is still being used by gangsters to further their purpose. Nothing new under the sun.

Mister D
02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incrimanate me. :wink:

:grin: No worries, paisan.

MMC
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Islam was written by a gangster thug who used religion to further his purpose and Islam is still being used by gangsters to further their purpose. Nothing new under the sun.

You are Correct Alias.....the alleged Holy Man and the Only One from that Time who gave up all those so called spiritual teachings he learned from Zorastrianism, gave up his quest to become a buisnessman in which he then was conducting those slim-shady buisness practices. Which he then was killed for.