PDA

View Full Version : Obama Pushing for More Benefits for the Middle Class

Conley
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
President Barack Obama on Tuesday praised Congress' decision to extend the payroll tax cut while also pushing legislators to enact the rest of what the administration characterizes as its economic support plan for the middle class.

The president declared he is prepared to move ahead with his domestic agenda whenever possible with or without congressional support -- a message with clear political overtones in the current election season.

"For a typical middle class family, (the payroll tax cut) is a big deal," Obama said. "Now my message to Congress is don't stop here. Keep going. ... This may be an election year, but the American people have no patience for gridlock (and) reflexive partisanship."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/21/election/2012/obama-payroll-tax/index.html

Keep going with what? The tax cuts? The spending? In one breath he says he wants bipartisanship but in the other he says he's going ahead with his domestic agenda with or without Congress.

MMC
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Obama outlined a number of proposals believed to have little or no chance of winning approval among Republicans on Capitol Hill, most notably the so-called "Buffett Rule" designed to ensure people earning more than $1 million annually pay at least a 30% tax rate.
"Wherever we have an opportunity, we're going to take steps on our own," the president said. "We've got a choice right now. We can either settle for a country where a few people are doing very well and everybody else is having to just struggle to get by, or we can build an economy where everybody gets a fair shot and everybody's doing their fair share and everybody is taking responsibility.".....snip~

:rollseyes: When will someone take it to these Liberals about that class Warfare and that Utopian Society. Everybody already has that fair shot. It's on them to either answer the call.....or Don't!

Peter1469
02-21-2012, 06:43 PM
So who is going to fund social security?

Conley
02-21-2012, 06:52 PM

The middle class, until its desiccated husk of a corpse doesn't have anything left.

Elibe
02-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Obama outlined a number of proposals believed to have little or no chance of winning approval among Republicans on Capitol Hill, most notably the so-called "Buffett Rule" designed to ensure people earning more than $1 million annually pay at least a 30% tax rate.
"Wherever we have an opportunity, we're going to take steps on our own," the president said. "We've got a choice right now. We can either settle for a country where a few people are doing very well and everybody else is having to just struggle to get by, or we can build an economy where everybody gets a fair shot and everybody's doing their fair share and everybody is taking responsibility.".....snip~

:rollseyes: When will someone take it to these Liberals about that class Warfare and that Utopian Society. Everybody already has that fair shot. It's on them to either answer the call.....or Don't!

you think everyone has a fair shot?

MMC
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
you think everyone has a fair shot?

Other than those in the margin of what is not the norm.....yes! Just because one comes from a poor family doesnt mean he will be poor now. Does it? Just because one comes from a family of wealth. Doesnt mean he will be rich and wealthy, either.

But do they each have the equal availability of oppourtunity.....the answer is Yes!

MMC
02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
I would ask him who he means by We're going to take Steps on Our own.....and just how many are up in that attic with Sybil? :grin:

Elibe
02-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Other than those in the margin of what is not the norm.....yes! Just because one comes from a poor family doesnt mean he will be poor now. Does it? Just because one comes from a family of wealth. Doesnt mean he will be rich and wealthy, either.

But do they each have the equal availability of oppourtunity.....the answer is Yes!

no if you are born poor you are more likely to die poor same goes for wealthy

and opportunities are different too, ex: the schools in the ghetto are worse than in rich areas

MMC
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM

and opportunities are different too, ex: the schools in the ghetto are worse than in rich areas

Thats ridiculous.....and that example doesnt change the fact. That each has the equal availability of oppourtunity for themselves. The Move is on them or not to move. For I have an example for you in-return.

Ex: Plenty of Drug Dealers come from poor backgrounds but many end up rich or have what they want when they are taken down or killed. Moreover in this day and age you have those that are rich and then lose that wealth. Children of the wealthy that squander what was set up for them. Only to lose it all!

Mister D
02-21-2012, 07:30 PM

If you don't even try to compensate for the disadvantages of birth that is the likely outcome. Sure. Life isn't fair. You don't seriously mean to tell me that poor but otherwise industrious and intelligent Americans are doomed to a life of poverty are you?

Mister D
02-21-2012, 07:30 PM

The neocons are hoping high school dropouts from Mexico will pick up the tab.

Elibe
02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Thats ridiculous.....and that example doesnt change the fact. That each has the equal availability of oppourtunity for themselves. The Move is on them or not to move. For I have an example for you in-return.

Ex: Plenty of Drug Dealers come from poor backgrounds but many end up rich or have what they want when they are taken down or killed. Moreover in this day and age you have those that are rich and then lose that wealth. Children of the wealthy that squander what was set up for them. Only to lose it all!

you are talking about rich dope peddlers but saying my ex is ridiculous

i am not saying all rich die rich and all poor die poor but people born rich have it easier that is a fact

Elibe
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
If you don't even try to compensate for the disadvantages of birth that is the likely outcome. Sure. Life isn't fair. You don't seriously mean to tell me that poor but otherwise industrious and intelligent Americans are doomed to a life of poverty are you?

at least you agree it is harder for some

yes even with hard work some will not make it, all we can do is try and do our best

Peter1469
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM

Peter1469
02-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Do the students in the poor schools, on average, love their studies and try to learn everything possible?

Peter1469
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
The neocons are hoping high school dropouts from Mexico will pick up the tab.

Yes, I always suspected the intelligence of the Neocons...

MMC
02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
you are talking about rich dope peddlers but saying my ex is ridiculous

i am not saying all rich die rich and all poor die poor but people born rich have it easier that is a fact

They may have it easier.....but like you said each can try and do the the best they can. Sure some will not make it. Might have to struggle all their life. But that doesn't mean their life wasn't meaningful. Also doesn't mean they are poor other than on an econmic chart. As most do end up with more than what they had. material wise.

Mister D
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
at least you agree it is harder for some

yes even with hard work some will not make it, all we can do is try and do our best

Of course it is. It was harder for me then it was for rich kids but that's the way life is. I don't begrudge them or society.

But we can also take responsibility for our successes and failures in life rather than ascribing them to unseen social forces.

wingrider
02-22-2012, 12:51 AM

the same people who are funding it now.. everbody that has a job.. now the trick here is to keep congress from stealing the money and squadering it on other pet projects.

MMC
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Fairness! :laugh:

Conley
02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Fairness! :laugh:

Ha! Good one...What a useless word.

Peter1469
02-22-2012, 04:16 PM
the same people who are funding it now.. everbody that has a job.. now the trick here is to keep congress from stealing the money and squadering it on other pet projects.

People fund SS with the payroll tax...

wingrider
02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
People fund SS with the payroll tax...

wait ... clarify that for me.. payroll tax and taxes for social security are two different items,, would you like to tell me what you mean by " payroll tax"?