PDA

View Full Version : Supervolcanoes, a bigger threat than thought

Peter1469
01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
The potential to wipe out civilization as we know it: (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/risk-of-supervolcano-eruption-big-enough-to-affect-the-world-far-greater-than-thought-say-scientists-9040073.html)

Supervolcanoes represent the second most globally cataclysmic event – next to an asteroid strike – and they have been responsible in the past for mass extinctions, long-term changes to the climate and shorter-term “volcanic winters” caused by volcanic ash cutting out the sunlight.

And we have one of our own at Yellowstone National Park (http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm)! Check out the webcams- you might get to witness the beginning of the end, as we know it.

The Wash
01-06-2014, 05:24 PM
This is yet another reason why we need to quit pumping out hipsters and get back to men being men because some shit like this goes down it aint going to be that dude in the skinny jeans who survives.

GrassrootsConservative
01-06-2014, 05:26 PM
If there are earthquakes in that area people need to be notified. Part of the reason why Mount St. Helens killed so many is because people didn't heed the warnings. Really what we ought to do is figure out what routes out of cities would be best to evacuate the vicinity. I'm in Nebraska, and you can be damn sure that if I hear of anything I will be the first to head east and across the great Mississippi. I would think that far would be out of range, at least of the initial blast. As for the ash and other long-term effects, I'm not sure. If it happens during a cold snap like this I wouldn't be surprised if several million people died from the extreme cold and lack of sunlight. Maybe evacuating south would be a better idea? Do we know what way the lava flow would go from that spot?

The Wash
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
If there are earthquakes in that area people need to be notified. Part of the reason why Mount St. Helens killed so many is because people didn't heed the warnings. Really what we ought to do is figure out what routes out of cities would be best to evacuate the vicinity. I'm in Nebraska, and you can be damn sure that if I hear of anything I will be the first to head east and across the great Mississippi. I would think that far would be out of range, at least of the initial blast. As for the ash and other long-term effects, I'm not sure. If it happens during a cold snap like this I wouldn't be surprised if several million people died from the extreme cold and lack of sunlight. Maybe evacuating south would be a better idea? Do we know what way the lava flow would go from that spot?

Read the article. Those types of volcanoes don't come with earthquake triggers and the last time it blew it took half the country with it.

I'll be safe on the East Coast until the "winter".

Yet another reason for me to double down.

undine
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
This is yet another reason why we need to quit pumping out hipsters and get back to men being men because some shit like this goes down it aint going to be that dude in the skinny jeans who survives.

If one of these super volcanoes erupts your fashion sense isn't going to save you.

Heyduke
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Ahh, yes. There was a time when men were men and women were women and a guy could tell the difference.

That's the reason why effeminate skinny-jean wearing men only appear on the scene in an age of great security and decadence, or just amongst the royalty like in pre-Revolutionary France.

anyways, maybe a super-volcano eruption wouldn't be the worst thing for the human race. The survivors could go back to living in the wild. As it is, where we're headed, we'll end up with 15 billion half-human half-machine cyborgs all hooked up to the Borg.

Peter1469
01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
I would imagine lava would be a local concern.

Mr. Freeze
01-06-2014, 05:58 PM
If one of these super volcanoes erupts your fashion sense isn't going to save you.

I have to ask you undine, before I do this unique and unusual occurrence called "staying on topic", do you ever want to, I don't know, do the same? It appears that your sole purpose for posting on this forum to be an annoyance to everyone.

Back to surviving a super volcano...

There are two super volcanoes that have historically caused mass death. There is one in western Africa that if it were to blow, the eastern seaboard would be destroyed for 100 miles inland, and the Yellowstone caldera which blew rock all the way to modern Ohio.

Surviving it would take building concrete dome houses, extreme gardening, and other survivalist measures that most do not possess the finances to even consider. It will be Nature deselecting the weak in favor of the strong, once again, so in spite of his poorly worded hipster statement he is correct. Only the strong will survive.

Cthulhu
01-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I would imagine lava would be a local concern.

I imagine the pyroclastic cloud would be of greater concern, and the lingering ash which would clog every air filter known to man thus completely nullifying our ability to use modern mechanization to assist in relief efforts. At least immediately that is.

But that is for regular volcanic detonations, supervolcanoes? Dude. Enjoy life if you live near one, because it could blow today, tomorrow, or a thousand years from now.

I know I won't live in fear of things I simply cannot control let alone influence in the slightest. But if you really wanted to survive something like this? Two options I can see. 1 is living on a nuke powered submarine that just got resupplied and retrofitted as the "Ark", or 2. Mr. Freeze plan on dome housing and Uber gardening. No run of the mill walipini will weather something of this magnitude.

Mr. Freeze
01-06-2014, 06:24 PM
I mean something like this:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_hero/public/media/12302013_DomeHome.jpg?itok=cDRfiuMK

With an earthship greenhouse. Concrete is an excellent insulator.

The Wash
01-06-2014, 06:31 PM

No, my military honed survival skills will, but hey thanks for caring.

Peter1469
01-06-2014, 07:08 PM
I mean something like this:

With an earthship greenhouse. Concrete is an excellent insulator.

What is the square footage of the living space in that thing?

lynn
01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
If the one at Yellow Stone erupts it will be the end for the U.S.

Mr. Freeze
01-06-2014, 08:16 PM

My geology professor said that the periodicity on this particular caldera is "now". It could be tomorrow or 2,000 years from now.

undine
01-07-2014, 05:45 AM
I have to ask you @undine (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=980), before I do this unique and unusual occurrence called "staying on topic", do you ever want to, I don't know, do the same? It appears that your sole purpose for posting on this forum to be an annoyance to everyone.

Back to surviving a super volcano...

There are two super volcanoes that have historically caused mass death. There is one in western Africa that if it were to blow, the eastern seaboard would be destroyed for 100 miles inland, and the Yellowstone caldera which blew rock all the way to modern Ohio.

Surviving it would take building concrete dome houses, extreme gardening, and other survivalist measures that most do not possess the finances to even consider. It will be Nature deselecting the weak in favor of the strong, once again, so in spite of his poorly worded hipster statement he is correct. Only the strong will survive.
In my opinion, a supervolcano will kill equally. If you think hipsters will be targeted in particular, you are being silly.

I am sorry if my opinion offends.

undine
01-07-2014, 05:45 AM
Thank you. My point exactly.

Peter1469
01-07-2014, 06:16 AM
In my opinion, a supervolcano will kill equally. If you think hipsters will be targeted in particular, you are being silly.

I am sorry if my opinion offends.

I think they are referring to the people not in the immediate kill zone, but rather the people who have to deal with the ash induced decade (or longer) winter than can cause temps to drop ~10c.

Polecat
01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Nature has pushed the reset button many times throughout the years. Personally I would hope to be one that never knew what hit him.

undine
01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
I think they are referring to the people not in the immediate kill zone, but rather the people who have to deal with the ash induced decade (or longer) winter than can cause temps to drop ~10c.
In that case the poor will do the best, in my opinion, as they are better at surviving on the edge than anyone else.

Peter1469
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
In that case the poor will do the best, in my opinion, as they are better at surviving on the edge than anyone else.

The urban poor would likely be at a disadvantage.