PDA

View Full Version : White supremacy wins again: Melissa Harris Perry and the racial false equivalence

Cigar
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
http://media.salon.com/2014/01/melissa_harris_perry-620x412.jpg

What costs white folks a slap on the wrist, or a mildly disapproving look, costs black people our dignity

On Sunday, Mitt Romney graciously accepted Melissa Harris-Perry’s apology for making his African-American grandson, Kieran, the butt of jokes during a segment on the last episode of her show in December. To the extent that MHP violated a long-standing rule of political journalism, namely that children are off-limits, I understand why she felt compelled to make an apology. And she offered a genuine and sincere model of how it should be done, a lesson that far more people on the right need to learn.

Still, in my view, MHP took the high road in a situation where she became an unfair target, left at the mercy of the right’s utter dishonesty on questions of race. The GOP is notoriously averse at the policy level to the social and political condition of African-Americans, and this has been demonstrated in everything from attempts to disenfranchise black voters to the wholesale turn to obstructionism as a primary governing strategy. No, Mitt Romney’s black grandson is not responsible for his grandfather’s dubious political views. But he will most certainly be raised in a family where at least one of his uncles once quipped about punching the president in the face. In other words, he will grow to be a black man not only in a politically conservative family with “interesting” views on race, but also in a family that believes in a religion that openly discriminated against Blacks until the 1970s.

Since race still matters, these observations matter, too. And though it is not polite to express this kind of ambivalence about transracial adoption, you can best believe that a whole lot of black folks saw the picture and shook their heads. For good or ill, we care about the lives and livelihoods of little black boys. And we wonder what kind of man Kieran will grow up to be. We know that the lie we are being asked to believe is that the Romneys, despite their politics and religious affiliations, have transcended race so much that Kieran’s blackness is just an accident of birth.

Melissa and, by proxy, all of us who looked twice at the photo are being called into question because we refuse to follow the script of colorblindness and racial transcendence. We insist on asking what it means to be a black kid in a white family.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/07/white_supremacy_wins_again_melissa_harris_perry_an d_the_racial_false_equivalence/

... MHP is still on the Job Saturday's and Sunday's on MSNBC

Mister D
01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/MW94/somewhere-out-there-theres-black-people-crying/image.png

texan
01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
RACE ONLY MATTERS TO RACE PIMPS, the real racists are the people that throw the card around like its pie on Thanksgiving. It diminishes the people that have real complaints. The most recent Race Pimp were those showing up at the Mexicans house name George Zimmerman, remember when George was white until they found out he wasn't? LOL at those money whores that make everything about race.

BTW I saw her boo whooooooo apology. What is it with liberal MSNBC Hosts? We have one apologizing for name calling or being fired every week? Can't make an argument MSNBC? Huh? Didn't think so.

Cigar
01-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Somewhere Out Their - Racist are Losing Ground and becoming Extinct :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t6pzPp1Q2ew

Please Proceed Governor :grin:

Captain Obvious
01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing progressives hoisting their petards.

Cigar
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing progressives hoisting their petards.

Prepared to be satisfied for 36 months :laugh:

Captain Obvious
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Prepared to be satisfied for 36 months :laugh:

lol - hey, look up. That's the meaning sailing over your head.

Mainecoons
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
These race pimps and liberal idiots at MSNBC hoist themselves so often they should motorize it so they won't wear themselves out turning the hoist crank by hand.

:rofl:

Mister D
01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Cigar, you need some new lines. That's what...the 4th time you've used that in 36 hours? :laugh:

Mainecoons
01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I hope he has a macro set up for it so he doesn't have to keep retyping it. :rofl:

Cigar
01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
These race pimps and liberal idiots at MSNBC hoist themselves so often they should motorize it so they won't wear themselves out turning the hoist crank by hand.

:rofl:

... and there's nothing you can do about it :laugh:

Cigar
01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I hope he has a macro set up for it so he doesn't have to keep retyping it. :rofl:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fb/fbc42226fba1d60debebc5d7bbec5ab34ed9c1ea54343367fb 7dcf308e0f5606.jpg

Cigar
01-07-2014, 11:56 AM
STFU ... I'm getting ready to talk and beat down the ReTugs

The Xl
01-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Somewhere Out Their - Racist are Losing Ground and becoming Extinct :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t6pzPp1Q2ew

Please Proceed Governor :grin:

How can you assert that anyone is racist when you openly cheer the shrinking of a particular group?

Cigar
01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
How can you assert that anyone is racist when you openly cheer the shrinking of a particular group?

It's not my fault your White Women are not giving you any.

Maybe you should do some stretching exercises and work on your Rap. :grin:

The Xl
01-07-2014, 12:19 PM

What does this have to do with anything? Jesus, you're the king of irrelevant strawmen.

And for the record, I was engaged to a Hispanic woman, and have never dated a white woman before, so.....your comment is even dumber than it usually would be.

keymanjim
01-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Let me see if I have this correct. It was racist to make her apologize for what she said about Romney's grandson?

Captain Obvious
01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Let me see if I have this correct. It was racist to make her apologize for what she said about Romney's grandson?

Some people just don't understand progress

Captain Obvious
01-07-2014, 12:29 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002409501/338735829_tolerant_liberals_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

GrassrootsConservative
01-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Lmao so now we're racist for blacks apologizing to other blacks?

The Xl
01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
If a white dude on Fox said this shit, the backlash would be ridiculous. Yet, this is an example of white supremacy?

Yea, ok.

donttread
01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
[I think racism is overblown. does it exist ? Yes? Does it exist in all directions and not just one ? Yes. But for lord's sake we just reelected a half black president after he set debt and spending records and followed through on little of what he promised ( same as Bush before him).
Overall how racist can we really be?

QUOTE=Cigar;481985]http://media.salon.com/2014/01/melissa_harris_perry-620x412.jpg

What costs white folks a slap on the wrist, or a mildly disapproving look, costs black people our dignity

On Sunday, Mitt Romney graciously accepted Melissa Harris-Perry’s apology for making his African-American grandson, Kieran, the butt of jokes during a segment on the last episode of her show in December. To the extent that MHP violated a long-standing rule of political journalism, namely that children are off-limits, I understand why she felt compelled to make an apology. And she offered a genuine and sincere model of how it should be done, a lesson that far more people on the right need to learn.

Still, in my view, MHP took the high road in a situation where she became an unfair target, left at the mercy of the right’s utter dishonesty on questions of race. The GOP is notoriously averse at the policy level to the social and political condition of African-Americans, and this has been demonstrated in everything from attempts to disenfranchise black voters to the wholesale turn to obstructionism as a primary governing strategy. No, Mitt Romney’s black grandson is not responsible for his grandfather’s dubious political views. But he will most certainly be raised in a family where at least one of his uncles once quipped about punching the president in the face. In other words, he will grow to be a black man not only in a politically conservative family with “interesting” views on race, but also in a family that believes in a religion that openly discriminated against Blacks until the 1970s.

Since race still matters, these observations matter, too. And though it is not polite to express this kind of ambivalence about transracial adoption, you can best believe that a whole lot of black folks saw the picture and shook their heads. For good or ill, we care about the lives and livelihoods of little black boys. And we wonder what kind of man Kieran will grow up to be. We know that the lie we are being asked to believe is that the Romneys, despite their politics and religious affiliations, have transcended race so much that Kieran’s blackness is just an accident of birth.

Melissa and, by proxy, all of us who looked twice at the photo are being called into question because we refuse to follow the script of colorblindness and racial transcendence. We insist on asking what it means to be a black kid in a white family.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/07/white_supremacy_wins_again_melissa_harris_perry_an d_the_racial_false_equivalence/

... MHP is still on the Job Saturday's and Sunday's on MSNBC[/QUOTE]

zelmo1234
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Cigar, you need some new lines. That's what...the 4th time you've used that in 36 hours? :laugh:

His handlers might only be allowing him to us that line! It is not like he is original?

zelmo1234
01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fb/fbc42226fba1d60debebc5d7bbec5ab34ed9c1ea54343367fb 7dcf308e0f5606.jpg

Yes he is my President! He also happens to be a total failure! But he is still the President!

As far a STFU, we there is a Constitution that give us the right to address grievances.

zelmo1234
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

It is not that our white women are not giving us any it is just that your wife is so needy that we dont' have time!

Cigar
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Democrats have rounded on revelations about a private dinner of House Republicans on inauguration day in 2009 in which they plotted a campaign of obstruction against newly installed president Barack Obama.

During a lengthy discussion, the senior GOP members worked out a plan to repeatedly block Obama over the coming four years to try to ensure he would not be re-elected.

The disclosures – described as "appalling and sad" by Obama's chief strategist David Axelrod – undermine Republican claims that the president alone is to blame for the partisan deadlock in Washington.

A detailed account of who was present at the dinner on that January 20 night and the plan they worked out to bring down Obama is provided by Robert Draper in 'Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the US House of Representatives', published this week.

In his book, Draper opens with the heady atmosphere in Washington on the days running up to the inauguration and the day itself, which attracted 1.8 million to the mall to witness Obama being sworn in as America's first black president.

Those numbers contributed to a growing sense of unease among Republicans as much the defeat in the White House race the previous November. The 15 Republicans were in a sombre mood as they gathered at the Caucus Room in Washington, an upscale restaurant where a New York strip steak costs $51.

Attending the dinner were House members Eric Cantor, Jeb Hensarling, Pete Hoekstra, Dan Lungren, Kevin McCarthy, Paul Ryan and Pete Sessions. From the Senate were Tom Coburn, Bob Corker, Jim DeMint, John Ensign and Jon Kyl. Others present were former House Speaker and future – and failed – presidential candidate Newt Gingrich and the Republican strategist Frank Luntz, who organised the dinner and sent out the invitations.

The dinner table was set in a square at Luntz's request so everyone could see one another and talk freely. The session lasted four hours and by the end the sombre mood had lifted: they had conceived a plan. They would take back the House in November 2010, which they did, and use it as a spear to mortally wound Obama in 2011 and take back the Senate and White House in 2012, Draper writes.

"If you act like you're the minority, you're going to stay in the minority," said Keven McCarthy, quoted by Draper. "We've gotta challenge them on every single bill and challenge them on every single campaign."

The Republicans have done that, bringing Washington to a near standstill several times during Obama's first term over debt and other issues.

What a surprise (not)! Next time any of our righties tries to say they weren't the "Party of No"--or maybe they won't, given the facts are out, maybe they'll just defend the planned obstructionism. I remember how long I resisted believing this was their plan. But these revelations are the first time we have actual evidence for the American people to see that the GOP has put country last and party first, and tried to grind the entire country to a halt (which they did). Keep in mind this night was during a month where 800,000 jobs were lost and the economy was about to go off a cliff. They were plotting from the very beginning, literally, on how to make sure that Obama would not succeed in making things better for Americans - not because they disagreed with him - but because they wanted power. After these revelations I don't see how people can, in good conscience, support this party. But of course, they will.

Remind those who are nervous about debt that Bush started with a $128 billion SURPLUS & ended with a $1.4 trillion DEFICIT. Obama was handed that kind of spending right during the worst GLOBAL economic collapse in 100 years.

* $600 billion in deficit reduction since Bush's last budget.
* Lowest spending increases since Eisenhower.
* 38 months of private sector job growth, including small businesses.
* Record corporate profits & Wall Street values.
* More millionaires and billionaires every year.
* Lowest real tax rates on the rich since 1928.
* 21 new tax cuts for middle-class families.
* 18 new tax cuts for small businesses.
* First growth in manufacturing sectors in 30 years.
* Americans #1 in worker productivity.
* Household debt reduced by half-a-trillion.
* Gas prices peaked at $4.12 under Bush.

And:
* Obama has proposed $4 trillion in additional debt reduction, but the GOP have blocked him.
* Republicans partisanship in Congress is the primary reason for the downgrade of USA's credit rating.
* Romney has said military spending is off-limits for cutting ($683.7 billion in 2010)

But there's a 7.8% unemployment rate still, right? That's in large part due to the 700,000 government jobs that have been cut, including States cutting 230,000 teachers and 130,000 police/emergency responders.

* 7.5 million jobs were lost in 2008 and 2009. Expecting a quick recovery of equal magnitude is irrational.
* Without exception, historically, Democratic presidents have created jobs at a faster rate than Republicans (2m/y vs 1m/y).
* 2.8 million jobs have been added in the last 18 months.
* We're in a recovery, thanks to Obama.

For the first two years of the Obama Administration, Progressives took a lot of ground. There was:

Health Care for All Americans
Wall Street Reform
Avoiding another Great Depression
Saving a million jobs in the American auto industry
Expanding Medicaid
Eliminating Don't Ask Don't Tell
Marriage Equality
Expanding Children's Health
Environmental Reform
Expanding Labor Rights
Expanding Civil Liberties
Equal Pay for Equal Work
Killed OBL
Ended the Iraq War

You always scream the loudest with your last gasp. :laugh:

Cigar
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Yes he is my President! He also happens to be a total failure! But he is still the President!

As far a STFU, we there is a Constitution that give us the right to address grievances.

That's how I know he's doing a Good Job ... on YOU :laugh:

Cigar
01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
It is not that our white women are not giving us any it is just that your wife is so needy that we dont' have time!

I always have time for yours :laugh: ... watch out for the wet spot :grin: it's not from you.

zelmo1234
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
That's how I know he's doing a Good Job ... on YOU :laugh:

He has very little effect on me. I have sheltered the money that he was going to try and confiscate. I have joined a private health Co-op that give me access to care that others will only dream of having. I am not going to participate in Obamcare and the fine will be small because my US profits are very small!

That darn overseas home office just charges the hell out of us for every little thing :)

You want to see the people that he is effecting??? Look at the people that were standing behind him today that have been looking for a job for 2 years and can't find one! He wants to give them a guarantee of poverty by extending there handout a little while longer,

When it is his policies and actions that have caused the economy that has no jobs! those are the people that are screwed! those are the people that are suffering because of Obama

pragmatic
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
The "Romney segment" on the Melissa Harris Perry show was rather clumsy and a little rude. But genuinely didn't see anything racist about it. And will say the same thing about the comments by the duck guy Roberts. Nothing racist in those comments either.

The term (racist) has been so overused and abused it has become cartoonish.

There should be a rule. Whenever someone decides to slap down the "race card" they have to include a dictionary definition of the word racist at the bottom of their rant. Which will give everyone a chance to revisit each time what the word/term actually means.

zelmo1234
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I always have time for yours :laugh: ... watch out for the wet spot :grin: it's not from you.

She did say that you were finished before you started. Try to hold out a little longer next time, She can go for hours!!! :)

Cigar
01-07-2014, 03:40 PM
The "Romney segment" on the Melissa Harris Perry show was rather clumsy and a little rude. But genuinely didn't see anything racist about it. And will say the same thing about the comments by the duck guy Roberts. Nothing racist in those comments either.

The term (racist) has been so overused and abused it has become cartoonish.

There should be a rule. Whenever someone decides to slap down the "race card" they have to include a dictionary definition of the word racist at the bottom of their rant. Which will give everyone a chance to revisit each time what the word/term actually means.

The next time someone says Blacks where Happy during Jim Crow; they need to show one ... anyone ... someone ... :laugh:

Cigar
01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
She did say that you were finished before you started. Try to hold out a little longer next time, She can go for hours!!! :)

Look ... the line is long ... if she wants to move up from 20, she'll need to be on time. :laugh:

... Oh I can play the Dozens ... and I'm just getting started

Mister D
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
The next time someone says Blacks where Happy during Jim Crow; they need to show one ... anyone ... someone ... :laugh:

You don't think there were any happy black people until..what 2008? :laugh:

pragmatic
01-07-2014, 04:00 PM

He was citing his own personal experiences working side by side in the fields with those blacks.

You provide a great illustration here of the reason discourse can be challenging. Some are determined to distort/manufacture simply for the goal of feigned outrage.

Sort of sad and pathetic actually....

patrickt
01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
I love it when Cigar whines that calling racists on their racism is racist.

donttread
01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
He's not my president. Nor was Bush. The donkaphant does not follow the Constitution

Peter1469
01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
The real story has nothing to do with Romney nor MHP. It was about the double standard of the MSM and the liberal elite. Had someone on the right done something similar there would be calls for that person to be fired, boycotts of advertizes, and protests led by Al Sharpton and others leading clueless lemmings in circles. "Hey hey, what the hell we going'a say..."

... MHP is still on the Job Saturday's and Sunday's on MSNBC

Fredy
01-07-2014, 06:11 PM
lol - hey, look up. That's the meaning sailing over your head.

The phrase is hoist by your own petard, at least it is in English.

Fredy
01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Lmao so now we're racist for blacks apologizing to other blacks?

Mitt Romney's black?

Max Rockatansky
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
I believe it's because he's a racist like Melissa Harris-Perry and the author of the OP article, Britteny Cooper. Why are racists like them given a pass yet we condemn, and rightfully so, racists like David Duke or whites who make racially insensitive remarks like Don Imus and Rush Limbaugh?

Mr. Right
01-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Insulted, outraged, appeased. Lather, rinse, repeat. Or did I miss something?

Max Rockatansky
01-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Insulted, outraged, appeased. Lather, rinse, repeat. Or did I miss something?

You didn't miss a thing.

Could anyone imagine Walter Cronkite or Huntley & Brinkley because caught up in BS like this? Of course not. They were professional journalists. Something we don't have anymore.