PDA

View Full Version : Are Americans ethnocentric?

nathanbforrest45
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Yesterday, in a thread about global warming I think, I was accused of being ethnocentric and by extension so were all Americans. Are we ethnocentric? I would say yes we are and we have every right to be. America has produced more wealth, more scientific discovery, afforded more people equal rights and opportunities than any other country on the planet. We have the most diverse population in the world with immigrants from almost every other country, all living in relative peace and harmony. We don't have Basque Separatist, or Shiites killing Sunni's or One tribe fighting another tribe. While we are not perfect we are certainly better than anywhere else considering the vastness of the country and the wide range of cultures that exist.

One reason we are better than anyone else is because quite simply every other country has sent us their best and brightest and we have taken those best and brightest and given them opportunities that did not exist in their birth countries.

So, in my opinion we have every right to be haughty and ethnocentric. When the rest of the world catches up to us we might change our tune.

patrickt
01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Ethnocentric means inherently better. Not better because of history or factual information but just inherently better. That would be the French.

I am not ethnocentric. I accept Mexicans, British, Spaniards, Italians, Japanese, Chinese, Israelis, and many other nationalities as quite worthy. Not the French, of course, but a lot of others. Canada would be on my list if it wasn't for Quebec. They're French wannabees.

I can certainly see flaws in America and think every American has a right to comment on and discuss and suggest solutions for the various flaws. Others, can mind their own business.

donttread
01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Absolutely we are

Yesterday, in a thread about global warming I think, I was accused of being ethnocentric and by extension so were all Americans. Are we ethnocentric? I would say yes we are and we have every right to be. America has produced more wealth, more scientific discovery, afforded more people equal rights and opportunities than any other country on the planet. We have the most diverse population in the world with immigrants from almost every other country, all living in relative peace and harmony. We don't have Basque Separatist, or Shiites killing Sunni's or One tribe fighting another tribe. While we are not perfect we are certainly better than anywhere else considering the vastness of the country and the wide range of cultures that exist.

One reason we are better than anyone else is because quite simply every other country has sent us their best and brightest and we have taken those best and brightest and given them opportunities that did not exist in their birth countries.

So, in my opinion we have every right to be haughty and ethnocentric. When the rest of the world catches up to us we might change our tune.

sachem
01-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Ethnocentric means inherently better. Not better because of history or factual information but just inherently better. That would be the French.
:grin:

darroll
01-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Yep it's kinda like birds of a feather.

If you are unhappy, surround yourself with this group of people.

iustitia
01-08-2014, 07:30 PM
We're not the greatest people any more. Just the least shitty. Which doesn't say much.

Guerilla
01-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Everyone here seems to forget that America was built on manipulation, deception, and even some atrocities. These things have continued throughout it's history.

Anyone who thinks so highly of America, either supports these things or apparently doesn't know there own history.

iustitia
01-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Or they at the very least hold the principles the nation was founded on in high regard.

patrickt
01-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Everyone here seems to forget that America was built on manipulation, deception, and even some atrocities. These things have continued throughout it's history.

Anyone who thinks so highly of America, either supports these things or apparently doesn't know there own history.

And the liberals are proud to say that they maintain this great tradition.

Of course, Guerilla used to poop in his pants so anyone who thinks highly of Guerilla either supports pooping in your pants or doesn't know Guerilla's history.

In LibWorld, the sins of some fathers are visited on the sons but some sons get to blame it on someone else like, oh, George Bush.

Guerilla
01-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Or they at the very least hold the principles the nation was founded on in high regard.

Yes I too like the principles outlined in the constitution. But those seem small to me when compared to our history. When our principles are put side by side with our actions, their is extreme hypocrisy shown everywhere. It makes the good in the constitution null.

Guerilla
01-09-2014, 04:13 AM
And the liberals are proud to say that they maintain this great tradition.

Of course, Guerilla used to poop in his pants so anyone who thinks highly of Guerilla either supports pooping in your pants or doesn't know Guerilla's history.

In LibWorld, the sins of some fathers are visited on the sons but some sons get to blame it on someone else like, oh, George Bush.

Using your comparison that I used to poop myself, you seem to think then that America has grown up from it's old childish behavior. But in reality, America's shitting on itself more than ever lol

iustitia
01-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Yes I too like the principles outlined in the constitution. But those seem small to me when compared to our history. When our principles are put side by side with our actions, their is extreme hypocrisy shown everywhere. It makes the good in the constitution null.

Some of us strive for what others have destroyed.

Guerilla
01-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Some of us strive for what others have destroyed.

What makes you think it is more achievable for us? It seems people everywhere are always fighting their government in some way or another. I think the efforts are futile and that a government isn't even really necessary. Anything good about America was done by the people and achievable without government. On the other hand government has done nothing really miraculous, and in the meantime, as I said have shown extreme hypocrisy and done many immoral things, at every turn, that I don't think would have happened if it hadn't existed. So what's the point? Why try to harness the beast? Just put it down.

iustitia
01-09-2014, 05:17 AM
What makes you think it is more achievable for us? It seems people everywhere are always fighting their government in some way or another. I think the efforts are futile and that a government isn't even really necessary. Anything good about America was done by the people and achievable without government. On the other hand government has done nothing really miraculous, and in the meantime, as I said have shown extreme hypocrisy and done many immoral things, at every turn, that I don't think would have happened if it hadn't existed. So what's the point? Why try to harness the beast? Just put it down.

That's the point.

Guerilla
01-09-2014, 05:26 AM
That's the point.

So we are at an understanding? Or...what

iustitia
01-09-2014, 05:46 AM
The "pride" is based on the notion of exceptionalism, opportunity and personal success. Most of our greatness came from individualism, not the crown or class system. It's very true that individuals were America's pioneers, and that was the whole point of Americanism.

Germanicus
01-09-2014, 06:16 AM
I can certainly see flaws in America and think every American has a right to comment on and discuss and suggest solutions for the various flaws. Others, can mind their own business.

Your land is my land.

And we are going to fuck your bit right up. Maybe USA should have minded its own business before you nazi freaks stuck your noses into everyone elses.

My land!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNNR8UX7oKk

USA business is our business.

sachem
01-09-2014, 07:52 AM
That's not very nice.

nathanbforrest45
01-09-2014, 10:17 AM
The "pride" is based on the notion of exceptionalism, opportunity and personal success. Most of our greatness came from individualism, not the crown or class system. It's very true that individuals were America's pioneers, and that was the whole point of Americanism.

Well at least one person gets it.

nathanbforrest45
01-09-2014, 10:19 AM

America was built on the backs of dreamers and doers. Risk takers and opportunity seizers. Liberals and naysayers would destroy that and turn us into Eurofags.