PDA

View Full Version : Obama Says Apology Aimed at Safety and Welfare of the Troops.....

MMC
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
President Obama was worried about the safety of American troops and civilian workers in Afghanistan when he apologized to that country's president, Hamid Karzai, over the burning of Qurans at the largest US military base there, the White House said Friday.

"The president believed it was in the best interest of their safety to make it clear that an apology was appropriate, and that the American people -- and the American military, in particular -- does have respect for the religious views and the religious practices of the Afghan people," spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters.

There was no sign that Obama's apology -- or Karzai's subsequent appeal for calm -- was having much of an effect on public anger in Afghanistan, where a fourth straight day of violent protests left 7 more people dead (http://news.yahoo.com/more-quran-protests-leave-7-dead-afghanistan-182606510.html)—bringing the overall toll to at least 20.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-apology-aimed-safeguard-safety-welfare-troops-afghanistan-193448512.html

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I agree with the apology even though I think the whole thing is silly.

Conley
02-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Am I wrong or is Obama apologizing for apologizing? :laugh: :cry:

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
What we're doing in Afghanistan is obviously a waste of time and resources but I'm also coming to believe it's an atrocity as well. Why all this mayhem? To bring our mores to that moonscape in the name of "humanity"? Pffft. That said, I have less respect for these people than I might otherwise have had. Less sympathy too.

MMC
02-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Don't ya just luv the part about he was Concerned for the Safety and Welfare of the Troops. :rollseyes: Although it seems when the Afghanis protest about something. They like to kill their own people. Toll up to 20.

Maybe we just need to let them protest all over the place. I think their numbers will go down!

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I agree with BO on that. He's right and that should be his primary (indeed his only) concern.

Conley
02-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I agree he should be concerned about the troops. So bring them home and let the Afghans sort out their own problems. It seems most of them want Taliban rule anyway.

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
I agree he should be concerned about the troops. So bring them home and let the Afghans sort out their own problems. It seems most of them want Taliban rule anyway.

BO obviously supports our civilizing mission but I do agree with him that, in this case at least, it's wise to apologize even if the Afghan reaction to the burnings is laughable.

Conley
02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Our "civilizing" mission? That's hilarious...but an apt descriptor. It has been a miserable failure. I guess you could make the argument that without the apology things would be even worse but the apology didn't seem to make much of a difference to the crowd. I get what you're saying though.

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Our "civilizing" mission? That's hilarious...but an apt descriptor. It has been a miserable failure. I guess you could make the argument that without the apology things would be even worse but the apology didn't seem to make much of a difference to the crowd. I get what you're saying though.

Yeah, I doubt it will. Honestly, it seems to me that the peoples of the Mid East like being outraged like we like sports. Still, what's he supposed to do? IMHO, he did the right thing. In fact, he did the only sensible thing specific to this situation.

Conley
02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I doubt it will. Honestly, it seems to me that the peoples of the Mid East like being outraged like we like sports. Still, what's he supposed to do? IMHO, he did the right thing. In fact, he did the only sensible thing specific to this situation.

:roflmao: Nailed it.

I don't think Obama is perceived as weak internationally as some think. This is a guy who has really stepped up the drone attacks, bombed Libya, had OBL killed and his body dumped at sea, etc. I don't think the apology really has any effect on that.

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Oh, definitely. He pays lip service to the vision he brought into office (we're arrogant, we need to listen more, blah blah) but he pretty much followed Bush's lead. I guss his briefing upon taking office dispelled whatever illusions he had may have had.

MMC
02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
I was going with Conleys thinking. If you really cared. You would pull them out from a Conflict that gains us nothing. How are they going to say we won the War? Oh, thats right we got Bin laden and some other ranking members of AQ

We went in with intentions of taking out AQ.....then turned it to the Taliban. Now We are leaving because we can say they have held Democratic Elections. But we are giving the Country back to the Taliban. Then we are releasing 5 High ranking members of the Taliban. Then to top it off, not only are we leaving their Country. But then we are giving them an office in Qatar. Helping to expand their ways.

If this is winning a War. I sure hate to see what it looks like if we lose one. Especially under any Democratic Administrations.

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Like I said, I think he believes in what we're doing in Afghanistan. That's not incompatible with caring about the safety of our troops and exposing them to unnecessary dangers. His apology was the right thing to do.

Peter1469
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Michael Yon, the famous war correspondent (and ex-SF stud) is predicting a US troop "breakout" where they kill their Afghan partners, because they can no longer trust them. If that happens I will volunteer to activate to defend one of them.

MMC
02-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Like I said, I think he believes in what we're doing in Afghanistan. That's not incompatible with caring about the safety of our troops and exposing them to unnecessary dangers. His apology was the right thing to do.

Well he at least had to Apologize to Karzai.....as Petraeus had to do with the same issue and that preacher. At least for the safety of the troops. Still Karzai should have pointed out to his people about those who had written in their Holy Book as well. That such was a desecration too.

Peter1469
02-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Of course he had to apologize; one Muslim to another.

Mister D
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Michael Yon, the famous war correspondent (and ex-SF stud) is predicting a US troop "breakout" where they kill their Afghan partners, because they can no longer trust them. If that happens I will volunteer to activate to defend one of them.

SF in Vietnam had contingency plans to drop all their Vietnamese "comrades". I can't say I'd be surprised if such a thing were to happen even on a large scale.

Mister D
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Of course he had to apologize; one Muslim to another.

:grin:

Mainecoons
02-25-2012, 04:12 PM
:roflmao: Nailed it.

I don't think Obama is perceived as weak internationally as some think. This is a guy who has really stepped up the drone attacks, bombed Libya, had OBL killed and his body dumped at sea, etc. I don't think the apology really has any effect on that.

Not bad for a guy with a Nobel Peace Prize, eh?

Just another Demican/Republicrat getting us into one foreign military misadventure after another. Al Qaeda has to love this guy though, he "liberated" a lot of Libyan military hardware that is finding its way into their hands.

Conley
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Not bad for a guy with a Nobel Peace Prize, eh?

Just another Demican/Republicrat getting us into one foreign military misadventure after another. Al Qaeda has to love this guy though, he "liberated" a lot of Libyan military hardware that is finding its way into their hands.

I forgot all about that Peace Prize. I wonder if they can ask for it back?

Oh yeah, that hardware is showing up all over the place. One report I posted had a good amount of those RPGs being used in Africa.

MMC
02-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Didn't something show-up in Hawaii too?

Mister D
02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Didn't something show-up in Hawaii too?

Hopefully his birth certificate! :shocked: :laugh:

Alias
02-27-2012, 01:11 PM
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/02/27/a-heartfelt-apology-to-president-karzai/

MMC
02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/02/27/a-heartfelt-apology-to-president-karzai/

That is awesome Alias.....I hope she is right and the Obama Admin gets this video. Because then Obama will see for himself. This time round. The Black Vote won't be just voting for the black guy.

Alias
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Apologizing to our enemy does not protect American soldiers. Killing our enemy protects American soldiers.

MMC
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEctbGSkkw

Heya Alias.....Hope ya don't mind me putting up. Let others see and hear whats being said. :wink:

Conley
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow, she got really dressed up for the camera. :laugh:

She's right though.

MMC
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxY1go8hTK4

MMC
02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpdIEPBQP3w&feature=related

This guy is a Neo.....but he is right too.

Alias
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM

Heya Alias.....Hope ya don't mind me putting up. Let others see and hear whats being said. :wink:

Of course I don't mind. Spread it everywhere. She's right on.

Peter1469
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Obama should not have apologized. That is what he has a Sec of State for.

Obama should tell the Afghan president to control his sub-humans or they will be dealt with.

Mister D
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

If you disagree with her you are obviously a racist. :grin:

MMC
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
If you disagree with her you are obviously a racist. :grin:

Uhm.....But if we agree with her. Does this mean we are against Obama for any reason.

Mister D
02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Uhm.....But if we agree with her. Does this mean we are against Obama for any reason.

I'm not sure how that works. I guess it comes down to who's blacker. Since Obomba is half white I think she wins. Her blackness trumps Obomba's so you are less of a racist of you agree with her and disagree with Obobma. This shit gets complicated though.

MMC
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
:icon_scratch:

Mister D
02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
We wil have to find us a good liberal to get some insight into this.

MMC
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
We wil have to find us a good liberal to get some insight into this.

There is such a thing as a good, liberal? :laugh: :thinking: ..... :nono: