PDA

View Full Version : UN Atomic Energy: Iran Rapidly Expanding Nuke Work.....

MMC
02-25-2012, 09:44 AM
VIENNA (AP) — Iran has rapidly ramped up production of higher-grade enriched uranium over the last few months, the U.N. nuclear agency said Friday, in a confidential report that feeds concerns about how quickly the Islamic republic could produce an atomic bomb.

The International Atomic Energy Agency report also said Iran failed to give a convincing explanation about a quantity of missing uranium metal. Diplomats say the amount unaccounted for is large enough to be used for experiments in arming a nuclear missile.

But the report contained little assurances the country's activities are purely peaceful. Instead, it also confirmed that two IAEA missions to Tehran within less than a month had failed to dent Iran's refusal to assist an IAEA probe of suspicions the country has been secretly working on aspects of a nuclear weapons program.

The report obtained by The Associated Press said the agency continues to have "serious concerns regarding possible military dimensions to Iran's nuclear program."

The IAEA team was comprised of senior officials, but the international sources described the Iranian negotiating team as "go-betweens," with no authority to commit to cooperating with the agency's probe.

Among these were indications that Iran has conducted high-explosives testing to set off a nuclear charge at Parchin — a military site that the IAEA team was refused access to on both recent visits to Iran.
Other suspicions include computer modeling of a core of a nuclear warhead and alleged preparatory work for a nuclear weapons test and development of a nuclear payload for Iran's Shahab 3 intermediate range missile — a weapon that could reach Israel.

The report said Iran appeared to have a structured weapons-development program up to 2003; that some work continued past that date, "and that some may still be ongoing," adding that the agency believes its information on which its suspicions are based is "overall, credible."

In an apparent attempt at damage control before his March trip to the White House, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered his ministers not to speak publicly about Iran, Israeli officials said Friday.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/un-atomic-agency-iran-rapidly-expands-nuke-164020396.html
<<<<<More Here. A lot More!

Looks Like there will be War. According to the AEIA's report they have tripled their quantity just with in the last few months. They have already tested at Parchin. Where no one seemed to notice anything or any blip on a map. I think the Israelis exaggerated on how many bombs Iran has. But one thing is clear. They know they have more than enough for just one.

Iran has stalled out the talks. We are upping our defnesive capabilities in the Gulf. IMO Israel is going to act. Then it begins. The Iranians must be figuring on the problems with Syria. As a Diversion.

Peter1469
02-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I guess the logical question is whether China and Russia will defend Iran, and will they use nuclear weapons.

Conley
02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Could Iran test a nuke (say, far underground) and avoid detection? Part of the reason I don't think they have the capability yet is because no one has reported on any tests. If they can do it without being spotted though, then all bets are off.

Peter1469
02-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think that it is possible.

Peter1469
02-25-2012, 10:33 AM
That is why they would likely test it over Israel.

Conley
02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
That is why they would likely test it over Israel.

Right, and I don't think they can...yet.

Mister D
02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Could Iran test a nuke (say, far underground) and avoid detection? Part of the reason I don't think they have the capability yet is because no one has reported on any tests. If they can do it without being spotted though, then all bets are off.

How would they do that? I'd imagine that would cause massive tremors.

Conley
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
How would they do that? I'd imagine that would cause massive tremors.

I don't know. Just thinking out loud...I don't think it could be done without detection. I'm trying to remember when Pakistan did theirs and it was detected but of course India was already watching them closely and right next to them geographically. Iran has a little more room to operate depending on where they run the test.

Mister D
02-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't know. Just thinking out loud...I don't think it could be done without detection. I'm trying to remember when Pakistan did theirs and it was detected but of course India was already watching them closely and right next to them geographically. Iran has a little more room to operate depending on where they run the test.

We know (and they know) they are under surveillance It seems to me that the whole point is for everyone to know they have a weapon. I'm not sure they would want a test to be undetected.

Conley
02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
We know (and they know) they are under surveillance It seems to me that the whole point is for everyone to know they have a weapon. I'm not sure they would want a test to be undetected.

They might want it to remain undetected because this whole time they've claimed that they weren't working on one. They might want to keep that illusion going right up until they detonate it in Israel.

Mister D
02-25-2012, 10:47 AM
They might want it to remain undetected because this whole time they've claimed that they weren't working on one. They might want to keep that illusion going right up until they detonate it in Israel.

Chilling but possible. I wouldn't put it passed the mullahs.

Conley
02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it's a disturbing thought. MMC has said that Israel believes Iran already has the capability. I think if they did they would have tested it and made it known. I'm just trying to think of reasons why they might not.

Peter1469
02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
We have satellite coverage to detect any nuclear detonation on earth.

Conley
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
We have satellite coverage to detect any nuclear detonation on earth.

Would sats work with deep underground testing? I would think a seismograph would be of more use.

Mister D
02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Would sats work with deep underground testing? I would think a seismograph would be of more use.

If such a blast were contained like that I'd imagine that the there would be serious seismic issues.

Peter1469
02-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Looks like it is coming.

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/satellite-system-provide-earlier-earthquake-warnings

MMC
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah, it's a disturbing thought. MMC has said that Israel believes Iran already has the capability. I think if they did they would have tested it and made it known. I'm just trying to think of reasons why they might not.

Obliteration.....would be a starting factor. As thats what will take place if this all begins. Pete is right, now it's what are Russia and China going to do. Russia moreso as they have already come out stating any attack on Iran is a threeat to their National Security.

Is the AEIA questioning what took place at Parchin? Seismic activity Would show I think. But then again it could have came off as some sort of seismic tremors. Who would know if the whole region was rocked with tremors and or Quakes?

Conley
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Obliteration.....would be a starting factor. As thats what will take place if this all begins. Pete is right, now it's what are Russia and China going to do. Russia moreso as they have already come out stating any attack on Iran is a threeat to their National Security.

Is the AEIA questioning what took place at Parchin? Seismic activity Would show I think. But then again it could have came off as some sort of seismic tremors. Who would know if the whole region was rocked with tremors and or Quakes?

Right, I was wondering that about quakes. I bet they have the tools to figure out which are weapon testing and which are natural. For one thing they have records of fault lines. If there's a quake with no fault line, that must cause suspicion.

MMC
02-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Right, I was wondering that about quakes. I bet they have the tools to figure out which are weapon testing and which are natural. For one thing they have records of fault lines. If there's a quake with no fault line, that must cause suspicion.

Problem there is the region is constantly hit by quakes and or tremors. Isn't there some major fault line that runs all thru there? Althought that might be along their mountainous regions.